www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVII-Mk7 Golf family including Golf Wagon (~ 2015 +)

VW MKVII-Mk7 Golf family including Golf Wagon (~ 2015 +) Discussions area for the Mk7 (2015+) Golf and Golf Wagon TDIs based on the MQB (Modularer Querbaukasten) platform.

Old December 19th, 2017, 18:32   #46
marcusku
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 56/52/48

I tried with no luck, I also had a bad battery and had to go to more than one dealer to get them to warrantee that.

I know another fellow on the site replaced the valve himself but unfortunately it didn't seem to have solved the problem. There's a number of people having the same issue. There must be a solution, just a matter of finding it.
Old December 29th, 2017, 20:23   #47
1945GPW

I've been busy the last few weeks so haven't been able to report back. Unfortunately the oil control valve didn't fix my long cranks. I'm still having them just like before. I'm at a loss on what it could be, Back to the drawing board I guess.
1945GPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2017, 15:53   #48
sands80
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 46.4mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1945GPW View Post
I've been busy the last few weeks so haven't been able to report back. Unfortunately the oil control valve didn't fix my long cranks. I'm still having them just like before. I'm at a loss on what it could be, Back to the drawing board I guess.
Thanks for the update- but this news has depressed me. I was looking forward to the spring to get the fix done. Didn't the guy in the video say it fixed his long start?
sands80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2018, 18:20   #49
GreenLantern_TDI
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Mid 40s

Has anyone found a reliable cure to this issue? I had about a 7 second crank before fire today. Most ive seen before was 2-3 seconds once or twice in the past 4 months of ownership.
Old March 5th, 2018, 20:26   #50
sportwagen3
Veteran Member

I also noticed this happening with my car recently over the past month. Sometimes it cranks for a couple of seconds before it starts. I did notice the longest crank happened when I left my car in my garage for over 36 hours without driving. Typically drive my car everyday. Maybe that might have something to do with it.
sportwagen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2018, 08:09   #51
Demo3
Veteran Member

Me too, had my 2015 GSW about a month now... had this happen a few times. Don't remember the temperatures.
Old March 6th, 2018, 10:45   #52
KERMA

Under certain cold-start conditions, these cars have a provision to purge the air out of the HPFP prior to allowing the fuel to pressurize. Apparently the CP4 are a lot more sensitive to damage air causing them to run dry. So under certain conditions the rail pressure regulator valve opens for a few seconds on a cold startup to make sure the HPFP is properly primed to avoid damage from air in the pump.
No, no, you're not thinking; you're just being logical. - Neils Bohr
KERMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2018, 10:57   #53
KERMA

In a CP3 or CP4 system, a deflation of the low or high pressure stage may be necessary if the vehicle was driven on an empty tank, or after the engine is started for the first time. In a CP3 system the air is shifted by the presupply pump through the metering unit. It then reaches the fuel pump again through the zero delivery throttle. This may result in long starting times or the engine not starting. In CP4 systems a deflation of the high pressure stage by opening the PCV may be necessary under certain circumstances. Deflation of the high pressure stage will become active, if at a starter speed the rail pressure does not exceed a pressure threshold even after a certain time.
Old March 7th, 2018, 03:12   #54
marcusku
Veteran Member

On mine I've observed it seems to only happen during cold starts during the warm months of the year. I had the long crank half a dozen times last summer but since temperatures have been less than 40 it starts right up. Have others observed this? When it's cold out mine starts impressively fast.
Old March 7th, 2018, 06:34   #55
sands80
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 46.4mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusku View Post
On mine I've observed it seems to only happen during cold starts during the warm months of the year. I had the long crank half a dozen times last summer but since temperatures have been less than 40 it starts right up. Have others observed this? When it's cold out mine starts impressively fast.

^^This^^^
sands80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2018, 19:30   #56
jonferns
Veteran Member

TDI(s): '15 Golf

The few times I've experienced this, the car had sat in the garage overnight. But this past weekend, it sat outside overnight and temps were in the mid to low 20's, which resulted in a 4-5 second long crank in the morning. Curious what is causing this...
'06 Jetta TDI - 220k, DSG
jonferns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2018, 20:16   #57
KERMA

the long cranking is a safety mechanism for the HPFP. This is what VW changed in response to the early 1st gen failures in HPFP. It is a programming routine in the ECU.

It works like this:
After a revolution or two the rail pressure is not at spec, this indicates air in the HPFP.

the ECU then vents the rail until the model calculations say the air should be purged.
Then the PCV closes again and the car is allowed to start.

This process is called "deflation" and it is intended to help prevent the rash of early failures seen in the 1st gen HPFP.
Old March 29th, 2018, 04:01   #58
GreenLantern_TDI
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Mid 40s

So as long as it has a good battery so it can crank and finally start all is well.....
Old April 4th, 2018, 03:20   #59
marcusku
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KERMA View Post
the long cranking is a safety mechanism for the HPFP. This is what VW changed in response to the early 1st gen failures in HPFP. It is a programming routine in the ECU.

It works like this:
After a revolution or two the rail pressure is not at spec, this indicates air in the HPFP.

the ECU then vents the rail until the model calculations say the air should be purged.
Then the PCV closes again and the car is allowed to start.

This process is called "deflation" and it is intended to help prevent the rash of early failures seen in the 1st gen HPFP.
I'm not sure this is the cause, at least on my car as it seems to only happen when the engine is at a certain temperature--somewhere in the 60 degree neighborhood. I'll have to take closer note when it happens in the future. I never once had the long crank starting it cold over the winter but yesterday it cranked a little longer than usual after it was hot but then sat outside for about 3 hours when the air temp was around 30. Just guessing but I'm thinking the engine cooled off to that 60 degree range during that time.
Old April 30th, 2018, 06:12   #60
Victor Huge
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Mk7 Golf TDI

I had the same issue recently, it was quite a long crank followed by an instant start. I'm going to check fuel pressure before start tomorrow morning, it seems with 1700hpa that it starts right up. Will see if it's lower than that tomorrow...
Victor Huge is offline   Reply With Quote