2.0PD pistons on BRM

morpwr

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta DSG Highline Red w/tan
Anybody know if the european PD 2.0 pistons fit on a BRM. If not what do you have to change to fit them, besides boring. Thank you in advance.

morpwr

Veteran Member
TDI
Pistons

I am going to England to see some relatives, and was thinking about getting a 2.0 PD head. Just wondering if 2.0 PD pistons were compatible with our NA BRM,s or maybe the 2.0 CR pistons

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
So I guess by 2.0 PD you are expressly referring to the 16V variant? If so, what makes you think the central-bowl pistons are interchangeable with the off-centre BRM ones, to speak nothing of the compatibility of the 16V to the 8V block?

morpwr

Veteran Member
TDI
8V to 16V

Along time ago on this forum Ryan from Darkside said the 2.0 16V head will bolt on for the 8V 1.9 head. I am pretty sure there is a member from Quebec that may have done this. What I am not sure about is that in order to put this head on my BRM I would like to use 2.0 pistons. So I do not know if the 2.0 PD or CR european pistons are compatible with the BRM rods, or do I need to swap pistons and rods. I just thought with all the experience out there someone would know this. I would appreciate any information. Thank you.

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
The answer is that there are several pistons we use that are compatible with the beveled, cracked rods. If you are using a 16v head, the injectors are centered, so neither the BRM pistons or the BHW, or for that matter ANY 8v pistons will work. You have to get a piston with a centered combustion bowl that works with that BKD head. I would think the common rail pistons might work, but there is a large drop in CR, which in Ontario, may make an engine that is dicey to start in winter.

Also, you will have to get center-firing injectors that work with the 16v head, as the injectors would not be a elliptical injector nozzle, but a flat spray pattern.

I am not sure what timing setup you would need to do, but before I start dropping a bunch of money into the project, you first need to figure all the oddities of the engine.

There really isn't a difference between a 1.9 BRM cylinder head or a 2.0 BHW cylinder head. The only change between them is the larger injector size for the BHW and a very slight difference in the cam's injector profile, which we completely change to something else. But the 1.9 8v and the 2.0 8v heads are identical in the castings.

The 2.0 16v head is interchangeable, but then, you are talking a very problematic cylinder head. All the effort to do and you most likely will suffer the same issues of cracking and water leaks.

If you cannot be dissuaded, I would suggest you go to the latest years of manufacture, as they were supposed to fix some, if not all the issues for that cylinder head.

morpwr

Veteran Member
TDI
Thank you Frank

What I really wanted to know was if the BKD or any other 2.0 litre PD or CR pistons would fit on my BRM rods. From your reply it would seem they do. I did not realise that the 2.0 PD or CR pistons had a larger dish, so the compression ratio would be dropped. I thought that if the pistons were designed to work with the 16V head, it would be the same once my engine was put together. We have 2.0 CR engines in Canada and they start OK. I also did not know that 1.9PD injectors had an elliptical spray pattern for the off set chamber. I could probably put 2.0 16V nozzles on my BRM injectors to get a symetrical spray pattern. The worst would be to get the Bosch 16V PD injectors with the head. The main reason to put on the 16V head is because in one or two threads, it said it outflows a modified 8V head.