No power to starter after clutch install

vjt123

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI GL
Hello all,
I have just replaced my clutch in my 2001 Jetta (150,000 mi) and my starter will not crank. There is power, all the dash lights work and the glow plugs come on. I made the mistake of depressing the clutch pedal while I had the transmission out, and over extended the slave cylinder and had to bleed the system. Could this have caused an issue with the master cylinder as well and maybe there's a clutch switch on the pedal that is keeping power from the starter?
I pinched the connecter of the reverse signal sensor on the trans, but it looks fine, and the speed sensor on the back of the trans seems fine, though I popped the top off of it once or twice.
Thanks for any help, and thanks for this great forum (first post).

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
Did you re-attach the fat engine ground wire?

vjt123

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI GL
The one that connects to the top bolt on the trans? Yes to that one. I've looked everything over and am pretty sure I've reconnected everything.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
That short fat wire from the solenoid to the starter body is probably toast, if everything else is hooked up correctly.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
There's no other switch on the clutch other than the one under the dash (pedal depressed to complete circuit to the Starter Relay).

The VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) has nothing to do with engine starting.

The reverse switch and/or circuits have nothing to do with starting the engine.

It may exist, but I've never seen a reverse switch connector on a VW that is a single pin connector. On your 2001, it is a two pin connector. The switch is F4 in the schematics which clearly shows two circuits.

The Starter Solenoid electrical connector is a single pin connector with a very obvious squeeze device (my term) to remove or install it.

My guess, is that you don't have the solenoid electrical connector plugged on properly.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
... or the clutch switch and/or harness got bumped apart while you were messing with the clutch pedal perhaps.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Check the fuses first.
Things required include: good Fuse, Pedal switch, relay, wire, connector, good ground to the starter. Good working starter.

Take a heavy gauge wire and connect it from the battery to the starter solenoid to see if it cranks that way.
If it does the issue is in the circuit leading to the starter, if it doesn't then the starter or bad ground is at fault.

Sent from my Armor_2 using Tapatalk

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
The only fuses to check would be those in the panel on top of the battery. The "starter circuit" power comes off lug 501 on the relay panel (in the schematics, always hot) which is only fused at the battery panel. From there it goes to a 30 circuit to the ignition and back out via circuit 50b inside the ignition to the Starter Relay at 2/30 which also feeds the Clutch Switch circuit. None of those circuits go through the conventional wedge fuses.

vjt123

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI GL
Thanks for all the responses, I'll have to check the starter and clutch switch after Thanksgiving and I'll post the results.