www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVII-Mk7 Golf family including Golf Wagon (~ 2015 +)

VW MKVII-Mk7 Golf family including Golf Wagon (~ 2015 +) Discussions area for the Mk7 (2015+) Golf and Golf Wagon TDIs based on the MQB (Modularer Querbaukasten) platform.

Old May 4th, 2019, 15:33   #1
acsomay

Question Kessy/Keyless entry key programming/pairing

Hi,
I have two 2015 Golf SELs. Both of they have keyless entry (KESSY) and push to start. The first one is a hatchback that we purchased brand new with 2 sets of keys. The second one is a SportWagen that we bought used last year and with only one key
I ordered a new key from the dealer which arrived, but I was wondering if I can get all four keys programmed by the dealer to open both cars, so I would be able to walk up to either of the two cars and open the door. Usually what happens is that I grab the wrong key by accident, or plan to go with my car, but I need something out of my wife's car, but don't have her key on me. (living in a rental building on the 3rd floor with one car on the streed, the other in the alley, so it's not fun when you don't have the right key on you :P )
I asked the dealer two separate times, but they said it is not possible. But I wouldn't fully trust what they are saying ...
I don't know too much about cars, but I'm in it, and the way the dealer explained it and what I was able to find about this topic here and around the interwebs is the following:
The keys need to be programmed/paired to the car at the dealer, and only the dealer can do this. All keys previously working with the car but not present at the programming will stop working with the car.
I', wondering if this pairing will break the previous pairing of the key with another vehicle, because if not, then one key could be paired with two (or more) cars allowing me to do what I'm trying to do.
In my mind during the pairing/programming of the key they are "telling" the car (car1), that these are the keys you are OK to respond and allow yourself to get opened/started with. It should not stop my other car (car2) to recognize and react/open to the keys it was already programmed/paired with in the factory. As car2 is not "online" it can't know that the keys were paired with another car, unless there are things in the key that are changing during the pairing.
So, does anyone know if this is possible? Paring 2 cars to the same 4 sets of keys?
Thanks!
acsomay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2019, 16:14   #2
ProfBrown
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: In the sig
Default Kessy/Keyless entry key programming/pairing

I have been known to be wrong before, but I donít think this is possible. The remotes are set to a certain frequency to activate the KEESY system in one specific car, with each car having its own frequency. I donít believe the keys are able to transmit two frequencies at the same time, for obvious hacking reasons likely. If they could, then I could make my key open your car door if I had the computer know how.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DON'T TRACK THIS ANYMORE
ProfBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2019, 16:30   #3
Nuje
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 1200km/tank (Mk4); 750km/tank (Mk7)

Cheap solution (because we faced the same thing with our two Mk7s):
https://www.amazon.com/Keyless-Prote...dihnscelwas-20

His ride: 2015 GSW SEL TDI with MIB2, Active Info Display, DSG tune
Her ride: 2016 A3 e-tron

His other ride: 2015 Giant Propel SL Di2
Nuje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2019, 23:22   #4
Spacewalker

TDI(s): 2.0 CR

New key from Dealer order via VIN - must be learn via Dealer or with proper tool (like VVDi2)
if you buy brand new Key (virgin) you can only learn it to car via tool like VVDi2

Immo and Remote (with kessy system) is learn automatic
I retrofit kessy to my car few years ago and did all by myself via VVDI
Old May 14th, 2019, 08:26   #5
acsomay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacewalker View Post
New key from Dealer order via VIN - must be learn via Dealer or with proper tool (like VVDi2)
if you buy brand new Key (virgin) you can only learn it to car via tool like VVDi2

Immo and Remote (with kessy system) is learn automatic
I retrofit kessy to my car few years ago and did all by myself via VVDI
So do you think it is possible for a key to open two cars at the same time? If it is learned to both cars?
acsomay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2019, 13:57   #6
Nuje
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 1200km/tank (Mk4); 750km/tank (Mk7)

I'm gonna say "not a chance". Pretty sure each key has one and only one "memory pairing slot".

His ride: 2015 GSW SEL TDI with MIB2, Active Info Display, DSG tune
Her ride: 2016 A3 e-tron

His other ride: 2015 Giant Propel SL Di2
Nuje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2019, 08:58   #7
Spacewalker

TDI(s): 2.0 CR

Quote:
Originally Posted by acsomay View Post
So do you think it is possible for a key to open two cars at the same time? If it is learned to both cars?
hmm.... remote - maybe yes
Kessy key - if you transfer immo data (and both have this same)
so 2nd car is like a clone
also I think yes