Forum "Performance" at 00:03 PST

Digital Corpus

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'97 B4 w/ 236K mi body, 46K mi soul
I don't know everything about computers, hardware or software, but I consider myself well versed by living with the 3 main OS's in my daily life. So, anyhow, I assume Fred has this hosted on Linux, no? The nightly emails are sent out at the time and the sever effectively denies all traffic due to server load for about 7-10 minutes. The weekly emails are sent out at 00:30, and cause hiccups too, but that's be not nightly. Are the emails sentence out by a separate deamon or by vBulletin? Are they controlled by vBulletin's own scheduling, or by a cron job?

I know there aren't many users on at this hour, but when there is a predictable hault to anything happening on the forums, it's effectively 404'd during this time, it is rather frustrating. Can a minimal priority be assigned to the process responsible? I know I cannot tell if you the slowdown is due to flodded network traffic, or over-zealous CPU scheduling, or uncached reads from disk for populating the body of the emails.

If you're on Linux, please look into "nice" and "ionice". If it is network act, look at the code and see if you can add in a 10-50 ms, 0.01-0.05 s, sleep or pause between individual emails sends or limit concurrency to like ~100-200 instances.

Sincerely,
A local Night Owl

Last edited:

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
I didn't understand that but it's certainly written with some computer knowledge behind it rather than "Why does it take so many stepz to post pikchures?"

Anyway, here is a bump during regular hours.