Comprehensive diagnosis for fuel economy?

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
RalphVa said:
Got the new TDI now. Guess I'll let the dealer put their Castrol Syntec in it for the next 3 years. Trying to find out whether this stuff is Exxon Baytown's oil made from slack wax (not a full synthetic). Castrol doesn't make a drop of oil. In the past, they bought it all from Exxon.
I hope you are just joking about using Castrol Syntec.... not an approved oil for 2010 TDIs.

Ask to see one of the oil containers. It will probably say "Product of the European Union" or something like that, and it probably comes in liters not quarts.

guruvanon

TDI
2010 jetta wagen
mileage expectation

Im a newbie to the diesel world I just bought a 2010 tdi wagen 6 speed manual 18 inch wheels , ive only got 3000 miles on it and dont get but 31 mpg in the city 39+ on the highway , is this normal I assume it will get better. also anybody know where to get the best diesel in cincinnati? Also the dealer told me never to use biodiesel is this correct?:confused:

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Im a newbie to the diesel world I just bought a 2010 tdi wagen 6 speed manual 18 inch wheels , ive only got 3000 miles on it and dont get but 31 mpg in the city 39+ on the highway , is this normal I assume it will get better. also anybody know where to get the best diesel in cincinnati? Also the dealer told me never to use biodiesel is this correct?:confused:
The fuel economy will improve as your JSW gets more miles on the odometer. You will also see more MPG when spring gets here, with quicker engine warmups and an end to the winter diesel blend. So yes, the current numbers you're observing are reasonable for a new TDI in a northern climate.

As for biodiesel... it is safe to use a 2% blend, aka B02. This would provide a bit of additional lubricity to the fuel, so would be good for all the fuel system components. B05 is less safe, and VWoA strongly discourages any blend greater than B05.

During the regeneration stage of the diesel particulate filter (DPF). raw fuel is injected into the cylinders and then flushed through to the DPF without igniting until it reaches the DPF. Some of this fuel can attach to the cylinder walls and be scraped down into the sump where it mixes with the engine oil.

Regular petroleum fuel, in small amounts, does not harm the lubricating qualities of the motor oil; but molecules of biodiesel tend to attach to metal and not allow either the base oil or the anti-friction additives in the engine oil to reach the moving metal parts.

If you must use a biodiesel blend of 5% or greater, then you MUST shorten the oil drain interval. Instead of changing the oil every 10k miles, you may need to shorten it to 5k miles or even 3k... which is necessary but can get very expensive.

Edit: I would also mention that the 18" wheels/tires will prevent you from getting the maximum fuel economy your JSW is capable of. There is a tradeoff, because those tires will give you better grip on the road -- but grip is just another name for friction. And the wheels and tires themselves are heavier, so it takes more energy to start them rotating. So the weight of the tires and wheels is more of a factor in stop-and-go traffic and not a factor on freeways and expressways.

Last edited:

smck

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 golf man, 2003 golf man
also anybody know where to get the best diesel in cincinnati? Also the dealer told me never to use biodiesel is this correct?:confused:
I fill up in Lawrenceburg at Mobil, at the Marathon in Harrison off 128 or the Kroger in Hebron depending on where I happen to be and who's got the best price. Haven't noticed much variation in mileage specifically related to where I fill. And welcome to the club.

MikeMars

Veteran Member
TDI
Vento 1.9 TDi (retired), A4 1.9 TDi (rear end collision), VW Passat 1.9 TDi (retired), Audi A2 1.4 TDi
How much fuel are you putting into each tank?
Is it an automatic or a manual?
What sort of trips do you do (urban or highway)?
How long is your average journey?

I presume it's the middle of winter where you are, so it'll be pretty cold... do you have a block heater?

PhDwannabe

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf & 1998 Jetta - Both Sold :(
98 Jetta 50% reduction in mileage

Hi, last week my Jetta would not start in the extremely cold weather here in the northeast. After much investigating I changed out all four glow plugs and now she fires up great, however I am now experiencing ~50% less in fuel mileage. Yes that is correct I am getting a stellar 19-20mpg. I also can smell diesel fuel coming from the exhaust and the engine compartment. I just got off the phone with a "trusted" tdi mechanic and he said I needed a new coolant temp sensor. Would this really cause that big of a drop in fuel mileage and cause the instense odor of fuel? I asked him to check the injection timing and he would not. Needless to say he was a complete ass to me and I will be taking the car somewhere else.

BruceH

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, Silver, 92,400 miles
I'm guessing this thread has been inactive for the past 4+ years. That's sad. While I'm in Texas, and haven't got *a lot* of cold weather problems, I was hoping to read the reply to PhDwannabe's message. <insert SIGH here>

kevinstephen

TDI
2015 Volkswagen

Here is a list of Cincinnati gases. Not sure which is the best though but this link do have prices, http://www.cincygasprices.com/index.aspx?fuel=D
Towing Springfield VA