GLI CV Joint Boot Replacement Part

TDI
2004 beige VW Jetta TDI and 2014 Passat TDI
Hey guys.
I drive a '04 Jetta TDI, but my wife drives a '05 Jetta GLI. Her steering rack went out a while ago and I finally got around to replacing it this weekend. After taking down the subframe, I noticed her passenger inner CV joint boot was ripped. Having replaced my CV joint boots a year ago, I knew what the process was. As I was putting on the replacement boot on, I noticed the cylinder where the boot connects (where the three bearing go into) to has these three divots inwards. Here is a picture of the driver inner boot to show the divot.
Have any of you guys heard of this/seen this before? if so, what's the specific joint boot part I need? I know this isn't a TDI specific question, but I can't find the part anywhere.
I really would prefer to buy the CV joint boot rather than a new CV shaft...
Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

Last edited:

coolvdub

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI/2013 JSW
I believe the poster above me is correct that it ia an 09A Tiptronic. In which case it will have a Tripod inner CV joint, which takes a unique style of boot. Check with ID Parts or I used to get mine from ECS when I had a gas car.

TDI
2004 beige VW Jetta TDI and 2014 Passat TDI
thank you. Getting that boot is a whole lot better than getting a new shaft. I’ll call both stores to verify it will fit the tripod inner cv joint.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Most times the fit you need is accomplished with an extra shaped piece that goes on the CV joint end, and then a regular round boot fits onto that. Just take care to line up both pieces and you'll be fine.

Good luck,

PH