Vacuum or Turbo?

PolitesTDi

TDI
2000 Jetta TDi; 2006 Jetta TDi
I'm getting closer to solving my intermittent problem. It definitely is heat dependent. It's very hot here, and if I try to accelerate from a stop (especially on hills) I will come close to stalling or straight up stall even if I have the gas to the floor. If I try to drive in 2nd, like in a parking lot or in construction) it will hesitate/hiccup.

Not sure if these issues are related but definitely made worse by the heat or running AC. Think it's a vacuum hose for the stall? For the 2nd issue, not sure, but it sounds like opening and closing a zipper super fast under the hood. Any ideas? Thanks!

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
How hard are you trying to accelerate? Hard enough to be pushing boost? If so then you've likely got a bad pipe or pipe connection from your turbo.

PolitesTDi

TDI
I'm pretty easy on a clutch. It can be a pretty mellow hill, 15 degree slope. 35 is terrifying and I will almost always stall. I'm 40 and have driven standard in every vehicle I have ever owned. I have some clutch finesse.

If I ease into the gas it will stall. The only way it won't is if I slam the gas and wait a second. Then it will shoot like a rocket. At first I thought it was a fuel filter. It just seems like something isn't getting what it needs in the proper amount of time.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Might check to see if you've got some brakes hanging up. If it's not that then you're going to have to take it to someone to have diagnostics run.

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
Which car? And what is an '07 Jetta TDI?
When I give the VIN of my 06 to the VW dealer, it shows up in their system as an 07 model.:). It always creates some confusion for a minute or two.

If it's not that then you're going to have to take it to someone to have diagnostics run.
^^This. OBDII to the rescue. I bet VCDS would show the problem with a little bit of data logging.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
When I give the VIN of my 06 to the VW dealer, it shows up in their system as an 07 model.:). It always creates some confusion for a minute or two.
Yes, but it's an '06. Doesn't matter what the VIN says. You couldn't sell an '07 VW TDI in North America. Dealers had to swap owners manuals in the late production '06s because they came with '07 manuals.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
It's either a bad cam or the turbo actuator is crapping out.

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
I know. I'm just being difficult. :D
We couldn't tell.:D

I've seen a few 06 Jettas listed for sale locally as 07 models. Of course we know there were no 07 model TDI's...but I'm sure lots of people that bought them new in 2007 call them 07 models. I dunno. I know that my 06 is technically an 07 model, but in the grand scheme of things, it doesn't mean anything.

PolitesTDi

TDI
That explains that! Thanks I've corrected my husband. He's said it's a 2007. That's where he's getting it from. Anyway, I have the OBDII. I don't know how to read the logs... Or really how to get them properly. Drive around with my laptop?

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
You should be able to check for stored codes, check various settings just sitting in the driveway.
To check specific things like boost you need to drive with the laptop logging certain values.
The instructions for a VCDS are scattered all over, not real easy to learn on the fly. Start with Ross Tech they have the most instruction. The repair manual has some. Various internet sires (like here). Much reading and head scratching required.

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
The instructions for a VCDS are scattered all over, not real easy to learn on the fly. Start with Ross Tech they have the most instruction. The repair manual has some. Various internet sires (like here). Much reading and head scratching required.
This one is probably a little old, but it's a handy how-to for Data Logging with VCDS:

http://www.vaglinks.com/OBDII/Vag-com_Data_Logging_And_Graphing.pdf

I personally like reading the data logs in Excel, but that's just my own preference. Some folks seem to prefer graphs.

PolitesTDi

TDI
This is all great information. I prefer spreadsheets for most projects. Looks like I've got some reading and driving to do!