Park override

jetmech54

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk4, 1.9L, BEW, 393000 Km
So here’s the story I lost my one and only key to my 04 Jetta wagon. Very much grief from the wife. I went to the stealership bought a replacement key which won't be in for about 3 - 5 days that really sucks. I want to get my car towed to the dealer ahead of the key showing up but with no key I can't shift it into neutral so the tow truck driver can move it without damaging the car, if I can get the door open how do I go about overriding the parking switch.

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
Tow truck drivers can use dollies to get it transported. Give them a call and explain your situation.

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
If you can pop the hood, (that's another nice job from the outside but, it can be done), you should be able to move the trans selector lever out of park. Might have to detach it from the shifter cable to do so. Hope your front wheels are pointing straight ahead.

or...
detach one inner axle joint.

I like the tow truck and dolly idea the best.

Last edited:

maybe368

Veteran Member
TDI
Happily none
Yeah, those dollies get used a lot, it is no big deal. If you have ever seen a repossession pickup, with one of those hidden "scoopers" (so that they can get by guards at apt complexes", you know it is very easy. They just scoop it up, drive it down the street and then secure it...Mark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJQquGsa7iw Edit: This is not the pickup type,but they have them

Last edited:

jetmech54

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk4, 1.9L, BEW, 393000 Km
so I was able to get it towed, they ended up using the dollies so all is good now. cost me a fortune to replace the key and a lot of grief from the wife so I guess I wont be loosing my key again.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Yea, yo mentioned the grief.
Just be sure when it's done, you have 2 keys. You can get a valet cut from a photo.

maybe368

Veteran Member
TDI
Happily none
so I was able to get it towed, they ended up using the dollies so all is good now. cost me a fortune to replace the key and a lot of grief from the wife so I guess I wont be loosing my key again.

Did you get an extra made? Every one of my vehicles have a spare key hidden on it. I secure them in a place that is not all that easy to get to, but I can do it. On 1 vehicle, I hid the ignition key in the trunk and the trunk key on the car (different keys). In my old age, I have developed a nasty habit of shutting off the car, leaving the key in the ignition, jumping out of the carl and locking the door. I have done this several times in the past few years...Mark