HELP!...Son ran her out of oil

msiert

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 VW New Beetle 2006.5 Jetta Edition
My son is out of town in the Ozarks and just called me saying while he was driving the red oil light came on. He said he felt the engine struggling and saw the red oil light on he drove for a block before pulling off the road.

He is in process of getting some oil to put in it...my question is should he try to drive home (7hrs) if it starts?

Last edited:

Lensdude_com

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 MK4 Jetta (ALH) "Betty" (sold), 2005 MK4 Jetta (BEW) "Stinky-Pete"
if the engine didn't lock-up (seize) then put the proper VW spec oil back into it or fix the leak first then start it up normally.
If there was also a low coolant (no warning light) then you might have a head gasket problem plus oil contamination.
I don't believe the turbo would be severely affected unless the reason for engine oil loss was a failed turbo oil supply.

Redneck Truck

Gone, but not forgotten
TDI
2008 Touareg V10, 2001 Audi TTQ Roadster TDI 6-speed, 2005 Jetta Wagon TDI 6-speed
Girlfriend removed the bottom and back of her Jetta's oil pan before driving several miles. Engine shut off on its own, we replaced pump, pickup, windage tray, and pan, and the engine hasn't hiccuped since. Why on earth is it out of oil if he didn't whack it on the ground?

Redneck Truck

Gone, but not forgotten
TDI
2008 Touareg V10, 2001 Audi TTQ Roadster TDI 6-speed, 2005 Jetta Wagon TDI 6-speed
Note: make sure it's out of oil and the pump or pressure switch aren't bad. Is he sure the engine was struggling, or was it just perceived?

trailhead

Veteran Member
TDI
05sPD-BEWagon "Diesel Girl"
What does the oil dipstick say? It could have a failed oil pump if it shows oil is there. (Tow to shop)
If the dipstick shows no oil, check the under side for any signs of leakage. if big leak, put oil in and see if it comes right out. Tow to shop

Good luck

Redneck Truck

Gone, but not forgotten
TDI
Don't scare the man. These motors are fairly tough!

msiert

Veteran Member
TDI
Ok...just got back from a 15 hr round trip to pick up the bug. I was lucky to be able to get a trailer from a friend to do it. I left right after my original post and just got back a hour ago. Been up for 28 hrs so sorry if my grammar is a little off.

Turns out that junior ran over a rock and broke the pan and some cast aluminum bracket thing with a nut and bolt through it. He showed me where he hit the rock and it was maybe a block or two where he stop. He said that the car felt like it lost it's power like the battery was just disconnected shorty after he hit the rock.

Going to drop the bug off at my mechanic's to determine the damage tomorrow but I'm inspecting the worst.

Here's what broke:

http://s974.photobucket.com/user/msiert/library/

Last edited:

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
If he only drove a block or two, good chance engine is ok. Turbo could be wiped, though. Oil pans not that expensive, and not hard to change.

TDI_FNG

TDI
2004 Jetta
Hopefully he shut down the engine before too much damage occurred.

My old Toyota Celica had a neat oil pressure feature. If it lost pressure, it would cut power to the fuel pump. I can't understand why all manufacturers don't do this. I would much rather be out a fuel pump and tow than have the whole engine seize up on me.

msiert

Veteran Member
TDI
I thought about the turbo turbo too and no skid plate was on it.

I think I'm going to pass on bringing it to the mechanic right now and instead buy a new oil pan, put it on and fill her up with oil and see how she runs.

Maybe I'll get lucky?

Hyde7278

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GL
I have fixed a few cars (mostly Audis) after they cracked the oil pan and lost all the oil. As long as the car wasn't run very long after the light came on the motor should be fine. I replaced a pan on a car after the engine stopped on its own (not good) and it was fine.

After you replace the oil pan you may want to check oil pressure (to make sure the bearings are ok) and do a compression check and leakdown test to rule out ant cyl scoring.

I'm sure it will be OK but I'd do the tests just to be sure and have some piece of mind.

msiert

Veteran Member
TDI
Why would a run away happen?

This is the second time the oil pan has be totally destroyed of the 3 times it has to be replaced, the one time is was just cracked. The first time was a major curb inpact which the engine ran for a short period of time afterwards similar to this time and there was no damage.

If there is no engine damage this time I'm going to get the Pazer belly pan. If the crank sleves/bearings are spun what's the cheapest way to fix it?

Last edited:

Redneck Truck

Gone, but not forgotten
TDI
The engine is most likely fine. Just put a pan on it, and windage tray and pickup tube, replace the pump for good measure, and go.

vwdieseling

Veteran Member
TDI
Beetle, more bugs
It seems if he shut down the engine before it seized it should be all right. I'd worry about the turbo not getting a lot of lubrication. I knew a guy that completely seized a Ford Mercury Mountaineer, he was using full synthetic oil and never changed it or checked it. Sounds strange, but there are a few out there. We added oil, but the engine was completely tied up. He drove we approximate about 80 miles without or with a very low amount of oil in the crank case. Most of the synthetic had converted to oil cake.

surfbus

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat, 03 Jetta

My old Toyota Celica had a neat oil pressure feature. If it lost pressure, it would cut power to the fuel pump. I can't understand why all manufacturers don't do this. I would much rather be out a fuel pump and tow than have the whole engine seize up on me.
Japanese just engineer things more thought out. My dad's 93 Corolla had a non interference engine. When his original timing belt broke at 175K, no damage! Not to mention the Toyota OEM text manual is leaps better than the VW crap Ebahn we deal with. Ignition switch are so simple to fix on an Accord... Passat or Jetta is a PITA :mad:

fierodough

Veteran Member
TDI
Beetle

I doubt that. I have not heard of any auto maker that does this. I know there is a relay between the oil pressure sender and fuel pumps on many cars. This is a backup in case the main relay lets go, oil pressure would close the relay and ACTIVATE the pump. An engine that shuts itself down (even to prevent catastrophic damage) is dangerous. In an emergency, the drive may need to power to get out of trouble, operate the power brakes or power steering, etc.

johnboy00

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon, 2004 Jetta, 2003 Jetta wagon
Sorry, even Toyota won't manage a non-interference diesel engine.
And not all their gas engines are non-interference engines either. We have a 05 Siena with an interference design v6.

In my younger stupider days. I had both a toyota celica and a dodge shadow that were driven till the belt broke. They were fine, but its not something I'm particularly proud about.

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
You do realize why they don't do this right?

Imagine pulling out in front of a semi or a train and having your car shut off.

vwdieseling

Veteran Member
TDI
Beetle, more bugs
And not all their gas engines are non-interference engines either. We have a 05 Siena with an interference design v6.

In my younger stupider days. I had both a toyota celica and a dodge shadow that were driven till the belt broke. They were fine, but its not something I'm particularly proud about.

Dodge had several free wheeling engines with overhead cams if I remember right.

vwdieseling

Veteran Member
TDI
Beetle, more bugs

I agree, wouldn't say the Japanese are really any more brilliant than any other nationality at engineering an automobile.

Chris

Veteran Member
Funny story: A friend had a a Subaru Loyale which had two timing belts (one for each bank of the boxer 4).

One belt broke but the engine continued running on two cylinders.

Didn't want to start after it was shut down though.

msiert

Veteran Member
TDI
Love the TDI but sometimes I wonder if it isn't time to move on after 10 yrs. You get to a point that since you know the history and it's been well maintain that's it's better to fix it then sell and buy a unknown used car.

The pan is replaced, has fresh oil, a new oil filter and it runs fine. The compression was also checked and was between 365 and 360 across all 4 cylinders. The mechanic said that new they are anywhere between 360 to 464 and poor compression is around 275. The 2001 Bug has 140,000 miles on it and had her since 2003 and 5,000 miles on the clock.

While it was in I also had the the front brakes replaced since the brake ware sensor light was on. I also order a Panzer pan guard so hopefully this is the last time to replace a pan...this is the 3rd pan replacement in 3 years all broken while my son been driving it.

Thanks for all the help!

Last edited:

Redneck Truck

Gone, but not forgotten
TDI
Might need a new driver rather than a panzer :)

TDI_FNG

TDI
2004 Jetta

And how would that be different from any other catastrophic failure, say a timing belt breaking? Car still ain't going anywhere. I know my wife would have rather had her engine die when the oil sending unit went out instead of having an expensive piece of seized artwork she used to call an engine.

Redneck Truck

Gone, but not forgotten
TDI
Maybe it's the idea that the manufacturer "pulled the plug".