coming up on 300K miles.

TDikook

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'06 Golf Anthracite Blue
almost there and am planning a major maintenance schedule. if this was your car. what would you replace?

so far i plan on replacing cam,lifters,bolts
TB kit of course
tandem pump
suspension refresh(just the bushings, have Bilsteins and Shine springs)
control arm bushings tie rods
engine and transmission mounts(dogbone too)
glowplug harness(it is deteriorating)

anything I might be missing? it is a huge maintenance, and am starting on collecting parts now for next summer.

thanks

Eric B

TDI_Michael

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Golf GLS
Alot of people look to change out the oil pump and chain/tensioner after 300k. The tensioner is plastic and would be the weak link of these parts but once you are in there might as well change all 3.

red16vdub

Veteran Member
TDI
03 JSW 5spd
If I remember correctly you gotta drop the tranny to gain access to the oil pump tensioner. There's a lot more involved than just doing a timing belt.
Many people on here don't even do that and is still rolling 5-6 hundred thousand and on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
If I remember correctly you gotta drop the tranny to gain access to the oil pump tensioner. There's a lot more involved than just doing a timing belt.
Many people on here don't even do that and is still rolling 5-6 hundred thousand and on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Huh? The oil pump drive chain is underneath the sealing flange at the front of the engine, under the timing belt. Just need a seal, a bolt, the chain, and the tensioner. Oil pan has to come off, but most of the time to do this above and beyond the timing belt that is already being done anyway is spent on cleaning the surface areas so the gray sealant works properly.

I'd skip the mounts unless the dogbone has been contaminated by oil or fuel at some point.

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
Well, now to be fair unless you're doing the seal already you also need to pull the front crank pulley which can be a material pain in the butt since it requires a counterhold tool you may not have.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Yes, you will need some sort of counterhold tool. However by the sound of everything that he wants to do, and what he has already done, that tool is probably not a big deal to source and put in the toolbox. Costs a lot less than the camshaft holder tool, too.

TDikook

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'06 Golf Anthracite Blue
Jasontdi is doing the work.

The dipstick tube broke a few years ago and was replaced.

The mounts are on thier last leg. When we replaced the trans last time, the bolt stripped out on one of them. So when removed, it will be toast. It has served it's purpose and has done a good job. Time for a new one.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
You might want to have a new engine mount bracket handy. Threads on those tend to strip out, too.

How long have the Bilsteins been in your car? They don't last forever, you know.

TDikook

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'06 Golf Anthracite Blue
IBW, how long do bilstein HDs usually last? Ive had them. I don't know 6-7 years. It still rides great and handles good.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
If you have 200K on them IMO they're done. People keep them longer, but their performance deteriorates. Ride can get firmer, not softer.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
IBW, how long do bilstein HDs usually last? Ive had them. I don't know 6-7 years. It still rides great and handles good.
All depends on one's roads. Wife's Mazda 5 had a failed strut after only 38k miles (since new), and everything else was basically getting beat up. That car was mostly run up in Vancouver, BC, which has crappy roads (from my vantage point).

Just replaced all the suspension bits on the wife's Golf at 200k miles: always a PNW/WA car. Original shocks/struts. Dampening on the struts was gone. The rear shocks, however, actually still seemed viable.

TDI_Michael

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Golf GLS
You can always make a counterhold tool out of flat bar which is what I did. Didn't cost much and not alot of work drilling and cutting the holes. I taped rags to the top where my hands would be while holding it. Crude but it works.
[/IMG]

mk3

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta GLS 5-speed
Fuel return lines on the injectors. I just replaced mine (2003, 285k miles). They were brittle near the injectors and cracked clean off when I tried tugging and twisting to remove.

at a certain age of vehicle, the rubber and plastic part failures are even more a nuisance than the rust

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
at a certain age of vehicle, the rubber and plastic part failures are even more a nuisance than the rust
Add wiring to the mix.:(

TDikook

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'06 Golf Anthracite Blue
would you recommend changing wheel bearings since everything else is getting done?

runonbeer

Maintenance EnthusiastVendor
TDI
'00 Golf 02M, '10 Golf 02E, '02 UTE 02M
Put a doggie collar on it if it doesn't already have one. Maybe a new thermostat & housing. Don't mess with the oil pump.

I wouldn't get too preemptive here. Just let Jason find what he is going to find. Take his word for it and let him fix it.

Lots of people have brought me long lists of things they want me to do that wind up being completely unnecessary. I find half a dozen problems that they didn't anticipate and fix those instead.

We are beyond "maintenance schedules" with these mkiv cars.