Considering Buying a 2014 Sportwagen Questions

alext91

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI 6MT Pano (Sold), 2015 Golf S 4DR 6MT (Sold), 1999.5 Jetta TDI Tornado Red (Sold)
Yes, I'm going with the brown one! I'm excited to get it! I just worry about leaks causing rust and/or mold growth in the headliner and under the floor carpeting, if it gets that far (which it seems does happen). Not to mention, unsightly headliner damage. It is CPO, so I know they'd have to fix it, but not sure if they would also replace a stained headliner, too. Or anything else damaged as a result of the leak, for that matter. I have asked them to check it before I pick it up and clear the drain lines. We'll see what they say. They didn't want to budge on the DSG service (and it's $500 with them). They claim that it's checked as part of the CPO inspection and since it's not actually due yet, they won't do it.
I wouldn't worry too much about the roof, just keep an eye on it. That's a bummer about the DSG service, oh well. I would say minor price to pay, considering the peace of mind of having a CPO car. Very exciting!

S1C EM

TDI
Jetta Sportwagen
I wouldn't worry too much about the roof, just keep an eye on it. That's a bummer about the DSG service, oh well. I would say minor price to pay, considering the peace of mind of having a CPO car. Very exciting!
Yeah, I'm not too worried about it. I'm going to price out the service at my local dealer, but I may end up using a nearby Euro shop that has a good rep and is right down the street from work (and offers loaner cars!). They are $450 for the DSG service and the girl I spoke with this morning also has a Dieselgate TDi Sportwagen! :D She seems to love it....got pretty excited talking to me about it.

alext91

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI 6MT Pano (Sold), 2015 Golf S 4DR 6MT (Sold), 1999.5 Jetta TDI Tornado Red (Sold)
Yeah, I'm not too worried about it. I'm going to price out the service at my local dealer, but I may end up using a nearby Euro shop that has a good rep and is right down the street from work (and offers loaner cars!). They are $450 for the DSG service and the girl I spoke with this morning also has a Dieselgate TDi Sportwagen! :D She seems to love it....got pretty excited talking to me about it.
Heck yeah! Just make sure that you keep all the records so they don't give you any trouble with warranty. Very exciting, you'll have to post pictures when you pick it up. I really like the brown color. I'm hopefully going to look at a car this weekend as well. Not at a VW dealer and therefore not CPO, but the price is right. We'll see!

S1C EM

TDI
Jetta Sportwagen
Actually just spoke with my local dealer, who is great (and I sold for back in 2000 and 2001....fun fact!), and their DSG service is only $299.95 and the full 40k service including the DSG is $437! Plus, they'll let me use their online oil change coupons toward that service as well, so really $417. That seems like great pricing from the dealer.

S1C EM

TDI
Jetta Sportwagen
Heck yeah! Just make sure that you keep all the records so they don't give you any trouble with warranty. Very exciting, you'll have to post pictures when you pick it up. I really like the brown color. I'm hopefully going to look at a car this weekend as well. Not at a VW dealer and therefore not CPO, but the price is right. We'll see!
I plan to try once I've got her home! And good luck to you! Hope it's what you're expecting and works out!

alext91

Veteran Member
TDI
Actually just spoke with my local dealer, who is great (and I sold for back in 2000 and 2001....fun fact!), and their DSG service is only $299.95 and the full 40k service including the DSG is $437! Plus, they'll let me use their online oil change coupons toward that service as well, so really $417. That seems like great pricing from the dealer.
Wow, that does seem like a good deal!

alext91

Veteran Member
TDI
I plan to try once I've got her home! And good luck to you! Hope it's what you're expecting and works out!
Thanks! I hope so too. It seems like the clean 6MT cars are drying up in my area, so hopefully this is a good one!

S1C EM

TDI
Jetta Sportwagen
Wow, that does seem like a good deal!
Oh, and they offer courtesy cars and free tire rotation as well. I might actually be getting to know them better from here on out. :D

And did I mention a brand new, state-of-the-art service facility?:D:D:D

S1C EM

TDI
Jetta Sportwagen
Thanks! I hope so too. It seems like the clean 6MT cars are drying up in my area, so hopefully this is a good one!

Yes, those will go quite fast. The 6MT is still the pure driver's option. Unfortunately, I suck at sticks and spend a decent amount of time in some heavy traffic (it's getting near Atlanta). About 22 miles of my daily commute to work is clear sailing highway. The last 3 miles sucks butt.:D

alext91

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes, those will go quite fast. The 6MT is still the pure driver's option. Unfortunately, I suck at sticks and spend a decent amount of time in some heavy traffic (it's getting near Atlanta). About 22 miles of my daily commute to work is clear sailing highway. The last 3 miles sucks butt.:D
Yeah, that's a bummer. As far as automatics go, I think that DSG is about as good as it gets though. They're admittedly pretty nice, I just personally prefer a manual.

S1C EM

TDI
Jetta Sportwagen
Yeah, that's a bummer. As far as automatics go, I think that DSG is about as good as it gets though. They're admittedly pretty nice, I just personally prefer a manual.
Yes, the DSG is a little different. Yesterday was my first experience with it, but it's not really that bad. You have to anticipate the half-second needed for the tranny to engage when making quick darts into traffic or across intersections. Other than that, I think it's not terribly different than a normal auto.

I certainly understand the preference for a manual. I'm just too lazy to push that envelope and too old to want to learn what I don't know now. :)

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
Yes, the DSG is a little different. Yesterday was my first experience with it, but it's not really that bad. You have to anticipate the half-second needed for the tranny to engage when making quick darts into traffic or across intersections. Other than that, I think it's not terribly different than a normal auto.
I certainly understand the preference for a manual. I'm just too lazy to push that envelope and too old to want to learn what I don't know now. :)
I find that, if you've been driving stick your whole life, just letting muscle memory take over the right foot regarding that half-second engagement works best because it's about the same or less time compared to lifting one's left foot off the clutch pedal.

It seems when I drive it like a clutch in my head (in terms of the timing) then nearly all the criticisms I read on the forum dissolve. That was true when I only had a DSG to compare to a manual but it's even more apparent now that we have an actual automatic in the family for the first time in my life with the Touareg. If you drive it like an auto, it's going to feel laggy/lurchy/slow to engage the gears and disappointingly mimic the always engaged torque converter feeling. If you drive it like a manual (and I don't mean by switching it over to M; I'm referring to the timing in your mind/expected behavior), however, the gears engage quicker than a standard.

Last edited:

alext91

Veteran Member
TDI
So the car I went to look at this morning that had sat on the lot since July of last year sold just last night! I went to my two local VW dealers to scope out what they had. One had no manuals left, and the other has one that I'm considering. It's a 2013 with pano roof 6MT and 45k miles. They want 13,700 and it is certified. Price is about average for what it is. I had one dealer check the Nationwide TDI availability and there are only 7 JSWs Nationwide and none of them are manuals. This 2013 is from Mass and has a small amount of rust on suspension components and fasteners. I'm going to try to attach photos. I'm unsure if I should go for it or hold out for something that may not come along? Thoughts people?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk