PD fuel injector

gtrosema

TDI
2002 Jetta
I have a misfire on my # 1 cylinder. I was wondering if the cam had to be removed to replace it. I have a tool to remove the rocker arm on the Ford 4.6 and was wondering if it would be possible to remove the rocker arm and then the injector? Another thought , is the electrical part removable?
Have another motor and am just wondering if anyone has attempted soing this without removing the camshaft.

PGM jetta

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta BEW
To answer your question: No, camshaft does not need to be touched to remove a PD injector. The rocker arms are held down with 4 bolts each. One rocker does the right two injectors and one rocker does the left two. You would only need to remove one rocker. They are one time use bolts but you can buy other bolts that are reusable. Read up some on removing PD injectors and follow Franko6's instruction for adjusting the lash. BE SURE to clean the bore, buy an injector seal kit, and lube the O-rings when installing

It's pretty common for the injector harness to have some issues, whether it be loose connection or frayed wires. I would start there first before messing with the actual injector

mjydrafter

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
I will second everything that PGM says.

I was able to remove my injectors (carefully) with a regular slide hammer kit if it comes to it. It wasn't just a fluke, I have removed a few sets. Just an FYI, so you don't go buy a special puller. Anything relating to BEW injectors gets to be big $ fairly quickly.

I would test the heck out of the harness, like PGM mentioned, it's way less $, and way less hassle than messing with the injectors if you don't have to. You might even go a step further and verify that you aren't having a wiring issue between the injector harness and the ECU. Chasing electrical issues is very inexpensive (other than your time and labor) and repairs are pretty cheap too.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Chasing electrical issues is very inexpensive (other than your time and labor) and repairs are pretty cheap too.
Cheap unless you are paying to have it done. And if you are, the tech should have a better explanation for four hours of time than, "found chaffed wire and repaired".

mjydrafter

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Cheap unless you are paying to have it done. And if you are, the tech should have a better explanation for four hours of time than, "found chaffed wire and repaired".
True, I should have qualified that statement. :)