2015 Wuste Interstateless Road Trip

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat B4V, ALH engine out of a 2002 Jetta, some IE Rods and ASV Pistons. Nothing drivable yet though
Hey everyone, I figured I would document my road trip from Golden, CO to Las Vegas, NV for the 2015 Wuste Car Show. My plan is to make the trip without using any interstates because I have made that drive many times and it's boring, mundane and I would love to see parts of these states that I have not yet. I will be camping with friends in Buena Vista for Memorial Day and will leave for Vegas straight from there. I'll be driving the 96 B4V and will be shooting to make it on one tank of fuel. Just filled it up yesterday with 23 gallons of diesel and she will sit until I leave for camping on Saturday or Sunday. I plan on either sleeping in the back hatch or find a couple of trees to prop my hammock between. Any recommendations for cheap, relatively quick sight seeing on the way? I plan on being able to see quite a bit while driving but if there are any stops that are absolutely recommended I'll do them. I'm very excited.

Justin

cascade7997

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf TDI sold, 2015 Golf SE TDI 6MT
That 22 hour time is extremely optimistic. Just looking at the attached map, the route into Telluride, CO appears to be on a jeep trail.
Good luck and have a great time

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
I know very little about the Colorado part of your drive, but you are going to be driving through some of the most spectacular scenery in the USA in Utah. There are a slew of National and State parks in southern Utah. I would especially recommend a stop at Bryce Canyon and Zion National parks, but Arches and several others are also pretty amazing. These parks are all relatively close together (in miles), but very different in scenery. The only problem with driving through this area is doing it in less than a week. There is just so much to see.

Have Fun!

Don

Last edited:

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat B4V, ALH engine out of a 2002 Jetta, some IE Rods and ASV Pistons. Nothing drivable yet though
Cascade, I won't actually hit Telluride, I'll be north of it on highway 62, the map is pretty far away so it's hard to tell.

Don, thanks, I know southwest CO is gorgeous but I haven't seen Northern Southwest. I suspect it will be as green as the northwest corner. This is the first time I have been excited about an actual journey. Driving from Prescott and Phoenix, AZ to Denver, CO during my college days I couldn't wait to get there.

cascade7997

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf TDI sold, 2015 Golf SE TDI 6MT
OK A couple places I hit a few years ago.

Natural Bridges National Monument is right on your path.

If you like dirt roads, look at the forest service road from Blanding UT up and around the Bears Ears and back to the paved road near Natural Bridges.

A small detour would be south to Mexican Hat, UT and the Moki Dugway
http://bluffutah.org/mokey-dugway-muley-point/
and Valley of the Gods
http://bluffutah.org/valley-of-the-gods/

I'll post my proposed 7 week trip in July.

Enjoy!!!

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
I have actually been to both Mexican Hat and VOTG when I was a religious young lad doing mission trips to Cortez but I'll check out those others for sure, thanks.

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
I made it safe and alive and have pictures of the trip. It was a fantastic drive through some of the most beautiful parts of the states that I have seen yet. Without further adieu.

Coming down Kenosha Pass.

The view from the camp site.

Blue Mesa Reservoir

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
Canyon that the San Juan River runs through.

BLM Land

From the top of Slickrock Hill

Pulled over and did a little hike in a wash in Utah.

Desert Sunset

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
Day Two desert sunrise at Hanksville, UT

Along the way I came up with a new game...Deer Clipping. Very simple, be the first to get to 10 points (low point system since this doesn't happen very often). The goal is to be driving and have a deer hit you, the less damage done to your vehicle while showing evidence of impact the more points you get. Points are lost for damage done to your car. 10 automatic points if there is evidence of impact, no daage done and the deer dies, that way you can throw it in back and have venison for the next year. I got 7 points this time.

Coincidentally I was on the phone with my insurance company about my windshield at the time. The call dropped as soon as I saw the deer running at my car so the last thing that insurance guy heard was "DEER!" *click*.

Dixie National Forest

One of Utah's National Parks, I think Escilante

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
Red Canyon in Utah

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
Zion National Park

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
Hiking in a canyon in Zion

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
Hole in a rock in the Mojave near the AZ NV border...it smelled like urine in there.

Just North of Mesquite

I-15 as seen from the frontage road.

I dont have an MFA so this is the best I could do.

Lake Mead from the North side

1090 miles on the same tank of fuel later I am in Henderson at the Toyota dealership meeting with my friend who works there. Shameless photos ensue.

After this trip I really have no desire to ever drive on an interstate again. I will admit I ended up having to drive on I-15 for about 10 miles and hated every bit of it. The google maps printouts were unclear as to one of the roads to turn onto after mesquite, it literally said Turn Left and the only left turn at that point was into what looked like a national park or recreation area so I didn't go down it. I hope you all enjoy these photos. I love this car.

Ton

Veteran Member
TDI
early 2001 jetta
I love the photos. I would hate to be your insurance man with that deer clipping business.

jekl843

TDI
2011 Golf TDI (sold), 2002 Jetta TDI 5spd, 2017 GTI SE 6spd
Fantastic photos! Truly inspiring road trip!

bikeprof

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 Variant white, 1996 Town & Country 3.8 LXI
HAHAHAHA, but you did get extra .5 of a point for yelling "DEER", before the impact!

Me has GREAT idea!
ORGANIZE a B4V GTG, other B4's that would want to come along would be nice...
Central USA like your coordinates would be fine(Denver area), this way mileage would be similar to most of us!

WHATCHA think?
Anybody?

P.S. my B4V has 380K now(50K since new engine)...

Last edited:

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
Wow, I just read this, back up from the dead. I would be game haha.