Cig lighter short, now CEL, TPMS, and pass airbag

CTD_Chevrolet

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Jetta S DSG, '02 Jetta ALH 5spd
Hey guys,
My mom just flew down to San Diego today to pick up a used 2012 A3 TDI. She plugged in her phone charger, and TPMS warning went on. Shortly thereafter, CEL and passenger airbag lights went on.
After stopping, she noticed a penny in the cigarette lighter socket. Obviously she's pretty upset, she's just on the north side of the grapevine on her way back to the bay area. Me and my vagcom are 1,000 miles away, and I don't know much about the A3 or newer body style in general.

Does anyone have any ideas? I told her to keep driving it, I'm assuming the CEL is to say either the seat sensor isn't working or TPMS reading is out of range.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
The A3 is basically the same as the JSW (as far as the electronics goes). When she gets back, scan it with VCDS. I suspect most of the problems will be voltage related. Try clearing all the faults and then see which ones (if any) come back. This will eliminate any intermittent fault codes caused by the short circuit. If there are still any other faults, you will have to figure them out after this. Good Luck.

Have Fun!

Don

P.S. You will need a CAN bus version of VCDS interface cable, either a MicroCAN or a HEX+CAN interface.

CTD_Chevrolet

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Jetta S DSG, '02 Jetta ALH 5spd
I know this is an old thread, but I thought I'd post up an update in case someone comes across it in a search.

She took the coin out of the lighter plug, changed the fuse, had the codes cleared, and everything was fine.

Keasbey

TDI
2010 A3
did this in my mustang. always check the fuses and swap whats bad. should fix it for most vehicles or atleast help in trouble shooting.

Thanks for updating, i hate it when there are good questions that never get clarified.