Just made the move from a BRM Jetta TDI

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
Just made the move from a BRM Jetta TDI to a 2013 TDI Golf w/DSG

Hi Folks,
I haven't been here in a while, and when I was I was frequenting the Mk5 forum, and the Mk4 forum before that. Anyhow...I hope I'm not completely out of my mind, but I just sold a nice 2006 BRM Jetta and bought a super low mile 2013 "fixed" Golf. This "new" Golf is a Comfortline (I guess?) with only 17,000 miles on it. It was sold new later in 2013 and was serviced by the same VW dealer until it was sold back VW later in 2017. The car is pretty clean, and the engine bay and interior literally looks brand new. Couple scratches on the outside, but nothing serious.
I've been doing some reading on here and over at myturbodiesel, but I have a few questions I thought I'd throw out there for anybody willing to answer in the meantime.
The first order of business is to get a stereo for this thing. Currently has the plain Jane RCD310. I need Bluetooth for streaming Podcasts, and handsfree phone, etc. I would also like Navigation, but I guess it's not critical. I don't need AM, Back up cam, Satellite, CD, or HD radio, but Bluetooth is critical for streaming and phone. Factory-ish look in appearance is important to me. Is anybody buying any of the many offerings on Ebay? Like this one below?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-VW-Vol...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649
Since this thing has been sitting for at least two years, I guess I should do some service to it...oil and filter changes, etc. Any recommendations here...what to do and/or check? The car is a DSG. The engine purrs like a kitten and it seems to drive nice.
What are these "fixed" 2.0 DSG cars getting for MPG? My BRM 5spd Jetta was regularly in the 42-44 MPG range, mostly all highway. Am I going to be getting anywhere near that with this car? Any comments good or bad?
Anyway, I just wanted to say hi and hopefully get the Coles Notes on this car....MPG, recommended initial service, and must-have mods or things to do for maintenance and/or mpg benefits.
Thanks Folks,
Rem

Last edited:

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
Hello there,

Welcome back to the forum of TDI, I came out from a 2011 JSW TDI with nearly 300k miles. Got myself an fixed/buyback 2014 JSW TDI with 27k miles on last week of August and she sat for 2 years and the result is 5 HPFP failures and on the 5th they found mold in the gas tank.

So keep a eye on your car, after fill up a fresh tank of diesel and try to drive her hard to see if CEL thrown with flashing glow plug light and if you pull codes on VCDS that says 0087 then you may have the same problem as I have. To be honest, I wont be surprised there are many TDI’s out there with mold on the gas tank. The fuel filter was coated in black (fuel filter was a month or two old before 4th HPFP as I told mechanic to please put a new filter just in case) on the 5th HPFP. Thats what prompted the mechanic to finally LOOK into the gas tank.... the rest is history.

2 weeks now in my possession, she runs a lot better and starts like new.

I got myself an 2003 ALH 5 speed wagon from a close friend as backup car, I don’t like their TSI loaner cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
With my 2014 JSW with DSG I average 39-44 MPG depending on road conditions. I know nothing about radio system as I know I have RND510 as factory installed.

Good luck with your new ride.

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
With my 2014 JSW with DSG I average 39-44 MPG depending on road conditions.
Oh that MPG is good news then, that's great. If I can manage 44 driving it easy I'll be pleased as punch! Thanks for the heads up on the other stuff. I'm going to do filters and fluids and I'll run a VCDS autoscan to see if anything pops up.

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
So keep a eye on your car, after fill up a fresh tank of diesel and try to drive her hard to see if CEL thrown with flashing glow plug light and if you pull codes on VCDS that says 0087 then you may have the same problem as I have.
I picked the Golf up tonight with only about 1/8 of a tank in it or less. Picked up a bottle of fuel conditioner (Diesel Kleen white bottle) and drove it about 20-25 miles before filling up. Added some conditioner, filled to the brim, and drove about 85 miles home. She's purring like a kitten.

Ran a VCDS Autoscan when I got home and it was clean as Kleenex. Not a code, error, or fault to be found anywhere. I think it's the first time I've ever seen a 100% clean Autoscan;).

Question: When these things were getting their emissions "fix" (I assume at the VW dealers?), did they do anything else to them at the same time? Oil and/or fuel filter changes, etc?

On a 2013 model Golf, was the fix just in ECU software, or were there any hard parts changed?

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Awesome! Glad to hear none on VCDS. Mine didn’t show anything until after first HPFP failed then codes kept coming as P0087 and kept coming back to me until after 5th, finally gone! Its the danged mold in the gas tank that caused gas pumps to whine constantly. It was a ear sore.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
For oil changes and such, its on your dime. I dont think its free anymore after you purchased it.

You have EA189 Common Rail engine like my 2011 and 14 JSW, its software into ECU only.

EA288 thats in all 2015’s, gets ecu re-programming PLUS hardware changed for the “better” emissions to make EPA happy since they have the DEF/SCR. That involves 2012-14 passat TDI’s that has DEF. Golf/Jetta/JSW don’t have DEF from 2009-14.

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
I've got a couple hundred miles on the little TDI Golf now and it's running nicely. Got some new tires installed this morning. The car had an awful set of worn winter rubber installed...I assume the same as everybody did before returning the cars.

Stopped by one of the local VW dealers to get something on paper confirming my new post-fix TDI warranty. Service guy was helpful and printed out a sheet for me showing that the GEN-1 Approved Emissions Modification was performed on March 4th 2019, and that the 24CV Recall (Inlet Air Box/Snow Flap/O2 Sensor) was performed on Sept 18th, 2017.

Checked the oil this morning and everything on the dipstick looked fine, however there was some moisture build-up under the oil fill cap and where it sits. I've never seen this show up on any of my TDI's before. I drive mine 7 days a week and spend quite a bit of time on the highway (3000 miles per month usually) so I never see any moisture build-up.

According to the CarFax report, the original owner was diligent with the dealer service. Looks like the car was into the dealer for oil and filter changes several times and fuel filter changed a couple times, even though it only has 17,000 miles on it. I guess they were taking it in for it's service visits based on time passed instead of mileage.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Hmm, I better double check my TDI’s. Thanks for the heads up. Also am truly glad to hear that you are enjoying your TDI :) they are fun little cars. If I am retired, I would get a Golf TDI. Someday perhaps.....

ss_mini14

TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen
Had my old BRM towed away this morning, wish I could have fixed it. I've had my 2011 for about two months. I averaged 36 mpg when I first got it. Its dropped to 32 since I turned on the AC. To be fair, this is mostly city and rush hour driving. Out on the road it's closer to 48. I'm pretty sure I have a new DPF and cat. Both look newer than the rest of the exhaust system.

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
I finally burned enough diesel to get to the half way mark on the gauge and I'm at 530 km (330 miles). This is mostly in the city, although not in stop N go traffic. If I can manage anywhere near 600 miles to a full tank I'll be really pleased. So far it seems to be pretty similar to my 06 Jetta in terms of MPG.

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Just an FYI, the tank will drop faster on the second half of the tank. Approximately the first 100 miles does not affect the gauge. It's linear after it comes off full. There was a great analysis done in the past, but the link to his data is gone.

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
My first fill-up this morning shows a full tank at 38 MPG. (528 miles @ 13.9 gallons). I was hoping for a little better than that, but the first 125 miles or so was with trashed winter tires on it, and that was also with a small amount of old fuel in there (maybe 1/8 tank). I'd say 65% city-ish driving.

I now have four new tires on and will be filling up tomorrow again after a full tank at about 95% highway driving. See if I can crack 40 MPG.:D