www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVII-Mk7 Golf family including Golf Wagon (~ 2015 +)

VW MKVII-Mk7 Golf family including Golf Wagon (~ 2015 +) Discussions area for the Mk7 (2015+) Golf and Golf Wagon TDIs based on the MQB (Modularer Querbaukasten) platform.

Old April 15th, 2019, 14:08   #1
autoguru21

Default Question for Golf/Golf Sportwagen Sel Trim Owners

How many fellow tdi members here have a Golf/Golf Sportwagen in Sel trim with the bi-xenon lighting package? I am curious to know if anyone has used vcds to change from nar region to ece coding, i have replacement warranty bi-xenon headlight assemblies.

Since the headlight assemblies were being replaced i had my vw dealer install new Osram Nightbreaker Laser D3S bulbs and i did extensive long coding changes to make
headlights have the nar region disabled and i recoded them to european ece lhd headlight specifications.

Between the new headlight assemblies and bulbs the lights seem to shine further ahead than they ever have since i bought the car two months ago, and now they seem throw a beam much wider than they used to with the original headlight assemblies and now the beam level sits higher than the headlights that were original to the car and throwing afs codes and having issues with the motors and leveling system as well as the trim rings fell off inside the headlight, i also disabled my cornering lights as i no longer need them as a feature because of the significant improvement.

I hardly even need to turn my foglights on anymore now, i'm interested in everyone else's opinion of my changes i have made, and how effective do your stock bi-xenon lights work at night because i have read quite a few complaints about the oem lighting package being a bit sub-par hence why i have done my modifications listed. I look forward to others opinions
autoguru21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2019, 14:20   #2
kdawg89
Veteran Member

I donít know if I understand the question but I have OEM bi xenon lighting and am happy with it. I turned off NAR restrictions but I think that is different than the coding youíve done, I canít tell the difference between the restrictions off vs on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sold:06 Jetta, Darkside GTB1749V turbo, stage 4 malone tuning, 3 bar map, EGR delete, ASV deleted, buzzken catless downpipe, IDParts billet cam
kdawg89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2019, 15:55   #3
Nuje
Veteran Member

Same as kdawg89 here, too. OEM Lighting Package (BiXenons), and I've been very pleased with them. I've modded so that the fogs are always on (replaced with LEDs, mind you), and am never disappointed with light output, even in heavy rain.

His ride: 2015 GSW SEL TDI with MIB2, Active Info Display, DSG tune
Her ride: 2016 A3 e-tron

His other ride: 2015 Giant Propel SL Di2
Nuje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2019, 16:34   #4
kdawg89
Veteran Member

I did the same, fogs to beamtech leds and changed the running lights to the fogs rather than the main HID bulbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sold:06 Jetta, Darkside GTB1749V turbo, stage 4 malone tuning, 3 bar map, EGR delete, ASV deleted, buzzken catless downpipe, IDParts billet cam
kdawg89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2019, 09:19   #5
Biggu
Veteran Member

I also have OEM Bi-Xenon on my car and while I like the lighting output the cutoff line is so blurry and annoying that is has no color. I really want to get another set of OEM housings so I can try and modify it to have a clear cutoff.
Biggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2019, 12:30   #6
Chris Bell
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggu View Post
I also have OEM Bi-Xenon on my car and while I like the lighting output the cutoff line is so blurry and annoying that is has no color. I really want to get another set of OEM housings so I can try and modify it to have a clear cutoff.
Hella and I think Valeo have aftermarket versions of the OE Hella Bi-Xenons. Not sure of any design differences but price should be lower than OE versions.
'96 Passat variant
'99 BMW M3 Cabrio
Chris Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2019, 04:53   #7
CGR
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 52.5/41/38.5

I turned off NAR restrictions and them adjusted them with a screwdriver to where I wanted them. The were too low from the factory, they pointed down in to the road right in front of the car.
2002 Golf 6SP DRW, 293K, RC3Euro, Sprint520's, Boost Guage, Boost Valve, DG Racepipe, Koni Yellow F, Koni Red R, VW GLI SS 2B/2W F, Stock Golf Springs R, Neuspeed 28mm RSB full stiff, Montreal II 16" wheels and Conti Extreme contact DWS 205-55-16. GLI Heated Sport Seats and interior.
2003 Chevy crew cab Duramax. 180k
CGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2019, 05:35   #8
sportwagen3
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuje View Post
Same as kdawg89 here, too. OEM Lighting Package (BiXenons), and I've been very pleased with them. I've modded so that the fogs are always on (replaced with LEDs, mind you), and am never disappointed with light output, even in heavy rain.
What's the color temperature of your fog lights?
sportwagen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2019, 08:53   #9
Nuje
Veteran Member

Color temp is about 5000K - very "white" white. Which yes, I know, isn't what fogs are supposed to be, but if / when I do want yellow fogs at some point in the future, the LEDs came with tinted (yellow - 3000K) sleeves.

I've seen other LEDs, too, where they cycle through different colours (two sets of LEDs on the "bulb").
Turn on - white.
Turn off, then on again - yellow.
Turn off, then on again - white and yellow.
(Or something to that effect)

(Edit: like these.)

His ride: 2015 GSW SEL TDI with MIB2, Active Info Display, DSG tune
Her ride: 2016 A3 e-tron

His other ride: 2015 Giant Propel SL Di2

Last edited by Nuje; April 30th, 2019 at 11:24.
Nuje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2019, 12:25   #10
the_jeep_now

Fuel Economy: 41 MPG

Sorry a bit off topic but what does turning NAR restriction off really do? And what's the coding for it?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Old May 17th, 2019, 15:32   #11
autoguru21

What i've noticed from my own experience disabling the nar restriction and enabling ece coding has allowed my headlights to have more height above 30 mph, the headlights have more bend functionality in tight turns and corners, the light output is significantly better to where i rarely have to turn my fog lights on now, the coding is done through long coding via vcds

55-Xenon Range
Uncheck the box in coding that says North American Region Rules. This enabled me to have tourist mode capability (doesn't activate it) and takes off the restriction of 4 lights on at once.
The Xenon Range controller from NAR to RoW made an interesting change. The headlights will raise ever so slightly at faster speeds which, at least from what I remember, they do not in NAR format.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...1#post87198755
autoguru21 is offline   Reply With Quote