rear caliper tool

gregtx

TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI Tornado Red, 2003 Ford F-250 Crew Cab 7.3 PowerStroke 4x4 RED
Hello to all...I'm attempting my first brake job on my '02 Jetta...started off by collecting all parts and tools needed this past week and hours of searching and researching in here.

Everything was going well till it came time to compress the piston back in the calliper...the caliper is all the way out and there isn't enough room to fit the caliper tool into the caliper. I wrestled with it gently for fear of damaging something (brake line)...I even loosened the master cylinder cap and bled off some fluid at the caliper.

Is there any trick yall know that might help me out? Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions

Greg

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
What tool do you have? Are you aware that the piston needs to be rotated back in? I think the Metalnerd reset tool should work no matter what. Autozone (or equivalent) loaner tools should work as well. Some people have reported being able to turn it back in with a c-clamp. Maybe you could get it started with that.

wayne strutt

TDI
2005 JETTA tdi bew
Go here to get the proper tool.
http://www.metalnerd.com/cat08.htm

You can also get a generic rear brake tool from Sears/AutoZone in the US or ctc in Ca. ($10-12 or less). Its a square block with various-sized pins on all 6 sides along with holes for a 3/8' socket . You may have to grind the pins to fit the v groove in the piston. This works ok if your patient. It will however slip easily if not enough pressure is applied while turning.
WS

gregtx

TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI Tornado Red, 2003 Ford F-250 Crew Cab 7.3 PowerStroke 4x4 RED
I have the Harbor Freight caliper tool and there's just not enough room to fit the tool between the piston and the caliper housing...but will make multiple attempts in the morning...and try the c clamp and twisting method you suggest...thanks for the tip.

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
In a jam, I used needle nose pliers and they did screw the piston back in by placing the tips into the slots and turning. Don't use a big C-clamp, you could really screw up the parking brake system inside.

Chemboy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen DSG
gregtx said:
I have the Harbor Freight caliper tool and there's just not enough room to fit the tool between the piston and the caliper housing...but will make multiple attempts in the morning...and try the c clamp and twisting method you suggest...thanks for the tip.
I've never had a problem with mine, just make sure you're using the correct adaptor. I know two of them fit VW caliper pistons...maybe one has a little less clearance?

Andy

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
Chemboy said:
I've never had a problem with mine, just make sure you're using the correct adaptor. I know two of them fit VW caliper pistons...maybe one has a little less clearance?

Andy
If the piston extends all the way out, the HF tool will not work. Metalnerd tool does though.

He will have to apply pressure with a C-clamp while turning the piston by other means. Just not so much pressure as one would apply if trying to use just the C-clamp to put the piston back in. I suggest getting a helping hand from an assistant to hold the caliper.

Grady

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta
Had the same problem with the rear caliper pistons on my '01 Jetta at about 167k on the original pads.

I had to gently apply pressure with a C-clamp and used the appropriately sized HF adaptor plate to provide a method of transferring the rotational force from a pair of Channel-lock pliers.

The OD of the adaptor provided just enough meat to have the pliers grip to, instead of them contacting the piston. After a couple of slight grips and small turns with the pliers, there was enough clearance between the piston and caliper to use the HF tool.

Chemboy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen DSG
MOGolf said:
If the piston extends all the way out, the HF tool will not work. Metalnerd tool does though. .
I don't know what to tell you. I replaced my rear pads when there was ~1 mm of material left (and they were the second set of pads on the rotors) - I didn't have any trouble with the correct adaptor.

Andy

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
Chemboy said:
I don't know what to tell you. I replaced my rear pads when there was ~1 mm of material left (and they were the second set of pads on the rotors) - I didn't have any trouble with the correct adaptor.

Andy
I've had them here with less than that and into the metal. The HF tool didn't work. There could also be variances in the castings that cause just that little bit of difference between being able to and not.

In most cases, when the replacement is being done at a prudent time, the HF tool will work.

dclark

Veteran Member
I wasted $10 on that universal block thingie, couldn't get psiton turned down all the way. The tool kept slipping. Got the metalnerd tool last week, did the job yesterday. The hard part was getting the pads back into the stupid little shims.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
The cube tool works great. What you do is use a big clamp to hold the caliper so it doesn't slip off of the guide pins. That allows you to turn and push the piston with both hands.