TDI 76 Beetle

pdq import repair

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta
That is a thought we have embraced too. Could even do a whale tail type hood sort of thing. Don't want it to look to crazy though.
I looked through my photos and found a later prototype that we came up with, without such a prominent shelf. I had forgotten that it was revised as I havent seen it with the hood on for a while. It still sticks out but not quite as much.

I have hopes that I will get more time in the future to continue what madness we have started. I have a couple of other TDI swaps into different cars on the back burner that I would like to do after this one.

pdq import repair

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta
Right now the exhaust dumps behind the rear wheel in the left fender area. I would love to run it out the original hole but it is on the wrong side now for that. Probably just have it sneak out under the apron in the end.

Hasenwerk

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
1982 Cabriolet (BEW|VNT17|Stage4), 1989 VW TriStar Syncro soon-to-be CR TDI (CBEA), 2001 Ford Ranger Edge 4x4 (ALH|VNT17|R520|Stage4)
I think a grille on the flat section to match the number of openings just below the window would look perfect.

pdq import repair

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta
That would look good. We were wondering about cooling too early on and that might be a necessity as development progresses. They make those chrome grills that snap over the one below the window, maybe we could re-purpose one of them.

So many things pop up when you are trying to put the right engine in the wrong car.

didget69

TDI
Jetta
Rehashing Old Thread

My experience is that if you use a cast aluminium adapter plate (like Kennedy Engineered), the studs will eventually pull out as the material is too soft. I had this happen with my former Vanagon TDI were the engine (ALH) was supported by the pulley side motor mount. The weight / torque eventually pulled out the bottom studs on the adapter plate. I ended up making a pair of metal pieces that bolted to the engine and the other half of these bolted to the transmission and an M10 bolt / nut on these metal pieces is what held everything together.

If you'll recall, a couple of people mentioned having had/heard of issues with the lower engine studs pulling out of the Kennedy adapter plate.

Keep In Mind: the stock Vanagon setup uses a transmission 'tail' mount at the nose cone end, then uses a Vanagon mustache bar to support the Subaru or VW inline engine on opposite end. The lower studs pull out due to 'sagging' point where Kennedy adapter bolts to Bus/Vanagon trans.

The VW T1 trans uses what is basically a 3-point mount for the trans, with trans bolted into chassis at nose cone & at trans support bracket at bellhousing, all supported in the frame forks. Then VW inline engine/Kennedy adapter plate combo is bolted to the VW T1 trans. If anything fails / strips out or pulls adapter plate studs, it would theoretically be at the TOP of Kennedy Adaptor... not at the bottom in T1 install.

bnc