Interesting Power / Economy box on Ebay....WOW

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
HI All,

Just messing around on eBay for interesting stuff for my car and I ran across this...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nitro-ECU-O...ash=item3613417b56:g:82oAAOSwWxNYr~ds&vxp=mtr

How does something like this work?...Has anybody here tried it?

Seems too good to be true BUT look at how many sold (there is another eBay ad that sold 87 of these) and they have 100% fedback !

Are we paying WAY too much for our Tunes?

Andrew

Dieselmonkey02

Veteran Member
TDI
02 jetta
I wouldn't do it. A good tune should leave the safety margins of the engine intact. Most of those boxes just "lie" to sensors. Which may or may not put things out of spec.

Just for the heck of it- say it changes what the MAF puts out , car dumps in more fuel since it thinks it has more air, EGT goes up and kills your turbo. Just a simple single scenario, but who knows for sure what it actually does?

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Looks like it simply fakes out the fuel temp sensor. IIRC there were some "power boxes" for the rotary pump cars that did the same thing.

-J

fouillard13

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta TDI Standard
my buddy bought something like one time... the $25 ebay racing chip for his truck.

he told everyone about it, he was so proud and so excited to get it on. we installed it one night (all it did was T splice into existing wires) and he loved it. said it made his truck feel way stronger. works great.

he went to show someone the chip one day after bragging up how good it works for about 2 weeks... popped the hood, and it wasnt even plugged in!! one of the cheap T splice pices had let go, and it wasnt even plugged in the whole time.. just sitting there dangling, about to fall off and hit the road!!! hahaha.

Last edited:

PB_NB

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 New Beetle
The yellow box is for a 1.8T gasser!

I have a Diesel Power tuning box that was one of my first upgrades and all it did was increase the fuel to the IP by using a variable resistor and controlled by the TPS.

Did great while installed but the smoke was so thick that cars following me had to pull over.

A tune is really the way to go!