What New in 2015/2016 Passat

Dr. Raoul Duke

TDI
2013 Passat SE
Anybody have any inkling of what is coming down the road. Are we EVER going to see 4 Motion again in a Passat or any of the other VW's other than possibly an SUV? Better headlights? Improved Bluetooth/Camera????????????
What does the future hold purportedly.

Dr. Raoul Duke

"One Mans Ceiling is another Mans Floor"
Paul Simon

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Who knows....

What I can say is the Passat concept car at the Detroit Auto Show did have different LED tail lights (not identical to the Chinese market ones), light coding that seems like it might let those lights work on a USA car, and a carpeted hat shelf. :cool:

-J

kulak

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat NMS
Probably just a couple of the luxury parts and features offered in Asian markets. It seems like there is a tunnel for a drive shaft between both rear seats.

mihneagabriel

TDI
2009 Jetta
Anyone know if it would be worth it to wait for the 2015 or get a 2014 right before the 15s are launched?

Anyone have info on the new engine?

Softrockrenegade

Veteran Member
TDI
None...2011 Golf DSG (replaced by VW W/) 2013 Passat SE 6M(bought back) Current 2017 sportwagen TSI 4Motion.
I doubt they will change the engine in the passat for 2015.

AtlantaRene

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE DSG w/Sunroof and Nav
The Blue Motion gasoline turbo with DSG looks interesting. (Please don't flame me)

A wagon is rumored but I doubt it's going to happen.

30_Yr_Dsl_Veteran

banned Ric Woodruff alias account and troll
TDI
2009 Jetta

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
I doubt they will change the engine in the passat for 2015.
If I were in the position to buy now or wait for a '15 with potentially a new engine, I'd buy now. In fact, I was in that position and that is part of the reason I bought a 14 instead of waiting.

The first year of anything is the year that's most probable to have issues. The last year of something is most likely to be the most reliable.. Look at TDI history... The 2003 ALH is widely regarded to be the best year. The 2009 Jetta was the first year of the common rail - it had a different exhaust system from the 2010+ cars that in the event of a DPF failure was going to cost $4k in parts to replace vs just replacing the DPF. The late 2013 / 2014 Passat has the upgraded turbo that is different from the one that seems to me more failure prone in the 2012 / early 2013 models.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I would say that 4motion is unlikely in a Passat. The Passat's main competitors don't offer it, and with VW's push for mass market (cheaper), and the government's push for CAFE (adding weight doesn't help), I don't see it happening.

Golf will see it in a few specialty models (like the R32), but again, the extra weight and friction is bad news for CAFE.

The new engine is the same one that the MQB-platform (Golf 7) is using; this is so that the engine is common between all vehicles. Out of any of the current TDI-powered vehicles, the Passat seems to be the one with the bugs ironed out the most. Balance that with the first-year uncertainties mentioned above.

Sooner or later the entire vehicle will move to MQB, but that's a full redesign, which is probably still two or three years out.

I would like to see the 1.4 TSI (gasoline) engine with cylinder deactivation happen, though ... It may render the TDI somewhat pointless, but I am in favor of "whatever works".

30_Yr_Dsl_Veteran

banned Ric Woodruff alias account and troll
TDI
2009 Jetta
The first year of anything is the year that's most probable to have issues. The last year of something is most likely to be the most reliable...
It is not like they are reinventing the wheel each time! It will basically be current engine with a few mods.

Maybe if you were considering getting very 1st year of Chevy Cruze diesel, those concerns would apply, but not to VW with a LONG TDI history.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
My Jetta Hybrid Sel Premium has that 1.4 engine doesn't have cylinder deactivate though.....and the 7 Speed Dty clutch DSG the car is nice!!

Nuttendiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL with Malone 1.5 tune, 2014 535d, 2008 F250 6.4
From autoblog.com

After generations of Passat sedans designed more to European tastes and needs, Volkswagen finally let loose in 2011 with a larger and less costly model engineered specifically with the North American market's tastes in mind. The Chattanooga, TN-built four door launched well on the strength of a couple of awards and serendipitous supply problems for VW's Japanese rivals, but it has since lost some of its sales momentum as a number of newer and fresher-faced competitors have emerged on the scene.

"We are quite aware that we have to do something to keep the car fresh in the market."

VW is keen to recapture some of the Passat's initial momentum, and officials believe it's going to have to dig a little bit deeper than its traditionally minimal midlife retouches in order to put the model on more consumers' shopping lists. We sat down at a roundtable with Michael Horn, VW Group of America CEO and Dr. Heinz-Jakob Neußer, head of VW Group powertrain development at the Geneva Motor Show today, and the executives confirmed that a "big facelift" is coming for the 2016 model year. "We are quite aware that we have to do something to keep the car fresh in the market," said Horn, who notes that the redesigned model will incorporate "a lot of new features, drivers' assistance systems and so forth."

No powertrain alterations were disclosed, but at the very least, there could be some significant visual changes in store. In fact, more significant mid-cycle changes could become the norm for VW, which traditionally has limited its alterations to things like modestly new light fixtures, wheel patterns and paint finishes. VW sees larger changes as a growing necessity, believing that it needs to shift the longer lifecycle philosophy it has had success with in Europe and in China. The expectations of US customers are "a little bit different," argues Dr. Neußer, "...they need a little bit shorter reworks of the car. Perhaps not so deep within the technical side, but more oriented to a fresh outside, to fresh designs. We are actually changing our philosophy on this."

The current Passat's crisply tailored looks have aged well, but they've also been dinged for being too restrained and derivative of the smaller and less expensive North American Jetta. Noting that some competitors have recently been taking bigger aesthetic chances in the historically conservative family sedan segment, Neußer acknowledged, "We are a little more conservative, but very precise. But we will move a little bit more into the direction [of progressive design] ... but not a u-turn, a correction."

JackMars

TDI
2015 Touareg TDi Highline R type
LED lights and new powertrain for the 2015 to come out in October of this year. No details on the interior changes. Hopefully someone at VW reads this forum and will fix ALL mistakes before shipping to the dealers.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
LED lights and new powertrain for the 2015 to come out in October of this year. No details on the interior changes. Hopefully someone at VW reads this forum and will fix ALL mistakes before shipping to the dealers.
I'll believe it when I see it.

Herkguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 passat SE sun/nav
The Jetta is getting a ton of tech safety and light upgrades and the TDI gets active grille shutters too. Hopefully the 2016 Passat will see all the same upgrades when it gets it's mid cycle update.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
We've driven SAABS for 42 years, living in rural Illinois, so we don't care about 4Motion, FWD is fine for us. The new "288" engine sounds attractive, but we'll wait for 2016 to give it a year out there, and a trade probably won't happen unless they've added a wagon to the lineup by then.....which I really don't anticipate. This 2013 Passat is an awfully nice car.