2004 Jetta TDI BEW auto - 09A - transmission fluid

StevenT

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS TDI Automatic, 2011 Jetta TDI 6 Spd. Manual. Malone Stage 2
Currently the car has a 192K miles on her. At 155K Miles New solenoid set were installed in the tranny. Last 15K miles When the car is cold, It will not fully engage Drive untill it warms up.

I tried draining 3.5ls and filling Mobil 1 ATF. Major improvement. I'm thinking of repeating this procedure, so I have mostly new fresh fluid in the tranny.

Any thoughts of pros or cons?

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
I too put the Mobil 1 ATF in my 09A and have had no problems with it.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
I did the solenoids on mine, after installing they were a bit sticky still, but that's because I over torqued the solenoids by a pound or two. One day I'll go in there and fix it.... That harness sucks to move though. As for flushing, if the fluid looked OK coming out, I wouldn't worry about flushing it again for another 25k miles at least.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
I did the solenoids on mine, after installing they were a bit sticky still, but that's because I over torqued the solenoids by a pound or two. One day I'll go in there and fix it.... That harness sucks to move though. As for flushing, if the fluid looked OK coming out, I wouldn't worry about flushing it again for another 25k miles at least.
Drain/refill of 3-3.5 qts isn't a full "flush" or fluid exchange. When I had contaminated fluid from the cooler/heat exchanger in the 1.8T 09A it took about a dozen or so changes to get the fluid back to "normal".
For just maintainence changing a couple will probably get enough fluid replaced/exchanged to do the job, especially if you plan to continue to do so at some future interval(s).

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Exactly. I use "trans flush" loosely. If fluid looks good, you'll be fine with a simple dump and refill. If it looks trashed, get lots of fluid :)

StevenT

Veteran Member
TDI
Exactly. I use "trans flush" loosely. If fluid looks good, you'll be fine with a simple dump and refill. If it looks trashed, get lots of fluid :)
The old Fluid was very brown.
There was no burn smell. :D

CtG

TDI
2002 Jetta 5-spd Sedan
3 times is probably plenty if it's just dark but not foul smelling.

StevenT

Veteran Member
TDI
How many miles between drains would you recommend?

CtG

TDI
2002 Jetta 5-spd Sedan
30k miles isn't a bad interval for a single drain and fill.

shak911

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI-372000KM
What ATF to use on 09A transmission.

I too put the Mobil 1 ATF in my 09A and have had no problems with it.
is it Mobil 1 ATF Mercon V, or just Mobil 1 ATF ? and who sells it ? Please let me know, I am trying to top up, as I lost some due seepage and experiencing rough shifting with 00351 VCDS code, please anyone who knows what brand ATF to use, please post back.

StevenT

Veteran Member
TDI
is it Mobil 1 ATF Mercon V, or just Mobil 1 ATF ? and who sells it ? Please let me know, I am trying to top up, as I lost some due seepage and experiencing rough shifting with 00351 VCDS code, please anyone who knows what brand ATF to use, please post back.
I used Mobil 1 ATF from Amazon. I noticed a lot of guys here had good results from it. I only did one flush, replaced 3.5 quarts and I noticed much improvement in cold tranny performance and shifting. I'm going to do 2 more flushes this week. Link where I purchased.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009IE2R0U/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I didn't have any leaks. The Fluid had 192K miles on it.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
Had good results with the Valvoline MaxLife Multi Vehicle Dex/Merc;Mercon LV synthetic fluid. The 09A isn't real fussy about fluid brand(s). The transmission is made by JATCO and used in several make vehicles.

shak911

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI-372000KM
Had good results with the Valvoline MaxLife Multi Vehicle Dex/Merc;Mercon LV synthetic fluid. The 09A isn't real fussy about fluid brand(s). The transmission is made by JATCO and used in several make vehicles.
thanks StevenT and Jettawreck, I went with the Valvoline, $21/gallon. at Advance Auto on Sale.