Fuel Filter Changed - NO START HELP

pginnetti

TDI
2001 TDI GLS Navy Blue
I just changed my fuel filter on a 2001 TDI. I removed the 3 hoses at the top of the filter and slid the old one out and put the new one back. It ran for 10 seconds then stalled. Any thoughts????? HELP

onehotspud

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Did you get fuel in to the filter? It requires that you either fill the filter with fuel or Power Service additive or, use some sort of sucking (technical term) device. DON'T JUST CRANK THE ENGINE TILL IT STARTS! You will burn up your injector pump.

Stirer

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2003 Platinum Gray GLS
Did you prefill the replacement filter with fuel? If not then you ran out of fuel. You can also fill the filter with PowerService fuel additivie or equivalent. You need to get the filter filled and then try to start it. I have never ran out, search online to see best how to recover, but that sounds like your most likely problem.

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
If you have a fast internet connection, check out the second video clip:
http://www.cincitdi.com/richc/

They use a MityVac to draw fuel in and fill the fuel filter. It's about $35 at many auto parts or WalMart type stores. Or, as mentioned the above posts, you can just remove the 'T' fitting and fill the fuel filter with diesel or a diesel additive (which is mostly diesel fuel anyway.)

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
I've always used my Pela 6000 to pull fuel through the fuel filter... (just need a little piece of "adapter" vinyl hose)

Of course, now I'm starting to see the usefulness of a Mity-Vac, so if I ever see one on sale...

Yuri.

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
The nice thing about the MityVac is that it only take a few squeezes to get up to a good vacuum, and you have a release trigger so you can quickly stop it as soon as you see diesel entering the line. Or brake fluid, for a brake fluid flush.

brucep

Veteran Member
TDI
peebs4u2
I have been using a "MityVac" for over 20 years to bleed hydrolic systems, suck fluid out of power-steering, prime pumps....etc

Beleive it or not, my wife got it at the hospital 25 years ago as part of a breast-pump system when our daughter was born. As soon as she was done with it, I confiscated it for my toolbox ;-)

Brooklyn_MI_TDI

TDI
2000 White Jetta TDI
Once you run it out of fuel it requires a bit more work however. Make sure you fill up the new fuel filter with fuel of PS as said before.

Then you are going to need to crack (only about 1/3 of a turn) the injector lines on the engine side while having someone else turning the car over. Crack a few of the four lines until you have diesel spraying out (place a rag or paper towels over it). Then it should reluctantly start up.

Good Luck.
Jason