VNT-17 rebuild or parts optons

Ironforger

Veteran Member
Hey folks,

I just picked up a used ALH with about 110,000 miles on it. it came with a newer Garrett VNT-17 which itself has about 20,000 miles on it.

Regardless, although the VNT-17 looks obviously newer, it has some shaft play. Figured I'd replace the entire turbo cartridge assembly and move forward but I can't seem to find any reputable parts dealers. I'm only finding cheap chinese cartrigdes and I wont waste my time on the cheap stuff.

Tried kerma and idparts, both only sell full new turbos, no parts.

Any suggestions? Thanks

Last edited:

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Can't recommend turbo re-build, but if your VNT-17 only has 20k miles, I'd run it. Unless it is some sort of cheapa$$ unit.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
I second that. You say it has shaft play. Is it touching the housing? Or just really close? If it's not touching, the oil cushion will hold it centered and will be just fine. If you haven't pulled the turbo off yet, I wouldn't.

Ironforger

Veteran Member
I second that. You say it has shaft play. Is it touching the housing? Or just really close? If it's not touching, the oil cushion will hold it centered and will be just fine. If you haven't pulled the turbo off yet, I wouldn't.

Can't recommend turbo re-build, but if your VNT-17 only has 20k miles, I'd run it. Unless it is some sort of cheapa$$ unit.

Thanks Guys. Yea what the hell. I'll run it.

The impellar is not touching the housing.

If it blows, then I'll replace it. Easy job to replace the turbo anyway.. It's got the kerma flexible braided stainless oil feed line. Sure beats that factory hard line which is a total pain in the ass and half the battle when it comes to taking things apart back there.

Last edited:

Typrus

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Black Jetta Sedan GLS/TDI 5mt
The factory spec on axial play is honestly- "No contact allowed"
If you can't push the impellar wheel over with slight force (you aren't trying to break it after all) and have it contact the housing, run it.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
A rebuild kit is around $75.00, and the labor to rebuild and re balance is in the $80.00 neighborhood; that puts it about $200.00 including shipping.

Ironforger

Veteran Member
A rebuild kit is around $75.00, and the labor to rebuild and re balance is in the $80.00 neighborhood; that puts it about $200.00 including shipping.

Thanks Nevada,

I'll keep that in mind if I decided to go the rebuild route. Are you a vendor who does this? Or is there someone you recommend?