Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
$43,000 is kind of pricey for a little truck like the GLK. :eek:

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Maybe for you folks in Canada since it seems your pricing is several thousand higher than our prices in the US. Right now a tip-top trim Tiguan in the US is $37,950 and that's with 4Motion and all of the available options. I would expect the Tiguan TDI (most likely FWD only) would come in near that price point.

I guess the big question is whether or not the North American diesel GLK will have a 4Matic option or if they'll just keep it RWD.

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
I'd be really surprised if they did it RWD-only, especially given that the rumors are that the same drivetrain in an E-class will be 4Matic only.

GD

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Highline DSG
MB Canada website shows 4matic only in Bluetec and Gasser

Maybe for you folks in Canada since it seems your pricing is several thousand higher than our prices in the US. Right now a tip-top trim Tiguan in the US is $37,950 and that's with 4Motion and all of the available options. I would expect the Tiguan TDI (most likely FWD only) would come in near that price point.

I guess the big question is whether or not the North American diesel GLK will have a 4Matic option or if they'll just keep it RWD.

msantram

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 SportWagen TDI DSG (Buyback 2018.01.30)
We picked ours up eight days ago, (ordered it special in feb) it's really amazing in person. We got our dealer's first one. Yes, it is pricier than a tiggy, but we wanted another diesel and after 4.5 months with our JSW, we couldn't be happier to be back. We had several diesels in our family in the 80's & 90's.

The JSW TDI has been amazing: great performance, fun to drive, exciting to mod & great community. The GLK 250 is even quieter than VW's and while the price is higher than we wanted, the comfort has been worth it.

Highly recommend going to your local dealer and taking a test drive.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
We picked ours up eight days ago, (ordered it special in feb) it's really amazing in person. We got our dealer's first one. Yes, it is pricier than a tiggy, but we wanted another diesel and after 4.5 months with our JSW, we couldn't be happier to be back. We had several diesels in our family in the 80's & 90's.

The JSW TDI has been amazing: great performance, fun to drive, exciting to mod & great community. The GLK 250 is even quieter than VW's and while the price is higher than we wanted, the comfort has been worth it.

Highly recommend going to your local dealer and taking a test drive.
What'd you end up paying for it?

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Passat Variant, Still miss the 03JW
I think I would like the nose better if the 2 bar grill was painted out- either black or body color. It's good to have more choices and competition. We also have the BMW 3 wagon on the horizon.

hpc

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 NB TDI, 2013 GLK 250 BlueTec
Picked ours up Friday, 10 May; drove about 650 miles Sunday - was doing
39.7 MPG UNTIL stinkin' traffic had me sit idle for 90-95 minutes. I could
have taken a nap.

Overall for the trip, 38.4 MPG at 72-78 MPH including the large hills along
I-68 in Maryland and West Virginia.

Complaints:

a) needs a manly sized steering wheel rim - rounder and fatter.

b) probably 99% of the people will find the brakes sufficient - but for
those who like substantial deceleration, you'll wish for bigger brakes.

c) It has the AMG "styling" package - with a big chromed plastic piece on
the front facia - they should have left it bumper color.

orenero

Veteran Member
TDI
DIESEL
Picked ours up Friday, 10 May; drove about 650 miles Sunday - was doing
39.7 MPG UNTIL stinkin' traffic had me sit idle for 90-95 minutes. I could
have taken a nap.

Overall for the trip, 38.4 MPG at 72-78 MPH including the large hills along
I-68 in Maryland and West Virginia.

Complaints:

a) needs a manly sized steering wheel rim - rounder and fatter.

b) probably 99% of the people will find the brakes sufficient - but for
those who like substantial deceleration, you'll wish for bigger brakes.

c) It has the AMG "styling" package - with a big chromed plastic piece on
the front facia - they should have left it bumper color.
Does the vehicle come with the dreaded Urea tank?

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
Dreaded?

On a new diesel, you want urea. You use about as much of it as you would extra fuel in a non-urea engine, and it's cheaper than fuel, plus you don't run NOx trap regens, just DPF regens (so EGTs aren't high as often, improving longevity of the engine and turbo).

torontogolf

TDI
2003 Golf
As I am considering GLK diesel as my next car (and I have never had a MB car before) I would like to hear from current GLK diesel owners who like to do their own maintenance and small repairs.

How easy is the oil change? Where is the oil filterhttp://www.amazon.com/s/keywords=motorcycle%20oil%20filter located (accessible from the top or the bottom)?

How about the fuel filter (same questions)?

How easy is the DEF fluid service and how much does the fluid cost?
How reliable is that DEF system anyway - is it something that you fill and forget, or is it known to break? I notice that the Maintenance schedule calls for yearly checks or DEF lines and components for leakage and damage - so I am wondering how delicate and failure prone that system is.

There is no timing belt, so that bit of maintenance is not applicable.

The lack of spare tire is annoying to say the least.

Is the service reminder message 'user resettable'?

moosejaw

Veteran Member
TDI
*Sold* 2005 Passat GLS TDI Shadow Blue
I don't have one, but I can tell you the oil/fuel filters will be up top. You can use an oil extractor and do your oil change from the top. My 2005 has a water sensor on the fuel filter with a bleeder valve for removing the water (if needed).

Service reminder on the 2005 is re-settable by the user. You may have to search the procedure for that vehicle. You have to enter maintenance mode on the Multifunction display and navigate around to the maintenance reminder screen.

Freestyle72

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI
This vehicle definately makes me possible next car list. Still got my fingers crossed for the Amarok here.

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Mercedes E250 Blutec. Previously: 2006 Jetta TDI
Test drove it today. Drives like a sports car, comfortable, computerized screen gizmos.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
urea

Does the vehicle come with the dreaded Urea tank?
DEF (diesel exhaust fluid) has been great in my experience so far with the 28,500 miles on the Passat. It's easy enough to fill, it's cheap, easy to find and purchase, and it increases the vehicle's fuel economy significantly compared to a non-DEF engine. It is definitely not something that you should be scared of or worried about.

msantram

Veteran Member
TDI
a lil' over 50. more than we wanted to spend, but it's been making my dad very happy. so we'll take that as a success.

to be honest - we would have looked hard at a tiguan TDI if there was one available. the toured TDI is great, just a bit more than we wanted to spend.

What'd you end up paying for it?

Last edited:

msantram

Veteran Member
TDI
they've certainly done a nice job with the '13 refresh.

I would have liked for them to make Optical Parking Sensors and several other safety features standard. I've done a few small things to the MB, but I can't do as many mods as I did to my jsw. I would change to the aspherical mirrors, added a/c cooled seats, expand the hatch a bit, and raise the car an inch or two.

the screen is brilliant, though navigating through the command system is a bit confusing. they've almost put in too many options to distract you from driving. of course, I think i'm now just accustomed to the vw interface.

highly recommend one, though the diesel fuel economy is not as good as the TDI. Surely the GLKs are heavier, have more drag, and a smaller gas tank.

Would really love it if Ross-Tech would build functionality into VCDS for MBs.

Test drove it today. Drives like a sports car, comfortable, computerized screen gizmos.

DnA Diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
no more...
Just ordered a 2014. 90 days give or take a bit until it arrives. If VW had a TDI Tiguan or BMW a diesel X3, I would have seriously looked at them, but M-B ante'd up first in the small SUV department.

More to follow in a few months.

Cheers
D.

hpc

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 NB TDI, 2013 GLK 250 BlueTec
You'll love it. The lack-luster brakes have magically disappeared. I drove it
for the first 1,000 or so miles in May and haven't driven it since as it's
the BossLady's car. Drove it last week and was amazed when it came time to
brake - no more "Is it gonna stop?" when pressing the brake petal.

I would have thought that the pads would have seated by 1,000 miles.

Yes, the central command screen menu requires some getting used to - but,
in its defense, once you get accustomed to it - it is simple to use.

Mileage is okay - 29+ in strictly city driving; 36-39 on the highway.

Enjoy!

msantram

Veteran Member
TDI
one other thing I have noticed is the tightness of the back seats. it would be great if they lengthened the wheel base by a foot. of course that would probably eat into the GL's market.

regardless it's a great buy and fun drive. vw is really missing an opportunity by not releasing a TDI Tiggy.

have a blast DNA!

DnA Diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
no more...
Thanks guys, I'll update when the GLK arrives. We also drove an ML, a Q5 and an X5, but didn't like the way the larger SUVs drove...guests in the back will have to live with it, I suppose...it is more room than either the Jetta or the 335d. The bi-turbo engine is very refined, even a shade quieter than my 335d, which is pretty quiet.

Cheers
D.