Stage 0 Tune Now Available (Natural Aspiration)

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
Low RPM response? How big is the stump they are trying to pull up? There are so many good TDI Turbo options that I didn't think low rpm power was a problem. Besides lowe RPM power is what breaks drivetrain parts or thats at least what I learned in my years while playing with G60 setups.

agdtec

Veteran Member
TDI
VW Golf 2000 blk
Plastic engine block

That looks like a techtonics header. Almost identical to my old Rabbit's techtonic Tuning header

very interesting project.

I look forward to hearing more about it and the switch on the fly tuning developments.

Is that a plastic mock up engine block of a TDI engine?

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
nope, its just blue paint on an ABA block with a JH head for a mk1 rabbit

jackbombay

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A4 Jetta
There are so many good TDI Turbo options that I didn't think low rpm power was a problem.
I imagine that the owner wants "instant on" power and the more precise throttle control that comes with a super charger compared to a turbo. The lag is of course minimal with a turbo, but it is there when compared to a naturally aspirated or supercharged engine.

Last edited:

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Having been a supercharger guy playing with G60s and Lysholms and watching the eatons (know as heatons because they heat the air up so much) I've come to the conclusion that low end torque breaks driveline parts and you'll end up chasing the weakest link if you want low end power.

Mark@MaloneTuning

Vendor , w/Business number
Blaine, Washington and Vancouver, British Columbia
TDI
'14 GSW TDI, '11 Golf TDI, '97 Golf Variant Syncro 1.9L TDI, '96 Golf 1.9L ASV TDI, '93 Eurovan Westfalia 1.9L TDI, '09 BMW 335d, '17 BMW 328d
I imagine that the owner wants "instant on" power and the more precise throttle control that comes with a super charger compared to a turbo. The lag is of course minimal with a turbo, but it is there when compared to a naturally aspirated or supercharged engine.
I believe that's precisely what the customer is looking for. He is fabricating a bracket for the supercharger himself. We also want to try something different for TDIs. I already tuned an ALH TDI with 3 VNT turbos.

I'm curious about the supercharger's boost curve starting at 903 RPM. I can feel the lag from a K03, T2, VNT-15, and KP39. In some way I like the linear powerband of a NA engine (no sudden surge in boost later between 1600-2200 RPM or even up to 4000 RPM, anytime the pedal is punched).

For this client's car we can limit the torque i.e. 250ft-lb or 275ft-lb, etc. Will avoid excess torque at low RPM.

Cheers,
Mark

Last edited:

jackbombay

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A4 Jetta
I would think it would be easy to limit torque if there was no possibility for boost surge...
But you reduce low RPM torque/power by reducing fuel so you are then making less exhaust so you are then making less boost (turbo not SC) so there is inherently less chance of surge with a torque limited tune than a "full on" tune.

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
A switchable-on-the-fly tune is in development and engine braking via VNT is definitely possible. Another possible solution is to use the exhaust flap from a 2009-2011 TDI (a number of owners are throwing them out in favour of a straight pipe) and wire it to the brake pedal. Someone here made an electronic VNT actuator work with EDC15 (ALH ecu etc.) so it's feasible. The exhaust flap may be more effective than a closed VNT.

Hi

I know this is an old post (so maybe its available now) but was braking by turbo ever developed and made available?

How much braking force is available via the turbo?

I know with exhaust brakes ( if you want a lot of braking force) the exhaust Springs sometimes have to be upgraded (stiffer) .....how does it work with turbo braking.... does anything have to be upgraded engine wise?

Thanks

BeetlePD

Veteran Member
TDI
Beetle 2005
The Stage 0 "SDI" tune is designed for VE and PD TDIs without boost (no turbocharger). .
Does the turbo have to be removed? It seems this Malone ECU would work w/o need for mechanical modification to the standard PD TDI

Note: Money is scarce
so I’m looking for a cheap
fix to my blown turbo

Last edited:

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
Your location says you're in California, and nobody to my knowledge makes a CARB-approved turbo delete kit for the BEW (or any other TDI) engine.

And by the time you paid for a Malone tune, you could have a used turbo.

And yes, a blown turbo needs to be removed, as the turbine would still be in the exhaust and intake streams, which could cause all sorts of problems if it's failed (up to and including runaway, as engine oil is pumped into the intake).

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
Your location says you're in California, and nobody to my knowledge makes a CARB-approved turbo delete kit for the BEW (or any other TDI) engine.

And by the time you paid for a Malone tune, you could have a used turbo.

And yes, a blown turbo needs to be removed, as the turbine would still be in the exhaust and intake streams, which could cause all sorts of problems if it's failed (up to and including runaway, as engine oil is pumped into the intake).

Just curious but to keep costs down for the OP and to pass a visual inspection, could the turbo simply be gutted (like gutting a cat... take out the internal impeller etc ) and maybe some blocking plates installed inside to keep the intake air separate from the exhaust .... of course block off oil feed etc...

whether or not it can pass a sniffer test is another question tho but maybe the tune can fix that ...

Andrew

PS -I suppose if they are that strict on sniffer tests can the car simply be registered at a relatives house in a non emission testing area and simply borrowed back for use?

Last edited:

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
This tune was more for people messing around in their back yards with an old engine for a log splitter, hydraulic pump etc. Not suitable for the road.

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
This tune was more for people messing around in their back yards with an old engine for a log splitter, hydraulic pump etc. Not suitable for the road.
HI,

Not that I would do it but why is it not suitable for the road?

Also, I asked earlier but not sure you saw it .... was the Turbo braking ever developed and done ? If so any info on it too?

Thanks

Andrew

BeetlePD

Veteran Member
TDI
Beetle 2005
The original post said the Stage 0 tune was also for people who “want a potentially lower cost alternative to replacing the turbo.” As for slow, it cannot be any slower than how it works now! LOL.

Fortunately my Beetle is registered in Pennsylvania where they don’t have smog or emissions testing (for diesels). I could do the Malone Stage 0 tune without issues

And cost is only $250 which is doubleplus good ;-)

Last edited: