Help! Help! Asap

Joester

Vendor
TDI
2002 Golf TDI
...or you can buy a mightyvac and get your moneys worth the first time you use it and then use it for EVERYTHING ELSE you ever do on these cars.

ItAintRodKnock

Veteran Member
TDI
01GolfTDi
Joester said:
...or you can buy a mightyvac and get your moneys worth the first time you use it and then use it for EVERYTHING ELSE you ever do on these cars.
Yeah. Butttt work is in 1 hr. And wal mart is the only thing open and I have no ride.

But if it's not done tonight mighty vac for sure

Joester

Vendor
TDI
2002 Golf TDI
are you building my device? i just went and i can suck 25 mm/hg according to my mityvac, and all that was required was like 5, so i think my device might work for you if you understand it.

Joester

Vendor
TDI
2002 Golf TDI
you essentially need to suck on the return line (the black line going from the Injection pump to the fuel filter, but if you were to just suck, you would get diesel all in your mouth. the gatorade bottle just is a canister that still holds vacuum, but the diesel will fall inside while you still suck on air (that may or may not get you high/kill many brain cells)

ItAintRodKnock

Veteran Member
TDI
01GolfTDi
I'm making mysel more confused.

All hoses an everything connected. Disconnect black from filter. Suck good, but cautiously. When I get fuel plug the hole and reconnect

Joester

Vendor
TDI
2002 Golf TDI
DubinJax said:
I'm making mysel more confused.

All hoses an everything connected. Disconnect black from filter. Suck good, but cautiously. When I get fuel plug the hole and reconnect
yes, plug the fuel filter nipple that you took the hose off of as well. then slightly loosen the injector nuts and crank it oveer with a partner watch for fuel coming form all 4.

the only problem is that the line is black, so if you suck straight on it, you are bound to suck in some diesel and not probably, but possibly die.

to make it easier, you can disconnect the clear line first and suck on the fuel filter nipple, and then once you KNOW you have fuel there you can suck on the black line. dont suck on the clear line, suck on the nipple that the clear line usually goes on to.

DISCLAIMER: i am not at fault if you suck in diesel. the proper way is to use a vacuum pump. also, no sexual innuendos please.

Joester

Vendor
TDI
2002 Golf TDI
k be careful. best of luck. im going to sleep soon. if unsuccesful i think auto parts stores and harbor frieght carry cheapy versions of mightyvacs if youre desparate.

ItAintRodKnock

Veteran Member
TDI
01GolfTDi
Joester said:
k be careful. best of luck. im going to sleep soon. if unsuccesful i think auto parts stores and harbor frieght carry cheapy versions of mightyvacs if youre desparate.
Yeah I'll buy if I don't get it. Goodnight

btcost

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 JSW, '00 Jetta (totaled 12/23/10), 1987 M-B 300D
You don't need a mityvac. But having one is nice.

To get the car started just crack the injector nuts and crank away. Crank for 30 seconds and then let the starter cool. You want to crank until fuel spits out of all 4 injectors. Then tighten down the nuts and try to start again. It should turn over by then.

Pulling fuel with a mityvac makes the process much shorter and eaiser on your stArter and battery. But you can get it started without one.

mikey141414

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A 2015 Nissan Rogue, 2017 Sonata Plug in Hybrid
I just chnaged out my nozzles yesterday and had heard a very easy way of needing to do any vaccuum. Just do 2 at a time and start the car in between. That way 2 are already primed to get the car going. It worked great! No need to crack the lines and crank on the engine like crazy.

Hope you get it going!!!

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
mikey141414 said:
I just chnaged out my nozzles yesterday and had heard a very easy way of needing to do any vaccuum. Just do 2 at a time and start the car in between. That way 2 are already primed to get the car going. It worked great! No need to crack the lines and crank on the engine like crazy.

Hope you get it going!!!
Now THAT is thinking with your dipstick, Mikey!!!!! :)

An Elegant Solution.

Bill

quantum_tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
R320 CDI, '96 B4V (for sale)
mikey141414 said:

Hope you get it going!!!
Mikey gets shadetree mechanic props on this one.

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
Priming a good, functioning IP is pretty straight forward. Even though you don't own a Mity-Vac, most pumps will prime themselves... it just takes a bit more work. First, make sure your filter is full of fuel. You do this by drawing fuel from the filter outlet where it connects to the IP. Alternatively, you can pull the thermostatic-T on the top of the filter and fill it w/diesel or stanadyne, dieselkleen, etc. Once you know the filter is full (or as full as possible), then try and pull the fuel from the IP side of the thermostatic-T. This is the hard part w/o a Mity-VAC. You can unhook the hose, put it into a jar/jug and crank until you get fuel. It may take a while and depends on the pump integrity and how much air it has to dispell. Don't crank for long periods of time and let the starter cool every few minutes. Once you get fuel out the outlet side of the IP, re-hook your thermostatic-T up and then crack your injector nuts. I just loosen them a few threads and wrap them in a paper towel. This keeps the fuel from spraying all over the place yet lets you see pretty quickly when fuel is coming out. Thick, heavy rags can obscure the event and get messy as they absorb lots of fuel before it shows on the outer surface. Once you get fuel to the injectors, tighten everything up and it should fire off within a few seconds (rather roughly at first). Within another few seconds, the idle should smooth out and run pretty "normally". All of this has been explained above but... you're just fighting some air in the lines and getting things primed can be somewhat of a bear, sometimes. You should entertain the idea of picking up a Mity-Vac. They're cheap and indispensible for this and many other jobs...

Joester

Vendor
TDI
2002 Golf TDI
DubinJax said:
Alright I filled the pump and filter
still can't get it to start.

1 injector leaks.
how long did you crank? its going to take a while. jump to another car if you dont have the power, make sure to let things cool down too, dont just sit there cranking.

Joester

Vendor
TDI
2002 Golf TDI
which leak? did you use new crush washers? did you use new o-rings if you pulled the T fitting?

n6nxl

TDI
03 Jetta Wagon
I put one and a half gallons of diesel in a 2 gallon jug and set it on the passenger side roof. Then I disconnected the hose from the tank into the fuel filter. Then I borrowed that short piece of rubber hose from the coolant overflow tank, And pulled a siphon on a piece of quarter inch clear plastic tube. Using the short 2 inch piece of black rubber hose to connect the two I did all my cranky and priming with a pressurized fuel system. Once the engine started I reconnected the tank supply and dump the rest of the fuel cans in the tank

bthachad09

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
What is wrong

This happened to me in 2009. I got my first TDI and it was December in Tennessee and we had just gotten a lot of snow. I started my car in the morning just fine as usual. On my way to work it started sputtering kind as if it wasnt getting enough fuel. Little did I know that you need to half half a tank + if the temperature gets to freezing or below. After having it towed to this little sandwhich stop and working all day wondering how the hell am I going to get home (im no mechanic) after work all i did was put in all thats wrong or what was going on (GOOGLE) and it told me to loosen the injectors, crank it a few times (think I did it 7-10 time) and tighten them back up. Once I did that it started right up and i was on my happy way Im saying this to tell you to try the injectors first then go from there.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
thread from 2010, revived for not much in 2017, now 2019?
It helps to start a new thread guys!