MemberName: macbuckeye
Model Year: 2009
Model: Jetta Sedan
Tranny: DSG
Miles: 120,697
Oil Ash Volume: 129 ml
Oil Type: Castrol LL03 from day 1
Avrg. MPG: 38-39
Looking to switch oils. Probably try Mobil 1 ESP on the next oil change.
I thought my long trip to Florida and back would help burn out the crud in my DPF. No such luck. Maybe a couple of good burn outs will clear out the carberator and DPF all at once. :)
9/16/13 ... Oil ash still at 129 ml with 122K miles

Last edited:

Snowmobileaddict

TDI
2011 Jetta Sedan TDI
these are the guys... I emailed them and they came up with another process for getting it done, I will go find the email and post it back here...

http://www.fsxinc.com/Clean/dpf/dpfTypes.html
I just emailed FSX as well in WA today. Their reponse was different though. Here is the entire exchange I had:

Begin forwarded message:

Date: August 20, 2013, 12:15:23 PM CDT
To: **************

Subject: RE: Cleaning DPF from a Jetta Tdi

Hello Andrew,

Yes, these filters need to be cut open on both ends to gain access to the
filter face. We charge $120 for cut and weld, and $375 for a pneumatic and
thermal cleaning. For the work it takes to cut and weld you might as well do
the thermal Stage 2 cleaning as well. However, if you only want the Stage 1
it is $250.

Our machines can clean the oval or oblong shaped DPFs.

Thanks,

FSX, Inc.

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Tuesday, August 20, 2013 6:31 AM
To: sales @ fsx inc

Subject: Cleaning DPF from a Jetta Tdi

Good morning,

I have been reading about the services offered by fsx and I see that the dpf
from jetta tdi's is included in the list of which filters are serviceable.

I'd like to find out more about how fsx cleans this type of filter. Is the
downstream side of the filter housing cut off in order to gain access to the
filter face? If so, how is the filter cleaned out with the air knife
machine. The videos on the fsx cleaning equipment appear to show the
machines only being adaptable to filter housings with a circular cross
section. The jetta tdi filter housing has somewhat of an egg-shaped cross
section.

Also, if cutting open and rewelding is needed, what would the cost be, less
shipping, for a stage 1 cleaning on an Jetta tdi dpf?

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions.

Best Regards,

Andrew *******
Cedarburg, WI

Snowmobileaddict

TDI
2011 Jetta Sedan TDI
Almost forgot my stats:
2011 tdi sedan
53700 miles
48ml ash load
Oil serviced at vw dealer (sticker says castrol brand oil).

Last edited:

steve05ram360

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 2D Golf
yeah likewsie... knowing the numbers for mine now I will be able to monitor it while using the RP HPS oil. 9000 miles on the current oil & no oil loss (as expected since the motor is still new at almost 50k miles). It will also be interesting to see what happens to the wifes car (swapping over to the HPS) since she is above average now. Wont be swapping her oil for another 4k miles so it'll be a while.

phlfly

Banned
TDI
Passat SEL
I will try to update this thread each 6 months and see how number change vs miles. Also may someone look at this number will tell me how my DPF's health.
So my car has 14,000 miles and today is 8/21/2013.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
From the chart in the first post it calculates to about 1 ml oil ash per 1,000 miles. So far you are average to better than average in this regard. Instead of a pic why not use the established format asked for in the first post? You can then be included with everyone else's data and see how you compare with others.

phlfly

Banned
TDI
Passat SEL
From the chart in the first post it calculates to about 1 ml oil ash per 1,000 miles. So far you are average to better than average in this regard. Instead of a pic why not use the established format asked for in the first post? You can then be included with everyone else's data and see how you compare with others.
I was not sure if i'm looking at right values. Please consider to correct me, if any.

But
MemberName: phlfly
Model Year: 2012
Model: Passat SEL sedan
Miles: 14,000
Oil Ash Volume: 0.1 L
Oil Type: replaced oil after 5,000 miles with Top Tec 4200 5 W-30,
than 10,000 miles dealer serviced with Castrol I guess.
Avrg. MPG: 38-39
Soot mass measured 14.74 g
Soot mass calculated 17.02 g

bobt2382

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2010 CW GOLF 4DR 6MT TDI
Shouldn't this have rolled over to 40ml by now?

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=4281776&postcount=1

I have no idea how long it's been on 39ml, been on RP HPS since 40k and monitoring it since the 1st data point in the post.

Mine read 39ml "forever". I assume that the ECU may only request to read this parameter a set mileage/time (e.g., 5k-10k miles ?). During the drive back to CA, it finally read 48ml, a jump of 9ml. The odometer was at about 56K miles, irrc.

hotpocketdeath

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
jeeze its like watching paint dry... looking for the trip point so I can collect data from 40-41ml...
Won't happen.

If you take a good look at the numbers, the oil/ash vol isn't a linear value. It will only show the level at predetermined stages. For example, you see a lot of 39's and 48's, but nothing in between. So the next level you will reach will be 48ml.

If you plot out all the points on a graph, you can clearly see a stair-step affect.

steve05ram360

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 2D Golf
Won't happen.

If you take a good look at the numbers, the oil/ash vol isn't a linear value. It will only show the level at predetermined stages. For example, you see a lot of 39's and 48's, but nothing in between. So the next level you will reach will be 48ml.

If you plot out all the points on a graph, you can clearly see a stair-step affect.
Ah, got it. Thanks

do you know if the pressure sensors are available in VCDS? IIRC there are 2 of them

steve05ram360

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 2D Golf
no wait! My wifes car just went from 89 to 90... I believe I have screen shots to prove it... Been collecting screen shots and labeling them with which car + mileage + date so I can log them in a spread sheet.

edit: I also see 90, 95 & 99 in the data on post #1

Last edited:

MacBuckeye

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
steveO- Funny you bring this up. I think we talked about it in some earlier posts or maybe PM's between members. One would think the DPF would fill up at random intervals and not at "set" points. You should see the oil ash increase at various levels/amounts. If you run VAGCOM once a day for an entire month, one would think you would see the oil ash increase by 1ml increments. That being said, I don't think that is happening. I'm guessing the instrument or method for measuring the oil ash is not all that accurate. I would bet there are several factors involved. I honestly have no idea.

Meanwhile... not sure what my plans are when it is clogged. I kind of like the DPF delete/removal, new exhaust system, and Malone Tune idea.

steve05ram360

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 2D Golf
Well we will find out soon enough, I have been checking it after I get home during the week, roughly 170 miles or so and will continue until the 39 changes to it's next value. I plan on continuing to add to the data in post #1 on the other thread I have.

edit: on your dpf future plans... I'd go that route if it was an option. Except I'd put a regular diesel rated cat in there like what my ram has stock.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I'm thinking that at the lower level, the measuring equipment is not fine tuned enough to pick up the difference between 39 and 47. As it starts to fill with more ash, then it can pick up the smaller increment differences. It doesn't effect how the DPF does its job until it's almost full.

steve05ram360

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 2D Golf
Yeah I could see that... it would depend on how they are calculating it and with what sensors. I would assume they would be using the pressure sensors and possibly the EGTs during the regen cycle.

hotpocketdeath

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Odd. I've followed this thread, but never bothered to get a reading. So why not.

MemberName: hotpocketdeath
Model Year: 2010
Model: Golf
Miles: 55527
Oil Ash Volume: 48ml
Oil Type: Liqui Moly Top Tec 4200
Avrg. MPG: 39.5

MacBuckeye

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
I scrubbed through the oil ash readings and found the following:
Total posts: 60 (I haven't put the last two posts on the spreadsheet yet.)
# different ash levels: 18
With 60 posts or entries, one would think there would be at least that many different ash levels or at least a # close to it. I bet as time goes on we will continue to see the same oil ash levels being recorded by different owners. This tells me the car can't accurately measure the oil ash in smaller amounts, but must be doing some rounding or something. I'm not a mathematician and don't play one on tv. Anyone want to take a guess as to why the DPF accumulation doesn't have more variation? 60 posts/readings, but only 18 different ash levels? Doesn't make sense.

On a different note, I'm thinking we should track those TDI's using Adblu in a separate spreadsheet.

steve05ram360

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 2D Golf
Well, 52,800 miles & still on 39ml... still using 2 stroke oil & RP HPS 5w-30... Doesnt look like either one of these is affecting soot level too much in a negative way. Still planning on adding the wifes car & putting her's on the RP oil next oil change. Ordered up the fumoto valve last night and think I will swap her oil out earlier than the 90k OCI and run it about 7k for the next 2 changes to get her back on track with the 10k intervals (aligned with the odometer) by 100k. Took her car to Monterey last weekend with PSD in the tank and gave it some good hard miles on the way back to help clean things out, runs better (was a slug, now it's a slug with more giddy-up & go).

steve05ram360

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 2D Golf
MemberName: KsJetta
Model Year: 2009
Model: Jetta
Miles: 85675
Oil Ash Volume: 90ml
Oil Type: Castrol (dealer oil)
Avg. MPG: 39.5

Adding Wifes car...

GaryTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 VW Beetle TDI 5MT
MemberName: GaryTDI
Model Year: 2012
Model: Golf 2-Door TDI
Tranny: 6MT
Miles: 24129
Oil Ash Volume: 9 ml
Oil Type: Castrol LL03
Avrg. MPG: 51.3

Last edited:

shrifty

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
I tried this on a 2014 Passat TDI SE, however the Measuring Blocks 08 is grayed out, any suggestions?

steve05ram360

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 2D Golf
Go to the advanced measuring block menu and scroll thru all of the fields... it may be in a 2nd spot farther down the list. I've seen the same fields in a couple of blocks while searching thru the list.