Starts great, no power

LightningBug

TDI
1.9 Beetle
Well I finally got a chance to put the new arm on the actuator for the EGR. Test drove and it works! We got power back! Still have the issue with the check engine light though. Went for an inspection and they couldn't get past the code. Says "#4 glow circuit". I checked through the glow circuit and verified #4 working just fine. I did see a thread on here that said the numbers may be backwards on the code reporting. I will have to check the others again. I did check the plugs themselves, I just didn't check the wiring and voltages at the others. Maybe tonight.

LightningBug

TDI
1.9 Beetle
Ok, so who is correct? Do I need to clear the code and how? I've checked everything I can think of on the glow circuit and everything is working as I would expect. Start the engine, wait about a minute and the check engine light comes back on. Code still says #4 glow circuit. This is the only thing keeping me from getting the inspection and driving this stupid thing! Driving me nuts!

Dieselmonkey02

Veteran Member
TDI
02 jetta
#4 plug will be #1 actually. At the timing belt end. The code could be cleared with a vag com. Idk if it will go away on its own. Try dielectric grade on the GP harness, it might work.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
You will need to find someone with a scanner to clear the code... it will NOT go away on its own... at least, not for many many starts... if ever. :)

Some troubles will clear themselves but many won't, because the light is not telling you there's an error... it's telling you the flight recorder saw an error, logged a code, and stored it in non-volatile memory for you to read at your leasure. So, the light stays on till you read the code and then clear it from memory.

In the case of glow plugs... the system monitors the resistance of each plug and gets annoyed if a plug has a different resistance than the others.

So, to check the glow plugs you need to carefully measure their resistance with a sensitive ohmmeter.. and they all need to be within a few tenths of an ohm of each other.

Meaning: they can pass a simple continuity check with test light but still flunk the system test. There's a large "Glowplug 101 V2" thread with pages and pages of details if you want to dig in further. :)

Last edited:

Johnny G1

TDI
2013 golf wagon DSg
The one thing I found with glow plugs is that I had to wait a bit before I cranked the engine, if in a big hurry it would trip cel every time and yes you need a code reader to clear the light or code. This was on my 2003 Jetta Tdi at the time.

LightningBug

TDI
1.9 Beetle
Oh alright, fine! I finally broke down and got VD, err I mean VC D.D.S., oh, crud, a freakin' scanner! (Sorry, I work for a government contractor and I can't stand the way these "non-military" people around here think that EVERYTHING needs to be an acronym.) Anyway, I finally got a scanner and read the details of the code and cleared it. All fixed! Passed inspection and everything! Problem was intermittent low voltage on the glow circuit. Probably happened when they tried to start it when the battery was dead. Scanner was the only way to clear it. Now I need to fix the seatbelt switch to get the airbag light to stay off and figure out why the "low fuel" indicator is staying on. Little things.

Thanks for the help here and I will stay tuned for info on other projects down the road!