Tdi's with no mufflers and straight piped

Tdidiesel02

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf TDI
Hey guys i was just wondering, i have removed my muffler and the only thing thar is left is the cat and resonator. Should i be able to hear my turbo pretty well since i have no muffler? Am i not hearing it since i still have the cat and resonator there? The reason why i ask is because i think my cat is clogged and thats ahats causing my low mpg's. Am i right or wrong? Im getting it remoced tmr anyway but i was just curious

erbilabuc

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Green Jetta wagon
I doubt your cat is clogged. I took off my muffler and drove like that for about 6 months then gutted my cat. Prior to gutting the cat I couldn't hear any whistling. The cat seems to be very restrictive. I plan on running vegetable oil when diesel goes back up and don't really have a reason for a cat on veggie oil so thats why I did it. If you really think your cat is clogged then take off your down pipe and get some ZEP industrial cleaner and spray it in there and wash it out.

panthers89fan90

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI
Still fairly quiet with the cat still on and the muffler removed. You can hear a vnt-15(stock turbo) quite well on a car with no cat or muffler.

Low mpg's can come from so many things, it's really hard to tell. Brake system friction, tire pressure, worn turbo, worn injectors, etc.

Tdidiesel02

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf TDI
How can it come from a worn turbo? Car runs good, no codes, vnt moves completely fine, intake is clean, new fuel and air filter, timing is advanced, brand new dlc 1019 injectors that were mounted and checked by ddbw, just not sure what else to do

Last edited:

joep1234

Veteran Member
TDI
former '04 Beetle TDI, now 2x '15 Audi Q5 TDI's, 2007 Dodge Ram 4x4 6.7
Also check your alignment, tire pressure(40 psi), snow filter, air filter, etc.

Schoust

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta Alh 5spd
All I know is I just installed a 2.5 inch straight through exhaust and it's loud,real loud lol.
In fact the turbo is so loud that I'm actually thinking about a high flow cat just to turn things down a tad. Need to have a cat anyway for my next visit to emissions...