post-nozzle install ECU adjustments

Diesel_Knievel

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI GLS, Silver Arrow
Hi all. I'm just about to start installing some new nozzles (thanks, kerma
) and I just had a quick question about the post-install ECU adjustments. I understand that several ECU settings will need to be adjusted with vag-com after the new nozzles have been installed. However, it appears as if i might have to drive the car several miles (~20 miles) before the settings can be tweaked. Will the car be driveable after install, or should I just wait until I can have a vag-com at the car's side directly after the install?

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
You won't NEED to do a single thing in Vag-com. There are some "Nice-to-do" tweaking things like EGR adaptaton, maybe IQ adjust but otherwise plug-and-play. I never adjust anything in Vag-com for the nozzles I install in customer's cars. THey all work just fine.

mcdonneptdi1

TDI
2002 TDI GLS, 5 speed
I too just installed nozzles (PowerPlus 520's) from Kerma. I did not adjust anything via Vagcom. The nozzles are performing very well. Kerma--- I am advanced 5 degrees on timing via Vagcom. I have been advanced for 20k miles. Is this acceptable for these new nozzles?
Thanks

KERMA

TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
Uh Oh you're gonna have people freak out on you, changing timing in Vag-Com is a sacriledge. Really, you don't need to do it, the ECU eventually adapts back to where it should be, anyway.

Davin

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS 5spd blk/blk
Uh Oh you're gonna have people freak out on you, changing timing in Vag-Com is a sacriledge. Really, you don't need to do it, the ECU eventually adapts back to where it should be, anyway.
How does it adapt back to "where it should be"? The timing tweak changes the spec values. What's the mechanism?

KERMA

TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
How does it adapt back to "where it should be"? The timing tweak changes the spec values. What's the mechanism?
I'm not writing a peer-reviewed paper or anything, I don't care, what I have is anecdotal observations. I'm bench racing. I don't profess to know anything about closed-loop adaptive controls, that's your voodoo.

Adapt timing + and smoke, EGT goes down, noise goes up, few weeks later, those things are right back where it started. Try it and see for yourself. Nothing's gonna blow up, especially with your level of mods.

Smog

Registered Vendor
TDI
Jetta4 1999.5
Adapt timing + and smoke, EGT goes down, noise goes up, few weeks later, those things are right back where it started. Try it and see for yourself.
Same happened to mine and to my GF's car. so now I only change the IQ and EGR on customer's cars

Davin

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'm not writing a peer-reviewed paper or anything, I don't care, what I have is anecdotal observations. I'm bench racing. I don't profess to know anything about closed-loop adaptive controls, that's your voodoo.

Adapt timing + and smoke, EGT goes down, noise goes up, few weeks later, those things are right back where it started. Try it and see for yourself. Nothing's gonna blow up, especially with your level of mods.
Hey, I'm just asking, why the attitude?

So just anecdotal evidence, then. I have tried it, BTW. The ECU reports that the timing change holds after a long period of time. Unless over time the ECU starts reporting incorrect numbers for actual timing, and if it did that then why bother with the adaptation ability in the first place.

KERMA

TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
No Attitude, just trying to be witty, funny whatever. Hard to make that come across online.

Vag-Com always says timing is one thing, but Car acts different.

Davin

Top Post Dawg
TDI
OK, no worries. You're right... people will interpret the same written words in different ways. That reminds me... I should use smileys more often!

gbangs

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently
Hmmm,

My FA ECU on my B4 must be different than everybody elses.

I set timing +1 degree in adaptation. Did a VagCom run and timing is indeed +1 compared to baseline across the RPM range. Left the settings alone for over a month and rechecked with VagCom again. Still +1 across the board. Identical timing curves. Repeated the above with +2, and then -1. Same result.

So where and how is the ECU adjusting itself?

deltafox

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2000 black
No Attitude, just trying to be witty, funny whatever. Hard to make that come across online.

Vag-Com always says timing is one thing, but Car acts different.
Now my whole faith and religious belief in Vagcom is in danger of being quashed.
If this is true, what is purpose of adaptation? And if the adaptation says one thing, but the timing is actually another, what is the ECU measuring?

My whole life is on the verge of ruin.
If what you say is so, I'll be forced to sue Rosstech, sell my TDI, and burn my laptop. Don't make me do it!