Midwest Light Creations- HID Headlights and Retrofit Kits (Headlights by Jeff)

Katahdin

TDI
2003 Wagon ALH
For the retrofit kit, the "North American" kit has smaller projectors than the Mini H1. The north american housings use a 9007 bulb and the opening in the reflector is smaller. Additionally, there is a protrusion from that opening about a quarter of an inch out from the surface of the reflector. What that means is that the larger Mini H1 will not fit into the housing in a "bolt on" application. It sticks out too far and the front headlight lens can't be put back on. That is in contrast to the European housings which use an H4 bulb that has a larger opening. The larger opening and lack of protrusion means the projector can sit back further and there is just enough room to bolt in the Mini H1 projector. If you wanted the larger projector in the North American housing you'd have to use a dremmel and cut yourself out a larger hole. But by doing so you'd also be cutting out the bolt mount surface and you'd have to epoxy the projector in place. In other words, it gets pretty messy fast, and very difficult to do well. Also very time consuming. For that reason, we offer the smaller projectors which are an easy bolt in option.
In terms of the projectors, the two will give you different output due to the different lens sizes (2.5" vs 1.8"). In essence, with the larger projectors you end up with the light spread more to the sides of the road, with the smaller you end up with more light in the center.
This is just the info I was really looking for! When I decide to drop the money on upgrading my headlights, I know exactly where I will be going! :cool:
Anything should have better output than my stock DOT buckets really.

TwinTurboKen

TDI
04 Jetta 5-spd TDI
Installed!

Had a couple small issues but Jeff assisted via email and got them sorted out. :)

Lights off.

City Lights on (parking lights)

Low beams on

Hi beams on

Last edited:

WutupYo

TDI
Jetta wagon
This question may already have been answered, but its such a long thread... My 05 has only on and off on the headlight switch. No fog or parking light options. If I were to get the 4.0 HID headlights, how would I get them to function correctly with the city lights and fog lights? Do I need to get a new headlight switch?

Also, the "GLI" style would have a black surround with chrome headlight area right?

Lastly, going with a clear turn signal the bulb itself is yellow/orange so it would still flash yellow correct?

I just sent an email as well. Probably should have done that initially.

Last edited:
TDI
I said this in reply to your email, but I'll say it here as well for others to read. You actually do have a parking light on your stock lights. It's the turn signal which will stay lit when you turn the headlight switch on. On the 4.0 that function is replaced with a separate bulb. So you have a dual filament turn signal bulb with the stock lights, and two separate single filament bulbs with the 4.0. The city/parking light will come on with your headlight switch. If you get a euroswitch you can turn them on by themselves with the 1st switch click.

GLI is black trim with chrome buckets, correct.

Correct on the turn signal as well. You can either have a clear lens with amber bulb, an amber lens with a clear bulb, or amber lens with amber bulb..but I suppose that would lose some brightness.

dcwilson

TDI
04 Jetta TDI Sport Edition
Any christmas/new years deals coming up? I'm in need to replace my fogged over e code replicas. I know you do offer these at a great price in USD, would get them in a heartbeat for that price. With a weak Canadian dollar currently, just the lights with shipping is over $400CAD :(.

TDI
No deals at the moment. Just so that everyone knows though, about 3 months ago we reduced all of our prices. We use to offer out lights at given prices and had various discount codes floating around, normally $25 or $30 off. A set of Jetta 4.0 lights for example use to cost $260 for a pair. We just decided to cut out the codes and drop the price permanently. So that same pair which could have been had for $235 with a coupon code, is now just priced at $235 and all the coupon codes are disabled. This was done with all sets of headlights with the exception of the Jetta e-code replicas due to what amounted to razor thin margins on those to begin with.

dcwilson

TDI
04 Jetta TDI Sport Edition
Thanks for the response and price explanation. Might have to wait it out until the CAD dollar gains some strength again. Thanks!

Bengoshi2000

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf (0M1)
So the internal headlight harness shorted out on the passenger side of my Golf. The insulation must have flaked off when I replaced a bulb last week... but I was in a hurry and wasn't paying attention. (And as you all know, you can change the oil, rotate the tires, and detail the interior in less time than it takes to change any bulb in the headlight housing... but I digress...)

Going to order a set from Midwest... not interested in a junk yard set nor crap market chineseum.

Customer service seems top notch from this thread and the price is right, deal me in.

tdanielson95

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 VW TDI
Jeff, lost your email and number. bought a set of 4.0 not quite a year ago i think. On the drivers side light, when you flip the high beams on, it will not open the "door?" to fully engage high beams. If you give it a few light taps, it will open. Is this something i can do or what do you suggest to do? Guessing its just sticky. Been doing it for a few months but just never did anything as i dont drive it much anymore. Thanks, Tobie

TDI
I've had this question come up a few times recently so I figured I would post it here. Main beam LED bulbs technically can be used inside the projectors in our headlights. However, there are a few things that should be known for anyone desiring to pursue that. 1. LED bulbs are generally not as bright as HID bulbs. Light can be measured in lumens and lux. Lumens is brightness as measured from a short distance by a meter. Lux is a measurement of light taking area into account. A bulb can be "bright" in lumens, but low in lux. LED bulbs tend to fall into this category. 2. aftermarket LED systems generally have a heatsink/fan on the back of the bulb. This will make it difficult if not impossible for that bulb to fit in the housing without further modification. 3. LED bulbs in HID projectors will not produce the same even pattern and sharp cutoff as a HID bulb. All in all, there is practically no advantage to putting an LED bulb inside a HID projector, and it will be inferior to a HID bulb in that same projector in every way.

brian_e

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Silver Jetta
Friends - I bought a HID set from Jeff just before Christmas and couldn't be happier. Truly plug an play. Far better job than the last set of retrofits I did myself. Job well done and they seem very reliable so far.

Cheers!
brian

Rookz

TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI
Hey Jeff, tried to contact you and haven't got any reply yet. I was asking regarding the update for my headlight that I purchased about 1.5 week ago, since I haven't receive any tracking code either. Please PM or email me at (Problem solved)

Prefer to be emailed though, as I don't seem to receive any notification on my email for PM received from tdiclub.com

Thanks!

UPDATE: I got an email from Jeff right away regarding the back order due to his first-born child. Congrats man and thanks for the yet fast reply during this time, really appreciated :)

Last edited:

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
I'd post this in a general forum but I believe that it may be associated with lights I got from Jeff.

Daughter's car, Installed a set of HIDs from Jeff a few months ago. Aimed. All seemed perfect (after an initial quality control issue which Jeff walked me through in dealing with- not major, but I believe it shouldn't have passed). Just after the install I went to show my wife and one of the lights didn't turn on when I hit the light switch. WTH? I jiggled the stock harness connector on that light (right side) and the light came on. Figured it was just a fluke and sent the car on it's way with the daughter. A while later I hear that the light is dropping out again. When I got my hands on the car I sprayed the connector with electrical contact cleaner and dabbed with dialectic grease. Son and I reseated the connectors. Felt pretty good that things would be resolved. Just the other day I hear that the lights are flaking out again, though I believe it's the left/driver's side now. Son jiggled the connector and managed to get all lights -including the fog light which I'd installed along with the HIDs- working. I'd suspect the car's wire harness if not for the fact that the independent, and new, wiring for the fogs is also dropping out. It would appear, then, that this is a connector issue. I would be interested in hearing if anyone else has run into a case where there's been a connection issue (possibly due to a quality problem associated with these new housings).

I spent a LOT of time chastising the daughter (and her ex-boyfriend) for installing crap HID kits, only to now be facing problems with these lights that I insisted on installing (as well as paying for). It has made me look like a fool and I'm less than happy about this. Not saying it's the product from Jeff, I really cannot say for sure, but I cannot see any other reason for this happening (especially given that the fog light, which is on it's own circuit and has a brand new wire, is also subjected to this problem). It sure seems like a flaky connection at this main connector: feels tight: didn't have this issue with the original/stock headlights/housings. I'm at a loss. (Wife suggested I replace the lights with stock ones- perhaps this would solve the connection issue but I'd be faced with an unhappy daughter- crappy lights.)

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
I'd post this in a general forum but I believe that it may be associated with lights I got from Jeff.

Daughter's car, Installed a set of HIDs from Jeff a few months ago. Aimed. All seemed perfect (after an initial quality control issue which Jeff walked me through in dealing with- not major, but I believe it shouldn't have passed). Just after the install I went to show my wife and one of the lights didn't turn on when I hit the light switch. WTH? I jiggled the stock harness connector on that light (right side) and the light came on. Figured it was just a fluke and sent the car on it's way with the daughter. A while later I hear that the light is dropping out again. When I got my hands on the car I sprayed the connector with electrical contact cleaner and dabbed with dialectic grease. Son and I reseated the connectors. Felt pretty good that things would be resolved. Just the other day I hear that the lights are flaking out again, though I believe it's the left/driver's side now. Son jiggled the connector and managed to get all lights -including the fog light which I'd installed along with the HIDs- working. I'd suspect the car's wire harness if not for the fact that the independent, and new, wiring for the fogs is also dropping out. It would appear, then, that this is a connector issue. I would be interested in hearing if anyone else has run into a case where there's been a connection issue (possibly due to a quality problem associated with these new housings).

I spent a LOT of time chastising the daughter (and her ex-boyfriend) for installing crap HID kits, only to now be facing problems with these lights that I insisted on installing (as well as paying for). It has made me look like a fool and I'm less than happy about this. Not saying it's the product from Jeff, I really cannot say for sure, but I cannot see any other reason for this happening (especially given that the fog light, which is on it's own circuit and has a brand new wire, is also subjected to this problem). It sure seems like a flaky connection at this main connector: feels tight: didn't have this issue with the original/stock headlights/housings. I'm at a loss. (Wife suggested I replace the lights with stock ones- perhaps this would solve the connection issue but I'd be faced with an unhappy daughter- crappy lights.)
I had a problem similar to yours. The problem I had was the metal connector pushes back inside of the water proof cover and doesn't properly seat (metal to metal, male to female). Not sure if that makes sense or not...

sardo_67

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL 6spd
Is it possible to get these with Halo rings for running lights instead of the amber?

golfclub

TDI
2000 TDI Golf
For the issue where you have to jiggle the connector on the back
of the light sometimes to get all the bulbs to work, has this problem been resolved?
I am seeing this show up on my recently installed lights also.

Peter

TDI
Peter,

Sorry man, been tied up moving to a new house this past week and forgot to reply to your email, which I just did. In reference to the issue with the main harness plug a few posts up, that was resolved and turned out to be the poster's fog light harness that he installed was not seated on the car-side plug correctly. There was also one issue a while back (JDSwan) where one of the main connector pins not being seated correctly and pushed back into the housing, but that was a solitary instance as far as I'm aware. Anyway, I replied to your email and hopefully a more detailed description will allow me to provide a resolution to whatever the issue is.

Jeff

tjpeterson96

TDI
04 bew jetta
I LOVE these things!

I bought these lights back when i was working my first minimum wage job and had to save up 2 months pay to afford these :cool: and i DO NOT regret it!!! i have had these lights installed almost 2 years now and they are FANTASTIC. Function perfectly as advertised. i got the insides painted black to match the theme of my car and man, i get SO many compliments. the 5k bulbs match perfectly with the white of the white/amber switchback led bulbs i have in my indicators, which make me feel like im driving an audi :D Had some initial problems with the lights because i had Jeff make them using my stock housings because i wanted to be able to use that particular signal bulb type :rolleyes: ran into multiple issues with the stock wiring harness being unusable and the adjustment mounts being broken, and after being repaired breaking again during shipping! :eek: had to be shipped back and forth twice, through no fault of his own, but he payed for it anyways :) at one point the relay harness malfunctioned and blew a couple fuses, understandable because he is not the one that makes them, and Jeff sourced some from a different manufacturer and shipped them to me expedited! Since then it has been over 1 year and the lights have performed flawlessly. the only issue if have is that occasionally i will turn the high beams on and one or both of the headlights will cut out. Very easy remedy just turn the highs off and back on. not too big of a deal, my stock headlights on my old car did that :p Jeff is very professional and a pleasure to work with even with my unique circumstances. Very nice guy, very quality product that he stands behind 100%. 10/10 would buy again.

Last edited:

sardo_67

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL 6spd
can I get these with 5k bulbs instead of the 4k? I do not see a spot on the website to change the option

Rechtsverdreher

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat (met its end), 2000 Jetta
Another nod to what Jeff can do. He did the lights on my Jeep Liberty and then showed me how to do some modifications!

Next, he obtained some really nice HID's for the Jeep Wrangler! Expensive but well worth it for the lighting upgrade. the Dodge Ram is next!!

Thanks Jeff for your help and patience with some of my questions!!

Chris Tobin

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta TDI
Hey Jeff,

I sent an email also, but figured I'd post here too...

My son had a deer jump out and hit his TDI and the headlight housing broke so we will need a new set of lights ASAP. Please call, text or email me ASAP so that we can get a replacement set built (2002 Jetta TDI with matte black inside and glass lenses this time) and get the car into the body shop.

Thanks,
CT

Rechtsverdreher

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat (met its end), 2000 Jetta
Jeff just put together my MkV HID's and they came in tonight. He has now put together lights for several of my vehicles! First class product he builds!