TDI-S10 Swap

TDI-S10

TDI
1Z/AHU
Hi Everyone,

Another swap build going on but this one is a little different than most.

Some background on the vehicle.

1Z TDI from a 1996 Passat. The motor was overhauled and rebuilt.

The wire harness was cut down to a standalone harness by FAST FORWARD AUTOMOTIVE out of Canada. With 3bar map sensor and MK4 petal swap included.

Tuned with Malone Stage 4 Tuning
VNT 17 Garret Turbo
Bosio 520 Race Injectors

All to be installed into a 1989 Chevy S10. Bolted to a 2wd Toyota transmission. All is installed and it looks amazing sitting in the Chevy engine bay. Yesterday was the first start up. I had VAG COM plunged in to watch coolant temperature and engine RPM while it ran for the brake in period.

The engine turned over and fired in a matter of a few revolutions. After a quick scan of gauges to make sure I had oil pressure I noticed the RPMs were not going lower than 1200 and I had no throttle response as well as the Glow plug light was flashing.

So I turned the engine off.

Scanned for codes and found the following.

01268 Quantity Adjuster (N146)
18-00 - Upper Limit

00777 Accelerator Position Sensor (G79)
27-10 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent

On further scans with VAG COM I found that my Throttle position would read 7.5 with the paddle at rest and 100% when pressed to the floor.

I have been on the variety of forum sights the last 24 hours and have found minimal information that changed the situation I’m in.

Any help deciphering what’s going on would be great, Thanks.

-Dan

Last edited:

Hasenwerk

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
1982 Cabriolet (BEW|VNT17|Stage4), 1989 VW TriStar Syncro soon-to-be CR TDI (CBEA), 2001 Ford Ranger Edge 4x4 (ALH|VNT17|R520|Stage4)
Hey Dan,
Thanks for the email yesterday. I'll post the solution here in case anyone else has an issue like this. Your accelerator pedal must have "DIESEL" written on it. If it doesn't, it is a gasoline pedal and it won't work with the TDI and you will have the symptoms like you have listed here.

specialed1995

TDI
1Z 1.9 TDI from 1996 B4 Passat
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the pedal assemblies for the gas and diesel pedals are the same, but the side circuit board where the connector plugs in and the contacts ride is different?

The reason I asked is because for my swap I'm using the pedal assembly with the metal pedal (which was for a gas engine) because I don't like the way the plastic one looks (the one for the diesels), and I just switched the side panels on them. I am still in the process of building my conversion, so I don't know if it will work, just wondering if anyone else has come across this?

In response to this thread, I really love the old square body S10's and think this swap is an amazing idea, can't wait for some pictures.