P0470 - Exhaust Pressure Sensor

rix337

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta TDI
It really isn't that hard. Remove engine cover, remover heatsheild that snaps on, electrical connector, and a couple vaccuum lines and put the new one on. I t took me like 25 mins. I fgure a tech who does this a few times can knock it out much faster than me taking my time....:D

TDI_Dad

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
I did some research on this and replacing the sensor alone does not fix the problem. Installing a new sensor without adapting it will cause the new sensor to go bad as well.. You need VCDS in order to install it correctly...

Install the sensor.
Do not start the car.
Open VCDS.
01- Engine
- Coding II
--Start Exhaust Pressure Sensor Adaptation
Run it.

That should fix the sensor install.
I would add: "Clear old error codes" to this procedure.

It was the only issue I had after installing the new sensor. Kind of a "Duh!" thing but might be helpful to others.

I had the same error code P0470 on my '10 Jetta TDI, just shy of 120k. The G450 (076 906 051B) sensor. $80 from the local stealership. Two T30 bolts, not too hard to get to. Squeezing the hose clamp open in order to remove the sensor was a PIA. BE CAREFUL DISCONNECTING THE ELECTRICAL CONNECTOR. THE RELEASE TAB BREAKS EASILY. trust me. Total time, less than an hour. If I ever have to do it again it should only take less than 30 minutes.

Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread.

Last edited:

MatrickDiesel

TDI
2010 Sportwagen
:eek: Good Grief!!! $440!!! The part is $87 from the dealership and it takes less than 10 minutes to replace it. What in the world kind of labor per hour are they charging...:mad:
My dealer is quoting me $300 to do both sensors which is what they are recommending. They list the parts as $105 each and then one hour of labor at $90. When I inquired as to why they want to do both sensors, they said that because they operate in "tandem" if one goes bad it can cause the other to fail as well. Because of the age of my 2010 Sportwagen and mileage (74,000) I should expect the sensors to fail.

So, I spend almost 26,000 on the car and the sensors only last 3 years? I'm starting to think this emissions system is going to be very costly.:mad:

UberVW_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf Variant TDI
looked up the prices of the 2 parts 076906051b cost $65 dollars, p.n. 03G906051G bad part number but I just read in a post here that the 03G906051G has been replaced with 076906051b so....they are the same from what I read here?

Can anyone confirm this, thanks.

FYI: I replaced part 03G906051G (sensor 2) with 076906051B on April 28th, 2012 @ 54,730 miles. I've had no issues since. Currently at 95,700 miles.

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG

So, I spend almost 26,000 on the car and the sensors only last 3 years? I'm starting to think this emissions system is going to be very costly.:mad:
Same BS as with the alignment 'recommended' by my dealer after one year, because of the age of the car!

Alec

TDI
'16 Touareg TDI Lux
FYI: I replaced part 03G906051G (sensor 2) with 076906051B on April 28th, 2012 @ 54,730 miles. I've had no issues since. Currently at 95,700 miles.

Just to be clear: On the CJAA engines, sensor 1 is mounted behind the oil fill, and sensor 2 is up by the hood support, as in the picture in the linked thread. On my car, sensor 1 was originally PN 03G 906 051G, and sensor 2 was 076 906 051B.

For me, what made the repair difficult was not having a pair of right angle hose clamp pliers. Maybe a baby pair of vice grips works well, but I didn't have room between the hose clamp and the fire-wall for my pliers, especially with the nut on the dpf heat shield right in-line with the clamp. And having to pull down the heat shield on the tubing without damaging it to get at the clamp was an additional annoyance.

Still not worth more than a half hour of shop time.

Thanks for the help in the previous posts!

Rojotron

TDI
2010 VW Jetta Wagen TDI
Trying to make sense of this.

So you guys have been very helpful, but I'm getting slightly confused.
To review:

There are two Sensors
Sensor 1 G450 P/N = 076 906 051B
Sensor 2 G451 P/N = 03G 906 051G

According to the parts I pulled from my car...
Sensor 1 was made in the Malaysia. Sensor 2 was made in the US.

I am reading that "ETKA says 03G 906 051G was dropped for 076 906 051B"

So if I am understanding this... the parts are interchangeable?

I've got the 2010 Jetta TDI Sportwagen.
So far I've had an error code log for G540 (Sensor 1). Replaced that, and the light didn't go out. I incorrectly replaced Sensor 2 with 076 906 051A on the incorrect advice from a amateur mechanic. That (obviously) still didn't fix the light.

I am going to attempt to replace the sensor 2 slot with the original sensor 1 (that was replaced) and keep my fingers crossed but it seems counter intuitive.

Why would VW use two identical sensors with 2 different part numbers / manufacturers from different hemispheres?

Even if the light goes out, I still want to know how this works?!

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
The two sensors are for two different purposes: one measures the differential pressure across the DPF, and the other across the EGR valve or cooler (see this page for what it is actually measuring across).
Don't forget to tell the car computer that you replaced the sensor (probably reading in the new zero difference offset):
I did some research on this and replacing the sensor alone does not fix the problem. Installing a new sensor without adapting it will cause the new sensor to go bad as well.. You need VCDS in order to install it correctly...

Install the sensor.
Do not start the car.
Open VCDS.
01- Engine
- Coding II
--Start Exhaust Pressure Sensor Adaptation
Run it.

That should fix the sensor install.

Last edited:

Rojotron

TDI
2010 VW Jetta Wagen TDI
The two sensors are for two different purposes: one measures the differential pressure across the DPF, and the other across the EGR valve or cooler (see this page for what it is actually measuring across).
Don't forget to tell the car computer that you replaced the sensor (probably reading in the new zero difference offset):
I understand that that they are measuring pressure at two different areas.
but if they are interchangeable, why are they not the same part/model number/manufacturer?

beaudrym129

TDI
Jetta 2010
same issue (p0470) but no VCDS

Thanks for the wonderful thread. I have the error code with my Jetta TDI 2010. The error code popped up soon after i have my exhaust flap replaced by VW as part of service bulletin. So I get that the sensors are interchangeable but I was wondering if sensor calibration is necessary by VCDS as instructed earlier…I don't have VCDS and was not planning on shelling out the time and expense to acquire the system…..any advice would be most welcome.

Cheers

Marc

JosephH1

TDI
2010 Silver 2dr
I replaced mine (sensor 2 nearest firewall) and did not use VCDS. It seemed to clear the code and has been fine for almost a year. I can see why this one fails due to extreme heat. I had to destroy the sensor to get it out of the hose as well.

beaudrym129

TDI
Jetta 2010
ok great thanks, good to know….I already ordered the part and got it for 73$ +10 dollars shipping. Dealer wanted 118 for it + tax…..

jaberoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SEL silver
I'm confused. Alec stated that Sensor #1 (G450) was the one behind the oil filler, but others said that that one was Sensor #2 (G540).
Which is it, for my 2010 JSW?

bshapperd

TDI
2009 JSW CR 2.0 w/DSG. Formerly 1992 1.6TD Jetta
As per Bentley manual:

Exhaust Pressure sensor 1; g450, bolted to auxiliary fuel pump v393 bracket
Exhaust Pressure sensor 2: g451, bolted near oil filler neck

The photo a few posts up is correct.

beaudrym129

TDI
Jetta 2010
Just to close the loop, I went ahead and changed the sensor wrapped up in heat shield. FYI I am not handy and have limited tools….I was able to get the sensor off with help from my dad. We removed the bracket and the heat shield/cloth by taking off both hex screws. The clamp on one of the hoses that leads to sensor is the biggest hassle because it faces away from you. We worked together to twist the clamp sideways so that we could have better access to it. We used needle nose to open clamp, and then regular pliers to removed the sensor. It took about 30 mins and multiple tries. Finally I cleared the codes with my OBD reader, and the CEL went away!!! Great success

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Got the same P0470 Sensor 1 code a week or so ago, look like I have a little project on my hands. Jetta has about 105K.

Can anyone comment this code is 100% tied to a bad sensor and not a precursor of bigger issues? I've cleared the code and this morning DPF went through a regen on the way in without a CEL, I'm guessing the CEL will be back on this afternoon.

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/16855/P0471/001137

Also found this on Ross tech about location of Sensor 1, not sure if this clears the mud

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
To confirm my 0470 G450 sensor 1 Exhaust sensor issue is related to the sensor behind the oil fill cap. I disconnected the sensor by the Aux fuel pump and received another code for no DPF pressure sensor. This is the same as the info posed on rosstech that the bentley is wrong.

I'm not sure if the coded the senors backwards, but I'll be replacing the sensor behind the oil fill once it arrives early next week.

mickaphely

TDI
2010 Jetta TDi
Hi,

I had the same code p0470 exhaust pressure sensor 1 on my 2010 jetta tdi and I was wondering which sensor to replace and with what ?
I know there is a sensor behind the oil cap and another on the left of the oil cap. Which one is where ?
Sensor 1 G450 P/N = 076 906 051B where is it located ?
Sensor 2 G451 P/N = 03G 906 051G where is it located ?

I replaced sensor 1 which I assumed was behind the oil cap for the year 2010 from 03G 906 051G to 076 906 051B and I'm wondering if I should do the same for the one to the left of the oil cap to be safe or if the old 03G one I replaced is sensor 1?

Thank you

Rojotron

TDI
2010 VW Jetta Wagen TDI
Hi,

I had the same code p0470 exhaust pressure sensor 1 on my 2010 jetta tdi and I was wondering which sensor to replace and with what ?
I know there is a sensor behind the oil cap and another on the left of the oil cap. Which one is where ?
Sensor 1 G450 P/N = 076 906 051B where is it located ?
Sensor 2 G451 P/N = 03G 906 051G where is it located ?

I replaced sensor 1 which I assumed was behind the oil cap for the year 2010 from 03G 906 051G to 076 906 051B and I'm wondering if I should do the same for the one to the left of the oil cap to be safe or if the old 03G one I replaced is sensor 1?

Thank you
It probably doesn't hurt to replace them both. When I worked on mine, I just wanted to get the light off. I was skeptical when I heard it, but the parts were interchangable. When I replaced one, the light didn't go off. I took the one I had replaced and used it on the other spot. Problem solved. Don't forget you have to reset the sensor when you start the car up for the first time.

Last edited:

JosephH1

TDI
2010 Silver 2dr
Replacing the one behind the oil filler did the trick for me. I did not need to replace the other one. The one along the firewall really bakes back there. Likely hastening its demise.

maigre

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Sedan DSG
I got the P0470 error code, too. 2010 Jetta TDI Sedan, 79K miles. I'm on a road trip, 1000 miles from home. Seeing the CEL come on was not an uplifting moment. But the car was driving normally. This happened at a time when all service shops were closed, July 3 after business hours. AAA told me to check O'Rellly's, that they'd scan it. And they did! Their scanner didn't get me the detail that a VW service person's would, but I got the error code and "exhaust pressure sensor A circuit" out of it.

He cleared the code and it stayed cleared for a couple of hours. But now, it's back.

My main question: is it safe to drive the car with this error? Is any harm going to come to anything if I don't get this fixed in the next 1000 miles?

TDI
Jetta, 2006, Campanella White, Anthracite Int. DSG, Pkg. 1; New Beetle, 1998, Yellow, black leather Int., 2013 Passat TDI SEL Night blue, grey Int. given back to VW (well, not given... ;) ) 2018 Tiguan; first gasser in years
Should be OK, been driving with mine on (or off and on ) for a while now so enjoy the trip and deal with it when home again. Funny how these things always seem to happen on weekend or holidays...:p

RedJay

TDI
2010 JSW
I've read through this thread. I need to replace the EP Sensor (G450). I've read and been told both that you need to "acclimate" the new sensor and that you don't need to do anything; just replace it and you're good. What could happen if I don't "acclimate" the new sensor?

Also, I have an Innova 3040 scanner. Does anyone know if that will be able to "acclimate" the new sensor?

Thanks!

MonoAnt

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
SERIOUSLY.... i read all 4 pages of this thread and I'm going though the same issue on my 09 jetta sedan. DOES ANYBODY TRUELY KNOW WHAT SENSOR IS NEEDED FOR WHAT AND WHAT LOCATION SENSOR 1 AND 2 ARE? what sensor is the one by the hood strut (sensor#? part #?) and what sensor is the one by the oil filler (sensor#? part #?) are these indeed interchangeable? I've heard every combination possible of information.

MonoAnt

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
All i know is the sensor on my 09 jetta by the hood strut is 076906051A is this correct? what is the part number of the sensor by the oil fill that i need? This is a 2009 jetta

drt568

TDI
2010 vw jetta wagon tdi
Same for me

p { margin-bottom: 0.1in; line-height: 120%; } 2010 VW Jetta tdi 70,000 miles with check engine light.
Was able to read code P0470 with my cheep tester.
Then read this thread that the problem was part
076-906-051A (Exhaust Gas Pressure Sensor).
I see the sensor is now superseded with
last char. “A” to a “B” now. Can get for get one for under $30.
Thought I read that it was covered by the 8yr/80k warinty for
US emissions. Brought it to my VW dealer and had them read
and anilize the check engine light. Cost $120. Then they said
would be about $350 to fix it. I just paid them $120 for
what I already know or suspected.