First oil change at 1000 or 5000 miles?

hotzuk

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportswagen
I just got my 2002 Golf GLS and I am approaching my first 1000 miles on the car. I got my Delvac 1 coming via mail order from www.avlube.com. I was wondering is it better to wait until 5000 miles for the first oil change or can you make the "switch" over to the good stuff at 1000. I understand you want your engine to break in and it seems that everyone is doing their first change at the 5000 mark but I just want to know what is the danger if you do your first change at 1000 miles.

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
Well the oil that your car comes with is not the same oil that you use after the breakin period. Now this might be corporate nonsense, but I think it is still best to wait to the 5000 point to change to Delvac.

Then there is the warranty question......

santacll

Veteran Member
TDI
15Jetta_HL, 14_GSW_WBurg
go with the factory recommendation, and wait out the 5000 mi breakin period, or go as long as you can...hopefully at least 1/2 the distance

M

mickey

The oil that comes from the factor is a 5w30 synthetic of some kind. Probably a European Castrol product that is made specifically for high speed passenger car diesels.

Change it at 5K, as scheduled. Then 10K. Then every 10K thereafter. Just like the book says.

-mickey

MITBeta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 2004 Sprinter CDI Passenger (Mid/High), former: 1996 Passat TDI Variant
There is some anecdotal evidence that suggests that changing the factory oil before 5000 miles leads to higher oil consumption later.

hotzuk

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportswagen
Just curious, do most of you change your oil at the 5,000 or 10,000 mile mark on the regular?

TEXAS_TDI

BANNED
Originally posted by mickey:
Change it at 5K, as scheduled. Then 10K. Then every 10K thereafter. Just like the book says.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I agree.