free MOD that works ALH only

sam2007

Veteran Member
TDI
beetle TDI 2000
free MODS that work ALH only

So I found a post here on the forum about a subject I looked up re. Equalizing actual vs. specified MAF readings in vagcom ...MY Numbers before this mod were 900 specified and 500 actual ..with A bit of turbo lag.so I set out to get some more air to match the two numbers up closer to one another ... Replaced air filter opened up my snow screen and snorkel to the air box with a dremmel and removed the MAF grid screen .. Here is a picture of the approximately 1.5 inch screen that needs to be removed in the picture...not The larger screen only the smaller one is removed for this mod....
[1] with the MAF on your bench dremmel a slot for a standard screwdriver in the safety screw heads & remove the electronic sensor from the side of the maf ...punch Out the small screen with a socket extension or other ...
RESULTS ...Did this mod help the torque in my 2000 beetle ...i Did not expect such a big torque boost all I can say is .. I went from slight turbo lag to no turbo lag at all + much less smoke in the mid range of the powerband ..i Am guessing I picked up > 10 to 15 ft lbs more torque ... Requested vs. actual is now at 900/750... My beetle has a big pump larger turbo tune and 1019 nozzles ALL INSTALLED BE ME .. Good luck modding.

...[2]my egr mod keeps the computer thinking the egr is still there and all the benefits ect. heat for the faster warm ups you will not loose mpg with this egr mod .. see picture at the bottom of this page .... to keep more heat in the egr cooler this spacer is placed directly under the egr valve or at the egr end of the cooler.

my setup worked well and no CEL with a 1/4th inch hole. set adaptation in vagcom back to 32768

Last edited:

DT_Tuning

TDI
Fabia VRS
I'm not saying what you did didn't help, but actual vs specified is just target for EGR control. If it's been tuned and the EGR deleted then there's a strong possibility that the requested is 900 all the time. The screens are there as flow straighteners so you probably lost some accuracy by doing this, which is why it's faster.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
My MAF delete tune shows 850 all the time, but it seems to be a low smoke (well, it really doesn't smoke much at all) version. Runs fantastic, though, and the EGR readiness is always set, so whoever did it, did it right.

sam2007

Veteran Member
TDI
beetle TDI 2000
?

Its not that simple there are many other ECU controlled parameters other than EGR going on that change with MAF change

this mod along side tweaking mechanical pump timing ..Ecu Adaptation start of injection .. IQ and turbo actuator linkage adjustments fine tuning for my preferred power delivery vs. mpg ...

egr on egr off tunes .. adaption that tunes down egr can change more than we know only the best alh tuners really know all the parameters that change with egr.

I'm not saying what you did didn't help, but actual vs specified is just target for EGR control. If it's been tuned and the EGR deleted then there's a strong possibility that the requested is 900 all the time. The screens are there as flow straighteners so you probably lost some accuracy by doing this, which is why it's faster.

Last edited:

majesty78

Veteran Member
TDI
Skoda Superb 3T5 CFFB
The screen is there for a reason, not only because some VW engineer was bored.

Not a good idea to remove it, and not a good idea to recommend this to anyone.

hatemi

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A6 4F 3.0TDI
Yep. Totally pointless mod to ruin the sensors accuracy.

That said I always change for MAP based smone limitation on old TDIs anyway. One less part to fail.

sam2007

Veteran Member
TDI
beetle TDI 2000
oooooo well it worked very good at adding some fun pep to my car and after driving for two days my MPG is about the same ...so save the screen and replace it back if you dont like your results.

DT_Tuning

TDI
Fabia VRS
Its not that simple there are many other ECU controlled parameters other than EGR going on that change with MAF change

this mod along side tweaking mechanical pump timing ..Ecu Adaptation start of injection .. IQ and turbo actuator linkage adjustments fine tuning for my preferred power delivery vs. mpg ...

egr on egr off tunes .. adaption that tunes down egr can change more than we know only the best alh tuners really know all the parameters that change with egr.
Are you seriously trying to tell me that I don't know what I'm talking about? Well, I'm glad you're here to tell us all how it's done. Lead on.

sam2007

Veteran Member
TDI
beetle TDI 2000
I think you do know your stuff..But you were thinking people reading here and myself are simpletons with a statement like that ..a maf flow increase effects [the system] from maf and everything connected. nuff said no need to reply

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I think you're just working around a fading MAF sensor. If your hardware is in good condition and your car is set up and maintained properly, you won't have turbo lag.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
nah I swapped in a 3" volvo maf body (then later a vr6 one when I found one, it fits the airbox cover much better as the volvo's mounting tabs are 90 degrees off, which would put the connector through the hood)
and redid the linearization directly from the hfm5 datasheet's values, extrapolated to fill the MAF table

ETA: also divided the resultant linearization by two along with the smokemaps, in order to get around the limitation of 1250 mg/str

Last edited: