www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Meetings/ GTG/ Regional Discussions > West Coast Canada/USA

West Coast Canada/USA Local discussions for those on the West Coast of Canada and the US.

Old January 25th, 2004, 13:07   #16
dlai
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Up There
Default 2004 West Coast TDIFest! (Let\'s Start Planning)

Dave: You're doing a great job of convincing us about Fairfield! With Marine World and the other activities near by, it sounds like it meets the requirements of many! Those with families and kids will have things to do. I'm hoping we can get some vendor booths at this large GTG, like Elite Motorworks, Tomas, Dent Wizards (paintless dent removal), and other shops in the bay area/sac region. Perhaps even some biodiesel discussions/vendors as well. Maybe mdt (Marshall) can help us with the biodiesel part. Lining up guest speakers, in addition to Bosio, would be great. It sounds like we'll need a drag strip/track of some sort, so we'll have to do some research on the costs of renting time at Sears Point. I'm wondering too if anyone knows of any shops with one of those mobile dynos. I've seen them at a few car shows and think that would be nice to have as well. I suppose if there's interest we could also have a car show with judging, but I'm not too sure if there would be too much interest.

Those are just some random thoughts on a Sunday afternoon...
dlai is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2004, 13:45   #17
dparnell
Veteran Member

More random thoughts~~~just how important is a track & dyno? Personally, I would prefer a run on something like Mountain View Rd~~~seems it would be more fun. We could even do something like a rally but that's just me. I wish I could offer up something up here on the coast~~~like Manchester State Park with a KOA near by, but it would be @ the height of the tourist season:-(.
What does anybody thing about Sacramento? I-5 goes right by it & it should have ALL facilities we would need. Anyone from Sac want to chime in?
dparnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2004, 15:35   #18
zebrajeb
Veteran Member

I certainly like Sacramento but would come to Fairfield. Don't know what is in Sacramento.
zebrajeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2004, 20:27   #19
KERMA

We could always plan the track event around an event that is already happening, like we did at the 2002 fest. We all got track time because there was alreadya a race going on, we just jumped om the bandwagon, just got included as a separate "class"
KERMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2004, 20:30   #20
KERMA

Example: Every other Friday here in SLC there is the "midnight drags" where all the ricers come out of the woodwork. People just bring their car off the street and race.
Old January 26th, 2004, 00:01   #21
DaveC
Veteran Member

Just a thought about a drag strip.
There is a nice park called Lagoon Valley Park between Fairfield and Vacaville. It is right off Hwy 80. Group picnic rental areas are available.
Alongside the park is a long straight road that is a dead end. There are a couple of houses on the end of it up in the hills. I wonder if we could informally block it off for a short period at a time and do some 1/4 mile drag races there. It is a two lane road, with probably 5 cars a day passing along it.
If we could pull of this idea, it would be a lot cheaper than renting a drag strip. I realize that it is technically not legal, but it sure would be convenient. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
DaveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2004, 09:25   #22
dparnell
Veteran Member

Dave, BAD idea~~~all it would take is 1 person with a cell phone & a CHP. Those observed racing would be cited for partipating in a speed contest & the others would be cited for aiding in a speed contest. Both 2 point tickets with HEAVY fines~~~you could even have your license suspended.
Old January 26th, 2004, 09:36   #23
dlai
Veteran Member

Doyle's right, racing on public streets is a no no. Plus, I think Kerma and others are after the timeslips one gets from the drags to prove what times they ran. I just checked the Sears Point track schedule and guess what, they're all booked the entire year already. They recommmend booking 6 months to a year in advance! Perhaps AtomicSushi, Ducatipaso, or TdiCa can chime in on what they know about Sacramento Raceway...

By the way Doyle, glad to hear you liked the korean chicken! Still feasting on all the leftovers, huh? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old January 26th, 2004, 15:32   #24
AtomicSushi
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 47/37/32

[ QUOTE ]
I certainly like Sacramento but would come to Fairfield. Don't know what is in Sacramento.

[/ QUOTE ]

Regarding Sacramento, for sure there is the Sacramento Raceway Park, which has a 1/4 mile track. I also know of some shops in town that may be able to host Dyno sessions.
So far as a good meeting place we could have it at Cal Expo if we can get a sponsor to cough up enough Money because I'm sure it won't be cheap. Maybe any one of the sac area VW dealerships could help, plus I'm sure some of the local VW clubs might wanna help out.

I'd be up for anything in Cali though, but I'd certainly nominate Sacramento for this or TDI Fest 2005.
AtomicSushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2004, 20:46   #25
KERMA

COnsider this a "dry run" for 2005!!

Another suggestion: we dont neccesarily need to invent our own event- we could "piggyback" with another already established event. Less legwork. Ideas? NorCal has gotta have something happening in August.
Old January 26th, 2004, 20:55   #26
peter pyce
Veteran Member

Charlie, have you been to NorCal events? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] It is really hard for me to picture 50 mid age TDIers talking about how to lift their cars by 2 inches - together with a big group of youngsters talking about how to slam their rides by at least 3 inches [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] They are really fine folks, but I think the whole TDI community may not really "click" with them in one day [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Do not get me wrong, I will have great time with both as I know half of them and half of you here!
peter pyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2004, 21:18   #27
dlai
Veteran Member

"Yo, dude, check out my Jetta. I got me some 22 inch rims, dope, huh? Yeh, they're chrome. My car is slammed too. You can never be too low, you know what I mean? My blow off valve is waay cool too. Whistles when I rev it above 3k. Oh, did I tell you about my Wings West spoiler? It's 3ft high and tilts when I go above 40 mph. Did I show you my interior? It's custom. I painted the dash jazz blue to match the exterior, and took out the passenger airbag to put in my 13 inch dvd screen. I got me 5 Xplod amps in my truck and took out my back seat to put in my 18 inch custom sub. That system hits hard! My headlights flash when my sub hits too. Oh, check out my Boser carbon fiber hood, and shaved handles. I joey modded my headlights and painted my headliner black. Finally, it took me 5 hours to put those 200 stickers on my car. So, what's your name again, Baazio? Nozzles? Will they make my car look lower? TDI? Dude, those cars are soooo slow and weak!" [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old January 26th, 2004, 21:26   #28
peter pyce
Veteran Member

Yooo! U phat, sick Dan! U doin OK with that FMIC thou! Just need 1.8T badge! LMAO! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
peter pyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2004, 22:06   #29
michael.
Veteran Member

Looks like this is going to happen in Cali - bummer. I will drive down to Oregon or up to Canada, but not much further - pretty much a 3-4 hour drive from Tacoma. Anything more and it's a lot of work...

Just my .02
michael.
michael. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2004, 11:25   #30
dparnell
Veteran Member

Dan, LOLOL!!! Reminds me of the Dyno GTG about 4 yrs ago in Mt. View~~~there were some "prominent" VW Vortexers there with lowered cars, fake spoilers, pimples, trying to look cool smoking, & painted calipers. When I asked Peter, Alan & Norman why they painted them, they looked @ me as if I was from Mars. Did anybody forget a BIG mechanical thing with solar panels on it @ the last GTG??? It was moving around sloooowly in the firing range area & upsetting Blondie, so I fired one of those magnum slugs into it & it hasen't moved since [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img]!!!
& yes, I'm still eating leftovers from the GTG~~~believe it or not, the Korean beef is still GOOD~~~had some last night~~~YUM!!!