EA288 confirmed across the board by year end

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The 4 cyl CR engines came here the same time they got them. They had the PDs a few years before us, but that didn't mean those were not without hiccups for us early on, too. Heck, they couldn't even figure out the glow system on the BEW, BHW, and BKW engines.... took them three tries. :rolleyes: you'd think by 2004, the glow system on a diesel would be the least of their problems.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Where are you getting this upgraded oil line information? First I have heard of it.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
ETKA shows no difference in turbo oil feed line PN for '12 and '14. Nor are there any supersessions.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
That's what I figured. Speculation being passed off as information - not helpful to the cause at all.

Thanks for checking, Peter.

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
The 4 cyl CR engines came here the same time they got them. They had the PDs a few years before us, but that didn't mean those were not without hiccups for us early on, too. Heck, they couldn't even figure out the glow system on the BEW, BHW, and BKW engines.... took them three tries. :rolleyes: you'd think by 2004, the glow system on a diesel would be the least of their problems.
Well sort of. The Mk VI Golf came out in 2008 over there, a year before us.

Probably without the low-pressure EGR system that gives so much grief as well.

oilhammer

TDI
Came out in 2008 here, too. Just 2009 MY specifications already for us. We really didn't have as much of a diesel gap as a lot of people think. Two whole MYs yes, but the 2006s were built until the very end that they could legally have been, right alongside 2007 gassers for a few months, then the diesel 2009s were in production in the middle of 2008, right alongside 2008 MY gassers. We have some June/08 production 2009 TDIs that come through our shop.

Normally August is the cutoff, but not always. My 1993 MY Eurovan was also built in June of the prior year.

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
Although VW usually doesn't go that extreme with the cutoffs, even June is barely pushing it by modern automaker standards (whereas VW would rather do a half model year, many modern automakers will just increment the model year early).

I've seen a 1999 Miata built November 1997, as an extreme. (That isn't legal any more, January 1 of the previous year is the earliest you're allowed to go now. But, Mazda releasing new models with an extended late model year, rather than a truncated early model year, is definitely still a thing.)

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
Well, the 0% interest swayed me. I'm picking up a new Reflex Silver '14 Passat SEL Premium this afternoon. I'll miss the Tiguan, but looking forward to significantly improved mileage. I'll let them sort out the EA288 for a couple of years, then pick up a TDI Tiguan, or whatever they are offering by then.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I've seen a 1999 Miata built November 1997, as an extreme. (That isn't legal any more, January 1 of the previous year is the earliest you're allowed to go now. But, Mazda releasing new models with an extended late model year, rather than a truncated early model year, is definitely still a thing.)
My 1990 Miata was built in March 1989. I wonder when they'll start building the 2016 Miatas.

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
I'm thinking January or maybe February at the very latest, given that they said in an annual report that two new SkyActiv models would be launching by March 31, and the only two models announced that haven't been released are the 2 and Miata.

jerryfreak

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta GLS sedan @295K, 99 Jetta sedan 275k,. 2015 tdi sedan, 105k
drove a golf last week. dealer told me no jetta sportswagons this model year, they will be released as an early 16 model next summer

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
Is there any wonder why VW's US sales are sagging? The company has no sweet clue as to what the North American markets want and for the models it does have have, product lifecycles are older and longer than the competition. It's the Beetle-syndrome -- VW still thinking it can get away with pushing on customers the essentially same tired car model year-after-year.

oilhammer

TDI
Except that works in the rest of the world, where Volkswagen's greatest sales have been for decades.

They just need a wider variety of product here, period. Flashy new stuff for people that want that, old stodgy stuff (that can still be purchased new) for people like me. Heck, my '79 Rabbit diesel was easily one of the best cars I have ever owned. Had it not been for a lapse in judgement selling it to my younger brother (who could render an anvil useless within minutes) I'd probably still have it. If I could buy an A1 Golf brand new today, I would. :eek:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
JSW and Golf ran 5 and 4 years, respectively. Jetta sedan got a facelift after 4 years. I've heard the Golf Sportwagen will be available in January as a 2015. I may call my dealer to confirm.

Matt927

Veteran Member
TDI
several
I have been to four different dealers, the dates for the arrival of the GSW have ranged from very late this year to late spring/early summer 2015. I have heard both a 2015 or 2016 MY.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Talked to the dealer today. Should have more news on Sportwagen dates after a sales meeting at the end of the week.

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Mercedes E250 Blutec. Previously: 2006 Jetta TDI
Just Golf still?

Where are the threads/posts for the 2015 Passat. I know it's out there since the Santa Monica dealer is asking me to test drive it. I think the Jettas are out too. Only Golf so far?

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Where are the threads/posts for the 2015 Passat. I know it's out there since the Santa Monica dealer is asking me to test drive it. I think the Jettas are out too. Only Golf so far?
In the 2012+ Passat forum where they belong.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
Your sir are a bold "early adopter sort"! Do you need a personal invite to our GTG in York?
Lol no the car wont be here for 3-4 months. Vw only sent out DSG cars in High line early on. and the low line S car with a manual transmission.....very impressed with the new engine and the 6 speed trans!
I work 7 days a week in my Families Business and do not really have time for social GTG's that take longer to drive to than they last.....

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
Actually there are 2015 Passats out there with the EA 288 Lawson has VeeDubTDI has driven one!
Yea so where's the thread? I'd like to start hearing about test drives even. Are they lumping Jettas, Passats and Golfs and wagons in one thread?

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Yea so where's the thread? I'd like to start hearing about test drives even. Are they lumping Jettas, Passats and Golfs and wagons in one thread?

There are a few threads about people driving 2015 Passats.

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
The new Jettas are A6 the new Golfs and GSW are MK 7 and the Passats are NMS
Wow, this is all news to me. I thought the 2015 Jetta and Passat are EA288 MKVII. Now I find they're not at all. 2016 then? And the only other 2015 MKVII are the GSW? Or are more MKVII due for 2015?

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Where? EA288 Passats?
The Passat gets the new engine in the same body (NMS) for 2015.

The Beetle also gets the new engine in the same body (NCS) for 2015.

The Jetta gets the new engine and a refresh (NCS or "Mk6") for 2015.

The Golf gets the new engine and a complete makeover (new everything) (MQB or "Mk7") for 2015.