Cooling Problem

malibuz16

TDI
2002 Golf 01M
2002 Golf ALH 01M with an EGR delete. Dash reports 190°, Infrared reading at head/coolant flange 200°. Upper hose warm (150°), Lower hose (76°). Both fans work with AC on but I can't get the inlet hose (lower) to temp. I have tried three different thermostats 192° OE, 192° aftermarket, 180°. I have checked the water pump while the thermostats were out.

The EGR delete consists of block off plates and removal of the EGR cooler.

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
The cluster gauge will report 190*F if the temp is anywhere between ~ 175-210*F
Its not an accurate source of information...It is just trying to not worry you about what the temp really is but lets you know when things are too far out of the norm.

If you want to know what the ECU makes it's engine management decisions upon you would need to read the coolant sensor at the OBD2 port with a scanner like ScanGauge or VCDS.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
" I can't get the inlet hose (lower) to temp. "

Lower hose is after the radiator has cooled the coolant and is returning to cool the engine. The 200 at the head is coming out and about as good as you will get. You are ok.

malibuz16

TDI
2002 Golf 01M
My problem is that I don't see the thermostat open. The heater runs hot, and I see flow in the recovery tank. I will check with VCDS.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
These cars have one helluva good cooling system and diesels don't make much heat without a load...if you wanna see lower temp up a little, go for a spirited drive and pop the hood and watch the temp go down. The larger the difference between upper and lower hoses the better, it means your radiator is doing it's job

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Andrew Dale

TDI
MK4 TDI Golf
by cooling problem you mean the dash gauge isnt being exact with the actual ECT? overheating is probably the least of your worries with a TDI

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
My problem is that I don't see the thermostat open.
You won't, except on hot summer days stuck in traffic. :)

As posted above, TDIs produce very little waste heat. Also a factor is the heater core which always has coolant flowing thru it.

In general the temperature will sneak up to the t-stat's rated temp and sit there, t-stat barely open.

Also as posted above, you'll need VCDS or other scan tool to actually see what's going on... the dash gauge has a wide hysteresis band right around operating temperature.

Or are we misunderstanding your concern?

malibuz16

TDI
2002 Golf 01M
You won't, except on hot summer days stuck in traffic. :)
As posted above, TDIs produce very little waste heat. Also a factor is the heater core which always has coolant flowing thru it.
In general the temperature will sneak up to the t-stat's rated temp and sit there, t-stat barely open.
Also as posted above, you'll need VCDS or other scan tool to actually see what's going on... the dash gauge has a wide hysteresis band right around operating temperature.
Or are we misunderstanding your concern?
That is my concern...after a 45-mile drive I can hear the coolant bottle bubbling, but no cooling fans. right now I'm trying to flush the cooling system to remove green coolant and install G12, but have no flow in the radiator. That is why I went to a 180° thermostat.

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
Hmmm....I wonder if you don't have a head gasket breach.
You could be inflating the cooling system if the the temperature is normal.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
You may have a clogged radiator due to the green coolant. CoolAirVW has a u-tube video
with that same problem.