First problem with my 2006 Jetta..boost leak?

invader

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
First problem with my 2006 Jetta..boost leak?*FIXED*

Just started doing this yesterday:

When accelerating, I am getting a fairly high pitch wine that sounds like air is escaping through a seal somewhere in the boost plumbing. I checked the connections that are easy to get to. The one on the top of the motor where the last rubber elbow connects to the intake seemed a little loose so I took it off and reseated the fitting and the clamp. No help.

What would be the next most likely connection to be leaking? Looks like it will be tough getting to the connections at the turbo. Maybe from underneath? Could it be on the exhaust side?

Sorry, I don't have a boost gage yet. It is coming soon.

Any ideas are welcome.

Thanks,

Invader

Last edited:

bf1967

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf
Start where the pipe from the intercooler goes into the anti-shudder valve. This connection starts to loosen over time. Whitedog has a nice fix for this. Others have used zip ties.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=202005 Look at the pic in Message #34

edit: I didn't read your message close enough, looks like you did that. Your next best bet is to follow that piping all the way thru. Sometimes the connections on the bottom (at the intercooler) become loose.

Bob

Last edited:

invader

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
york77777 said:
You are sure its not the turbo whine?
No. Definitely not turbo wine. Sounds like pulling on the neck of a blown up balloon while releasing air like you did when you were a kid.

invader

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Looks like it might be on the exhaust side.

I discovered yesterday that I can produce the sound with the tranny in neutral by revving it up. When I got home yesterday, I had my kid sit in the driver seat and rev it a few times while I had my head under the hood listening for the sound.

I noticed that a puff of smoke comes out from below the intake manifold, kind of between the battery box and the motor:confused: . Looks like the leak may be in the EGR system some where.

I there is so much stuff above the area that the smoke puff is coming from it is impossible to pinpoint where the leak is from above. I did not have the time yesterday but I guess the next thing to do is jack the car up and get underneath to try to see up from the bottom.

invader

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Well, I found it. Could only get to it from the bottom with out taking all kinds of stuff off from the top.

On the pipe that goes from the EGR valve to the intake manifold, where it attaches to the EGR valve with a two bolt flange. One of the bolts is missing and the gasket has rotated just a little.

If you get where I am talking about, is this common for a bolt to fall out of this spot?

I will be putting the new bolt in with some high temp thread lock. hopefully it won't fall out again.

Invader

invader

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
First problem with my 2006 Jetta..boost leak?*FIXED!*

McBrew said:
Not common. Easy to fix, though!
Well, fairly easy. Took me about 1 1/2 hours because it was a pita getting to the top bolt. Lots of lines in the way and it is an Allen. Had to loosen the top bolt to rotate the gasket back into position so I could get the bottom bolt in.

And I have to say, HOLY CRAP! I am amazed at how much power was being robbed by this leak! With it fixed now, its like I did some kind of power upgrade. I think that this is the first time I have really been able to feel the KermaTDI tune I added almost two weeks ago. Its like a whole new car!:cool:

Thanks for your comments,

Invader

Last edited: