Turbo seals, covered under warranty?

add1son

TDI
2009 Sportwagen
I lost about 1qt oil over 3k miles, for the first 130k never had an oil use issue.
My mechanic has diagnosed the problem and is saying the Turbo seals are going and the turbo needs to be replaced.

I've called my local dealership and they indicated it likely will not be covered because "oil consumption is normal" and "it has to be related to emissions." and if it was the CEL would be on. The warranty coverage doesn't say have this language.

Its my opinion that this should be covered and I really don't want to have to fight the whole way. Anyone have any similar issues with warranty coverage?

drsven

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI 6-Speed
Doubtful VW will provide any sort of goodwill or coverage simply based on an independent mechanic’s findings. A good first step would be to have a VW dealer diagnose the oil consumption issue.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
First off, your turbo doesn't have "seals" in it. The impeller shaft rides on a cushion of oil. Usually turbos lose oil because of differential pressure between the compressor (cold) and turbine (hot) side of the turbo. That can happen if, for example, back pressure increases because your DPF is getting clogged or the EGR filter case is cracked. You may want to have those items inspected (the DPF they can check at the dealer with their diagnostic too).

I'd also keep an eye on the oil and see if you use another quart in the next 3,000 miles. You may find you don't. If the turbo does need replacement it's covered under the extended warranty for the fix, assuming you had that completed.

add1son

TDI
2009 Sportwagen
First off, your turbo doesn't have "seals" in it. The impeller shaft rides on a cushion of oil. Usually turbos lose oil because of differential pressure between the compressor (cold) and turbine (hot) side of the turbo. That can happen if, for example, back pressure increases because your DPF is getting clogged or the EGR filter case is cracked. You may want to have those items inspected (the DPF they can check at the dealer with their diagnostic too).

I'd also keep an eye on the oil and see if you use another quart in the next 3,000 miles. You may find you don't. If the turbo does need replacement it's covered under the extended warranty for the fix, assuming you had that completed.

Thanks for the insight as to the "seals" and possible causes. I just fear taking it into VW and having them tell me its normal and/or they won't cover it, and I'm on the hook for a diagnosis fee. My initial phone call with service did not provide a reason for optimism in that regard. I'll keep an eye on it through the next oil change per your suggestion.