www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVII-Mk7 Golf family including Golf Wagon (~ 2015 +)

VW MKVII-Mk7 Golf family including Golf Wagon (~ 2015 +) Discussions area for the Mk7 (2015+) Golf and Golf Wagon TDIs based on the MQB (Modularer Querbaukasten) platform.

Old January 11th, 2018, 08:32   #16
Grigg3
Veteran Member

What may be happening is they’re trying to mesh tooth to tooth, and need to rotate one gear or the other so they present tooth to between teeth, so they will mesh.
Old January 11th, 2018, 08:55   #17
740GLE
Veteran Member

How about a Dogbone mount insert? I don't have a thread but I've enjoyed my 034 insert on my Alltrack, even with the DSG I noticed an improvement of stop and go traffic and DSG engagement.

No noticeable NVH increase other than at idle with AC on. Worth the $45 bucks.
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2018, 13:37   #18
adjat84th
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ~50 in mixed driving

Quote:
Originally Posted by 740GLE View Post
How about a Dogbone mount insert? I don't have a thread but I've enjoyed my 034 insert on my Alltrack, even with the DSG I noticed an improvement of stop and go traffic and DSG engagement.

No noticeable NVH increase other than at idle with AC on. Worth the $45 bucks.
Good to know! With our recent cold snap here, I had three days where my commute was between 8F-12F in the early mornings. My 6spd does not like the cold weather at all. Was even sticking in gear when trying to get to neutral. Above 30F and it's buttery smooth.

'01 Jetta | 17/22, 3bar MAP, 11mm IP/Lift pump, PD 150, OMI, FMIC, PP502s, SBC st3, .685 5th, Malone Stage 5
'15 Golf | GTD1752vrk, 4bar MAP, CP3, Peloquin LSD, Sachs SRE w/DMF, Fluidampr
adjat84th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2018, 08:27   #19
Grigg3
Veteran Member

Jack pads, OEM parts
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread...77#post5349377
Old February 15th, 2018, 11:18   #20
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Just added Full-size spare tire with subwoofer to the DIY list.
Old March 11th, 2018, 21:04   #21
neimis
Veteran Member

Default Throttle Response Mod

Wow, this throttle response mod is great - it's really changed the way I feel about the car. I might even not chip it after this.

The throttle response on these cars is really wacky, and very frustrating to live with. The first 1/2 inch of travel is fine, but the next 1/2 inch does nothing. Then, after that, it kicks in again. I absolutely hated that.

Today on the Mk7 forum I was introduced to a throttle mod http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showth...rottle&page=68 (post 1155) that addresses this situation. I've only taken the car for a short test drive so far, but it seems to have tremendously improved the response - it is much more linear now.

Throttle Response Mod:
Open VCDS / Select / 44 - Steering Assist / Security Access / 19249 / Do It / OK / Adaptation / Channel (drop down menu) / Driving Profile Switchover / New Value (drop down menu) / Direct: Controlled over Threshold Value (original was Gradual, controlled by Time) / Do It / Yes / OK / Go Back / close, go back etc.

It would be great to know how this works for anyone else.

Last edited by neimis; March 12th, 2018 at 00:21.
neimis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2018, 16:37   #22
dwu.048

Fuel Economy: 6.0L/100km

Quote:
Originally Posted by neimis View Post
Wow, this throttle response mod is great - it's really changed the way I feel about the car. I might even not chip it after this.

The throttle response on these cars is really wacky, and very frustrating to live with. The first 1/2 inch of travel is fine, but the next 1/2 inch does nothing. Then, after that, it kicks in again. I absolutely hated that.

Today on the Mk7 forum I was introduced to a throttle mod http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showth...rottle&page=68 (post 1155) that addresses this situation. I've only taken the car for a short test drive so far, but it seems to have tremendously improved the response - it is much more linear now.

Throttle Response Mod:
Open VCDS / Select / 44 - Steering Assist / Security Access / 19249 / Do It / OK / Adaptation / Channel (drop down menu) / Driving Profile Switchover / New Value (drop down menu) / Direct: Controlled over Threshold Value (original was Gradual, controlled by Time) / Do It / Yes / OK / Go Back / close, go back etc.

Holy smokes. Big difference. Very responsive.
dwu.048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2018, 10:04   #23
740GLE
Veteran Member

Quote:

Throttle Response Mod:

I may have to try this on the TSI, wonder if it will have the same effect.
Old March 16th, 2018, 11:29   #24
neimis
Veteran Member

Quote:
I may have to try this on the TSI, wonder if it will have the same effect.
This was suggested to me by an owner of a GTI, so chances are good that it will work for you.

(But, I have a manual transmission, so I don't know how it affects a DSG)
neimis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2018, 16:08   #25
740GLE
Veteran Member

She worked, very happy almost feels like a tune
Old March 17th, 2018, 17:24   #26
RHN

Thanks for sharing this. Its awesome!
I got my 2015 GSW in late January this year (previously had a Golf MK4 ALH) I like it (the GSW) but couldn't quite put my finger on why its power delivery was the way it was.

This is the way it should of been from day one.

Thanks again,

Rick

Quote:

Throttle Response Mod:

Old March 20th, 2018, 14:03   #27
Darth_Furious
Veteran Member

Quote:
She worked, very happy almost feels like a tune
I have the kerma tune and just did this. I notice it is more responsive and feel the power come on earlier. It is a nice (free) addition.

When I give it a little, I feel it want to push harder but the rpms are too low. Not quite lugging but a slight feel of it. If I keep it in S mode on the dsg or at 2k in manual, the power is definitely noticeable there

It's too bad this is buried in a DIY thread where it can easy get missed. It should be It's own thread or a sticky

EDIT: after driving a for while I figured out what I like about it. I heard friends say my car has bad turbo lag. Maybe it was this setting. It feels like that "turbo lag" feeling is gone. Car feels great now.

Last edited by Darth_Furious; March 20th, 2018 at 17:23.
Darth_Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2018, 08:24   #28
740GLE
Veteran Member

Reviews of the Alltrack left and right claim "turbo lag" as well, but how tiny the IS12 is and how quick it runs out of breath above 4K, that's impossible. The biggest thing for me since day one with the Alltrack was you just kept increasing pressure on the peddle wanting pull but no major change until you get a double downshift and then it pulls.

After coding change, I beg anyone to state it has the feel of turbo lag. Love the feeling zipping around parking lots and stop and go traffic. Sadly the MPG will reflect the change.

I gotta try this coding change on the '15 Passat now, see if that has the same Mk7 controler.

Last edited by 740GLE; March 21st, 2018 at 08:27.
Old March 21st, 2018, 09:23   #29
Blue_Hen_TDI
Veteran Member

Thanks for the throttle tweak. I'll try it out after the snow stops.

There's also a popular VCDS tweak on GTIs and Rs for reducing something called "starting vibration reduction", but I doubt that applies to a low-power car like a TDI (dodges tomatoes ): Enter ABS controller, select adaptions, select "starting vibration reduction" from the drop-down menu, change the value from Strong to Deactivated. Thread here: http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21888

2011 BMW 335d - JR 2.8
Blue_Hen_TDI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2018, 12:42   #30
Darth_Furious
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_Hen_TDI View Post
There's also a popular VCDS tweak on GTIs and Rs for reducing something called "starting vibration reduction", but I doubt that applies to a low-power car like a TDI (dodges tomatoes ): Enter ABS controller, select adaptions, select "starting vibration reduction" from the drop-down menu, change the value from Strong to Deactivated. Thread here: http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21888
Give Mjolnir to Blue Hen cause this one is worthy. If you look at the vcds code, it says torque reduction, which would apply to TDIs even more than GTIs. People always say the sportwagen can really pull at 3 & 4th gear. This is why. Power is cut in earlier gears unless you do this mod. Now 1 & 2 nd gear feel great.

I know my Kerma TDI gets maybe 280-300lbs torque on paper but it never felt like I experienced it driving around. It must have been limited by this and also by the gradual throttle from above.

These 2 mods combine nicely to give it lots of throttle early on and not be limited. Compared to a week ago, it feels like I went from stage 1 (to dare say) stage 2, or maybe 1.75.

You have to also disable traction control to remove another power limiter. Unfortunately the power is too much for my tires and lots of chirping.

EDIT:After driving around a little, I notice it starting at 3/4 throttle. For daily driving, I dont push it hard enough to notice. I was almost hit by a car and I floored it to get away. Whether these mods made a difference or not, I felt more confident and felt more power. At 75% throttle, it shakes under the hood. I see the reason it came this way from factory. I prefer getting full power because sometimes need it.

An analogy would be: It feels like the volume can now go up to 13 or 14 instead of 10. The sound distorts and you usually don't take it to that level but sometimes you want to have fun or sometimes you need it so its nice to have.

Last edited by Darth_Furious; March 21st, 2018 at 13:17.
Darth_Furious is offline   Reply With Quote