VW Settles for 14.7 Billion!

Muggins

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf GL 4dr 5spd
If this $hitstorm does not bring down Volkswagen, nothing will. The only winners out of this whole ungodly mess are the lawyers. As usual. The amount of extra pollution caused by the cheat is minuscule, insignificant, in my opinion. The TDI is STILL a great engine, providing exactly what this website is subtitled: Economy longevity, performance.

Had to laugh at the hyperbole of the one owner, Melissa Pointer, who started the on-line registration process website in the US. She's "desperate to get rid of" her Jetta diesel. Desperate!! lol Where does this desperation come from? It's not a life and death situation. If she wants to get rid of it so badly, then sell it or scrap it.

yhmtdi

TDI
'01 Golf TDI, '00 Golf 1.8T
What has always bothered me is that NOWHERE has anyone said what the actual NOx levels are in ppm or in comparison to diesel pickups or gasoline cars - just the nauseating 'up to 40x' bs. But 40x what exactly? I wouldn't doubt that even at 40x what the limit was they are still below what diesel pickups are allowed, because pickups are made in north america and VW diesels are not.

My nickel's worth...

Tsagoth

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon Automatic
What has always bothered me is that NOWHERE has anyone said what the actual NOx levels are in ppm or in comparison to diesel pickups or gasoline cars - just the nauseating 'up to 40x' bs. But 40x what exactly? I wouldn't doubt that even at 40x what the limit was they are still below what diesel pickups are allowed, because pickups are made in north america and VW diesels are not.

My nickel's worth...
I recall reading that it was rather miniscule and the comment was 40x nothing is still nothing. Still, cue the outrage.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
The problem isn't the level of pollution it's the cheating.

Muggins

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf GL 4dr 5spd
Ham handed, over the top response to a minor transgression that's resulted in the death of a fine engine type.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ben Johnson only cheated a little too.

TDIFred

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Sportwagen, 2009, Graphite
Ben Johnson only cheated a little too.
Your point? So did Carl Lewis...only he was exonerated.

On another point...the news is in. I can keep the car, get it fixed and pocket the $5100 OR sell it back and get $13k, the difference is $8k. Does not seem fair, so keep the cr is where I am leaning, and get the fix.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Doesn't exonerwte means he wasn't found guilty?

Anyhow, did VW tell you what the fix was?

clamb

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf Wagon; 2010 Golf Wagon
There is another proposal for a fix nov 11 if im not mistaken. We also have an american jetta wagon.. May get the fix as well... Its in mint shape.

mxs

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Your point? So did Carl Lewis...only he was exonerated.
On another point...the news is in. I can keep the car, get it fixed and pocket the $5100 OR sell it back and get $13k, the difference is $8k. Does not seem fair, so keep the cr is where I am leaning, and get the fix.
What's the mileage on your 09 ... so I can relate the $8K offer you got. I assume this is in USD correct?

TDIFred

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Sportwagen, 2009, Graphite
What's the mileage on your 09 ... so I can relate the $8K offer you got. I assume this is in USD correct?
125000-130000 miles...yes, this will be, but has not been confirmed. My registration is not in California, it might still be refused.

PS I did not know the name of the former German chancellor would trip the filter police...yikes. touchy about the 'inventor' of the People's Car.