GTB1756VK Initial Setup

GoremanX

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Audi A4 Avant quattro w/BHW TDI & 01E 6-speed
Finally got my TDI-converted Audi A4 on the road this week, been nice to get it out of the garage after all this time!

Now I'm having issues with getting the actuator setup properly on the GTB1756VK. This is a push-type actuator sitting on top of the turbo. It supposedly came pre-set by the seller, but I've since clocked and modified the actuator setup so many times, everything's out-of-whack and nothing works as expected.

Keeping in mind that this is a slightly bored-out 2.0 litre BHW mounted longitudinally...

From the info I've been able to find, I should have the set screw adjusted so that running Basic Setting 011 shows a difference of about 80 to 120 mbar while the N75 is cycled from 9% to 90% duty cycle. That's not too difficult, I achieved that easily (0.987 to 1.09x mbar).

Then I guess I need to make sure the actuator rod starts moving around 3 to 5 in-hg and bottoms out on the set screw around 17 in-hg. I was able to manage 6 to 17 in-hg, but that's about it. This does mean the actuator is still pulling up on the VNT lever when no vacuum is applied (ie, the lever is locked fully open and preventing the rod from moving all the way back into the vacuum canister). I haven't checked recently what the rod's range of motion is, but I believe it's about 10mm in this setup.

So with the engine idling in neutral, if I goose the go-pedal, the engine revs up to about 3000rpm, the exhaust pressure spikes (15+ psi), there's barely any boost (like less than 5psi), and the engine stumbles and misfires until I let it idle for a few seconds. When I release the accelerator, the actuator suddenly goes back to wide open and there's a loud whoosh of escaping exhaust that sounds almost like a BOV.

The only way I've been able to make the engine drivable is to adjust the set screw until the difference during Basic Setting 011 is only about 30 mbar. Even then, I never see more than 5-10 psi of boost while driving, and the exhaust pressure is always 2 to 3 times more than the boost (no, I'm not exaggerating). Increasing the engine load too much causes the same exhaust pressure spike followed by a WHOOSH of the N75 suddenly dumping the backed up exhaust. So I'm essentially feathering the accelerator all the time and keeping my revs up to reduce the need for boost.

I know the turbo is spinning, I took the inlet pipe off while the engine is idling and there's some serious sucking going on in there... the good kind of sucking. I can practically spin the compressor wheel just by blowing on it with my lungs, it spins super freely and smooth. As long as I keep the engine load down, the engine runs nice and smooth. But exhaust pressure is ALWAYS high and boost is ALWAYS low. I also know my gauges for boost and exhaust pressure are accurate because I tested them with a MightyVac.

So what am I doing wrong?

Last edited:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Any chance there could be an obstruction in the exhaust somewhere?

GoremanX

Veteran Member
TDI
Any chance there could be an obstruction in the exhaust somewhere?
I considered that, but I don't think so. If I disconnect vacuum from the actuator, there's never any exhaust pressure at all. I can rev the engine smoothly through 5000 rpm without issue. I *might* see the exhaust pressure needle move ever so slightly from 4000 rpm on up.

GoremanX

Veteran Member
TDI
Just did another test: connected the actuator straight to the vacuum pump and revved the engine to 2000 rpm. Exhaust pressure goes up a ton (like 10-15psi) but the boost needle never moves.

Maybe I have a huge boost leak and the ECU is just trying too hard to build boost that it never sees?

(for the record, the ECU tune is intended for this turbo)

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yeah, a boost leak would make sense.

GoremanX

Veteran Member
TDI
Yep... that's what it was. One of my hoses was on poorly and all the boost was leaking right out before the tube that runs under the radiator.

Now I gotta start the actuator setup all over again...

edit: hurray for my homemade boost leak checker! I now know that I have absolutely zero leakage in the intake path.

GoremanX

Veteran Member
TDI
Oh wow, what a difference. It's not quite dialed in yet, but it drives SO MUCH BETTER! No more stumbling and choking, I've got the whole rev range to play with. And it MOVES! On initial tip-in, exhaust pressure spikes to 2x boost pressure then immediately settles to 1.25x boost pressure for the duration of the gear. I could easily add a ton more air, it gets pretty smokey at high engine load.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Nice! Must feel great to have it running properly after all the work involved in the swap.

GoremanX

Veteran Member
TDI
Oh man... I can't even begin to describe the relief. It was supposed to be a 3-4 week project, not 1.5 years

GoremanX

Veteran Member
TDI
Got the actuator dialed in. I've got about 100 mbar difference during Basic Setting 011, which translates to just under 4 psi of boost at 2000 rpm in neutral with the lever sitting on the set screw. The rod starts moving between 4 to 5 in-hg. It bottoms out earlier than I'd like (15 in-hg), but that doesn't seem to be much of an issue. Exhaust pressure spikes to just over 1.5x boost pressure on tip-in, then settles down to just barely over boost pressure. Still smokes like a stack when I press too hard on the accelerator, so I haven't bothered to check the duty cycle during a 3rd gear pull. But the tune still needs to be finalized.

This thing flies like a bat out of hell :eek:

GoremanX

Veteran Member
TDI
Which exhaust manifold are you using for your 1756?
Stock BHW manifold with an adapter on the flange. Makes for a VERY tight fit. Took a bit of engineering to get the OEM airbox to fit without hitting the turbo, actuator or oil line.

edit: and I also retained the stock EGR cooler, which made for even less room to work with.