mTDI into a MK1 Jetta coupe td

mammonista

TDI
'83 Jetta 1.9 mTDI
Hi everybody,
Been forever since I posted here but now I'm nearing the point where I might finally get my swap running! :)
Swapped in a running TDI out of a '96 Passat into my '83 Jetta which came from the factory with a 1.6td. The TDI has been fitted with a mechanical Rover pump and about all that needs done is hook up the cable shifter on the 5-speed trans, install the clutch pedal (this thing came from the factory with an automatic - go figure), plumb the aftermarket intercooler and a few odds and ends.
One of those odds and ends is: how to hook up the glow plug wires? The TDI had one (or two?) wire(s) with a plug on 'cap' that ran from glow plug to glow plug. Is that right? Some of it has disappeared. What should go on there and what is the interface (if any) with the standard big wire that came from the glow plug relay on the original Jetta 1.6td?
Anybody?
And I have lost the little banjo bolt and hose fitting that bolts to injector #3? What is the proper name for that thing? Any anyone have an idea as to the source?
Thanks in advance.
Mark

Zeitgeist

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Variant and Vanagon mTDI
On my ALH mTDI project I used four poles of a Mercedes six junction connection plug so I could run individual wires to each glow plug. That way I can check individual plug resistance values when running diagnostics. The other side of the plug merges all four lines together and attaches them to a Mk2 glow plug relay. It's the rectangular black plug in the upper left of the pic. The relay is inside the grey box with the voltage meter

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat B4V, ALH engine out of a 2002 Jetta, some IE Rods and ASV Pistons. Nothing drivable yet though
Hooked up my glow plugs using individual wires to each plug that go to an inline fuse block for each plug then to a tractor starter solenoid then to the CE2 fuse box. Info can be found here.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
Just use the GP circuit original to the car. Terminate at the GPs with female bullet connectors or thread the ends and use ring terminals.

-Todd

therabbittree

Veteran Member
TDI
B4 passat, 2000 Golf, 2003 Allroad tdi
You can also use a ford style starter relay. Its large metal momentary switch. Wire to a push button trigger. Very very easy and lasts. Used them for years on vw and cummins heater grids

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk