Heater switch light bulb replacement 'How to'

kahuna

TDI
03 Golf TDI GLS
Thanks wingnut...I am having this exact problem with my car. I am still under warranty but I think I will attend to this myself. ;)

McLION

TDI
2005 Passat
Here's an idea for the install with the tubing.......
use a long, slender stick inside the tubing as a plunger to push the lamp in place.

Mr_Moe

Veteran Member
TDI
i pulled the knob off with my hand.
pulled the bulb out with fishing pliers. ( long and slender )
pushed in the new bulb with my pinky.

I want to thank the OP for this thread!

Kaderabek

TDI
none yet
Your pinky...? What are you, like, 2...? :D

Still flogging it. Well, not so much any more. The bulb is currently stored in the switch. Getting it out was no problem. Then I crushed one with my daughter's beading pliers. Got another, tried the vacuum tube -- no go. Tried the vacuum tube with the innards of a pen inside -- nope. Then enlisted my 6 year old and his small fingers -- uh uh.

Will revisit.

TJK

DbLog

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 335d
Great thread guys. My 2cents...

I bought the 2721 Sylvania bulbs and used 5/32" tubing to pull out the original. When I inserted the new bulb the first few times I just 'put it in' any old way. After a turn or 2 of the fan control the bulb fell out. So I used a pair of tweezers to line it up (my bulbs contacts had to be horizontal with the car) and used an allen wrentch to push it in.

Thanks for everyones help!!

Kaderabek

TDI
none yet
Got it. Used a ribbed plastic wall anchor to turn the bulb.

Thanks for all the excellent advise here.

I am illuminated....

TJK

ritsco

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI GSW SEL and 2006 Golf TDI GLS
Wow. I hardly visit this site, just too busy. But I love my TDI and I too have wondered where the heck that bulb was at. This is going to save me some dough and I for one am greatful. I need to visit here more often !:D

57ringo

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 jetta TDI DSG , 2011 Jetta TDI, 2015 Passat TDI,2008 duramax k3500,2022 Duramax 2500, 92 Kenworth T800, numerous John Deere's
How does this work for a 98 Jetta? I tried this and just the cover comes off of the center knob. There is a transparent piece under the knob the goes down in the center. Should I try to pull this out? I didn't want to pull on this and break something in case this is different from the model you are showing here.

Kaderabek

TDI
none yet
That transparent tube comes out with the switch on a Golf. Maybe try to gently encourage it to come out? Or wait for someone with a Jetta to reply.

TJK

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Slip the bulb in place with it barely inserted in a piece of tubing. It will stay, but not be fully seated. Seat it with a pencil eraser.

57ringo

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 jetta TDI DSG , 2011 Jetta TDI, 2015 Passat TDI,2008 duramax k3500,2022 Duramax 2500, 92 Kenworth T800, numerous John Deere's
But what I'm saying is that when I pulled the knob off, there is a transparent piece that didn't come out with the knob still in the center where the picture shows the bulb to be. Do I need to pull it out too or is mine different? Mine is an A3 early 99 Jetta.

57ringo

Veteran Member
TDI
me again....any help with my A3 early 99 Jetta changing the bulb???? Is the bulb behind the middle knob or the left knob (fan speed)?

57ringo

Veteran Member
TDI
ok, thanks. I will try it tomorrow.

bactrac69

TDI
New Beetle
A mechanic at the VW dealer told me about the bulb replacement - I pulled the knob by hand and asked him again and he came out with pliers and a shop rag and pulled it off. I replaced the bulb and the light works great but the fan does not work now. The fan knob turns normallly with the right position feels (soft cliks for fan speed) but no fan. I want to check the fuse but the panel and the manual give up no clues. Its in a 2000 NB TDI - Thanks for any help - its back to the '88 Pathfinder gas hog until I fix it or the temps get warmer. Thanks again

dqa

Veteran Member
TDI
RIP: 1999½ New Golf GL TDI satin silver
bactrac69 said:
The fan knob turns normallly with the right position feels (soft cliks for fan speed) but no fan. I want to check the fuse but the panel and the manual give up no clues.
You may want to read my thread about the blower fan switch:

blower fan electrics

Assuming that your Beetle is identical to my Golf, the fuse for the blower fan should be #25, and there should be little pictograms in the fuse panel door to give you a clue as to which fuse does what.

Also, if you only have the owner's manual, you may want to plunk down $15 for a Haynes Manual at your local auto parts store. It will contain wiring diagrams to ID fuses, and info on testing and replacing the blower fan. Purists may argue for a Bentley manual... I contend that if you're serious about your car, you should have more than one manual anyway, and if you're not that serious about your car you shouldn't be spending $70 on a manual.

Last edited:

Keiller

Veteran Member
TDI
2004Jetta GL Spice Red
Good info, Wingnut.

I changed my second bulb on a 2004 TDI today. Do these bulbs only last about a year...that seems like a short life for a dash bulb? I might add that you can use a rubber pad (used for jar lid loosening) for switch removal to get at the bulb rather than pliers. I can't remove the switch with my bare fingers, but the rubber pad gives me enough grip to pop it out.

BradleyRas

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS TDI Silver Arrow
gosh dangit, my dealership charged me $45 to do that....

errrr..

Thanks Wingnut, I shall be $45 richer next time!

Ian F

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2003, Indigo Blue
Thanks! Mine was out and I was wondering how to replace it...

Note I said, "was..." Then it turned itself back on again... and the light that illuminates the ashtray and lighter goes out... then vice-versa...

Seems I get one or the other, but not both... :confused:

TDI eddie

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2004, Grey
BradleyRas said:
gosh dangit, my dealership charged me $45 to do that....

errrr..

Thanks Wingnut, I shall be $45 richer next time!
I paid $51 today to have it changed, what a rip off ! ! ! Found this thread late :(

l_c

Veteran Member
TDI
Wrecked and gone: VW Jetta wagon 2002 silver TDI
I was able to fix mine today, on a 2002 Jetta; thanks for the tips. The light
had been going off (and on) for a while, then finally quit. But -- instead of
going to the store, I looked closely at my bulb and the filament looked o.k. to
the naked eyes. Couldn't recall where I last put my multimeter.

I used a very small screwdriver to scrape the two bulb leads a bit, then pried
them slightly away from the glass ... to try and improve the contact. Put
everything back together, and presto; mine came back to life. Used the
vacuum hose trick to remove the bulb, and used my fingers to reinsert it. Larry

A_Shifter

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI
Light bulb

The local stealership just told me the bulb wasn't available. But the fool happily offered to sell me a new switch.
Thank you to everyone who contributes. I would have been "that guy" tearing the dash apart....

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
Many thanks to wingnut.

AutoZone here didn't have the sylvania bulbs, just "lighting technologies" #74. $2.99 for 2.

K5ING

Mega-Miler
TDI
Silver 2001 Golf GL TDI 5-speed
Thanks Wingnut. I'll be trying this as soon as I can get by the parts store.

NOW, how about the other bulbs? The right side of my radio is out also. Do you know how to get to those bulbs?

TIA

Last edited:

BoostdJetta

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta TDI 5spd
Just wanted to bump this up, I have been wondering the same thing but figured I'd have to pull the whole unit out so I didn't dig into it... thanks for the info WingNut.

Keith_J

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta MT
By far the easiest repair for my Jetta. Used vac hose to pull the burned out bulb, then used larger diameter vinyl tube (Tygon) and a bamboo chopstick to push the new bulb in.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
Man I just used my fingers. Granted they are long and skinny.