++ 2011 JSW 6MT Build ++

amstel78

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI [buyback completed 14/1/2017] 2006 S65 AMG
Cool cool. Let me know how it pans out with the radio. I've been contemplating replacing my RNS315 with something different for some time, but don't want to lose the steering wheel and MFD integration.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT

amstel78

Veteran Member
TDI
There are some nice aftermarket solutions to integrate the radio & MFD.

Some ideas on what may work...
http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86397

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79991
Thanks for the links ATR. I've heard about the Maestro solution before; seems pretty cool in that you can use a plethora of aftermarket radios and keep MFD and steering wheel integration intact. From what I've read, it'll also work with the stock Dynaudio amp which I want to keep.

Truth be told, the RNS315 and Dynaudio combination in terms of audio are great - especially if you play uncompressed, well mixed source material and leave the EQ flat. I don't even miss the fact that a sub is missing; the audio is very well balanced and I don't want to fudge that up if I go aftermarket.

My gripe with the RNS315 is the small LCD screen and the level of map detail for the GPS. Otherwise, the radio is a good performer and is quick, at least compared to the RNS510 which I've heard has a slow interface.

Sorry for threadjacking Evol... ;)

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Thanks for the links ATR. I've heard about the Maestro solution before; seems pretty cool in that you can use a plethora of aftermarket radios and keep MFD and steering wheel integration intact. From what I've read, it'll also work with the stock Dynaudio amp which I want to keep.

Truth be told, the RNS315 and Dynaudio combination in terms of audio are great - especially if you play uncompressed, well mixed source material and leave the EQ flat. I don't even miss the fact that a sub is missing; the audio is very well balanced and I don't want to fudge that up if I go aftermarket.

My gripe with the RNS315 is the small LCD screen and the level of map detail for the GPS. Otherwise, the radio is a good performer and is quick, at least compared to the RNS510 which I've heard has a slow interface.

Sorry for threadjacking Evol... ;)
Evol, don't mean to jack the thread either. Just want to help out follow owners :cool:

I have the same sound system & speakers. I found that the best eq settings were more like -2 for bass +3 for mids and -4 or 5 for highs. I very rarely miss having a sub! That comes from having my last car with a $4500 system that was tuned for SQ.

I might upgrade in the future. More then likely just a head unit as there are several small issues including the tiny screen that I'm not a fan of. I'm eagerly awaiting to see how the DNS811 works out for evol for that very reason :D

amstel78

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes, the Dynaudio setup can be a bit bright, but a lot of it depends on the source material.

Anyway if the DNS811 is plug and play without needing an additional device to interface with the amp and CANBUS, I'm all for it. Waiting as well for Evol's report.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

evolDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6MT (and several others in the past)
I'm hoping to get the DNS811 installed in the next couple weeks. If I can squeek it in this weekend that would be great but got a lot going on.

Should be having Hankook Ventus S1 Noble2's (225-40) installed on my Hartmann RS4 18x8's April 7th.
https://youtu.be/vyDHuSR7N5s
https://youtu.be/Rfqx3-I9q7o

Couldnt pass up this deal either: $209, free shipping for a set of H&R Sport Springs from ECS Spring Sale.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Jetta_V--2.5/ES4942/
I had these on my mkv Stage 1+ and was very impressed with the ballance of increased performance/response but not so crazy as to be rubbing all the time or needing a neck brace for a daily driver. For years now, I told myself I had to do them on my next build because of how happy I was with them on the mkv. They will get installed the day after the tires, April 8th. And then I'm hoping for an alignment later that week once everything settles.

I think this will mark the first time I've ever done a diesel build and started with other items besides tuning, exhaust, and intake. It wasn't intentional but I'm good with it ;).

Lastly, this is just some random inspiration I found this week. I'll probably start forum stalking this member ("Sqc146" or "MIVWTDI") as I heard from his buddy this is a CR170 Stage 3 build (and "looks" the part... definitely no sleeper):

Paulinski

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta Wagon Highline
I have H&R springs on my wagon stock rest 65k on her.

They ride kind of harsh what was a surprise it was a lot harsher with 16" stock rims with winters on, swapped in my summers 18" Bathurst with DWS conti on em.

I'm going to install Bilsteins this year.

evolDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
I have H&R springs on my wagon stock rest 65k on her.

They ride kind of harsh what was a surprise it was a lot harsher with 16" stock rims with winters on, swapped in my summers 18" Bathurst with DWS conti on em.

I'm going to install Bilsteins this year.
Yeah, I'm comin up on 72K, myself. Probably do struts after I abuse the stock ones a while longer.

Interesting that they rode harsher with 16's over 18's. Must be a spring rate ballancing issue. My previous experience with them was on 18's only.

Truth be told, I could go either way with 17's or 18's, but never 16's. I think once you go 16's the aesthetics really drop off (for me, anyway).

I'll also comment that the H&R engineering team in Washington is awesome to deal with. My first set of springs I got for free when I bought a set of wheels from a guy who had moved on to air ride. The springs were part number for the golf mkv; I had the jetta mvk. I simply phoned H&R direct, they patched me straight through to an engineer who confirmed the springs would work and I should expect to see less than a .1" variance in the rear over the 1.4" drop spec'd. Sure enough the car came out pretty much level, no rake either way and handled awesome.

relegate

TDI
2014 Sportwagen
Sounds like the route I went but I did the neuspeed wagen springs. I guess they aren't quite as low which was recommended as I have kids and crap in my wagon all of the time.

Our family, car loaded with top box heading to Tahoe it was great.

evolDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
Sounds like the route I went...
I was just looking at your forum signature and sounds real similar to where I'm headed. Same wheel and tire size, springs, 27mm RSB. I don't know about you but I LOVE the RSB. It makes those tires work so hard! I have a box full of German Diesel Motorwerks exhaust ready for Stage 2. I'm anxious to get it done but I need to save up a lot more money for that step. I'm figuring on about $1,300. I should get a quote from my shop on Wed.

Fantasiamon

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta Sportwagen 2.0L TDI
Sub'ed. And curious about the radio upgrade as well. I'm sure you will keep us posted though. Hi Evol!

(Seeing your build thread here makes me think maybe I should copy my build thread over here as well from Vortex and show the fellowTDI peeps some love.)

Sent using TapaTapaTalkeeTalk

evolDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
Wheels and suspension finished:

Wheels - Hartmann rs4 replicas 18x8, satin black
Tires - Hankook Ventus S1 Noble 2 225-40
Springs - H&R Sport Springs (PN# 54751)
Reat Sway Bar - Hotchkiss 27mm, stiffest setting

Other updates:
1. Baseline dyno scheduled for 4/17 10:00am
2. I finally got ahold of Sandy Zhang and he sent me his instruction file for the DNS811. When I'm physically capable I'll install that and at least tentatively I plan to do a YouTube video because so many people are interested in it.
3. I put a few things up for sale including my gauge setup I planned to go with because I want a Polar FIS+. If I can't sell the gauges I'm going to install them. They are just too nice not to.

evolDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks, tbarnhart. Took 3 other engineers at lunch today, no rubbing even in hard cornering. Actually one of the guys owns an s5 and was surprised how well it did on a couple turns we're all very familiar with :). It's amazing what some new rubber and a sway bar will do.

evolDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
DNS811 update (just scroll to the bottom of the post for the end result):

The install (initially) was literally less than 5 minutes. You remove the trim surround, 4 torx screws, pull out your OEM stereo and remove 3 cables. Install of the DNS is the reversal of the same steps.

However...

Re-purposing the FAKRA Shark Fin as a GPS antenna did not work for me. So, I just ran the DNS811 GPS antenna all the way up and around to above my rear view mirror, stuck to the windshield. Works great and most would never even notice the small black plastic square all the way up there (I'll probably update this with a picture).

GPS features don't seem to be populated (like nearby gas stations). I'm assuming that just takes time, but I don't know /(slash) can't recall from my time with an ANS810. I am pleased to see the GPS is the same as the ANS810. I was a huge fan of that once I got the hang of it. Lots of great, useful features. So hopefully it maintains all the bells and whistles.

Biggest hangup for me so far is I can't get the DNS811 to work with any of my microSD cards. "BAD CARD" is all it says. I've tried formatting as NTFS and FAT32; no luck either way. I also can't find the USB cable that should have came with it. All I can do for now is burn data CD's. Here's to hoping it's something simple. I'm waiting to hear back from Sandy Zhang.

I paired my phone but didn't do much other than call my wife. The sound quality wasn't nearly as good as the RCD510. And of course you lose all the bluetooth functionality of the MFD.

Well, it's only day 1. As I recall on the ANS810, I was a little bummed at first but the more time I had with it the more I liked it. So far though, I'm failing to see how the DNS811 is an upgrade. It seems just like the ANS810.

Update1:
Radio reception is MUCH improved over the ANS810. I'll give them that ;).

Update2:
Been working on this like 24hrs straight (I get obsessive). I got the latest firmware from SZ and managed to get it loaded on. My microSD media card is working now (yay!). Also, SZ was adamant that I not run iGO for navigation, recommending Sygic instead. Well, I have zero experience with Sygic. I'm in the process of downloading and compiling hacked copies and messing with license keys.

For reference:
Swiped content from here: http://storage.sygic.com/tmp/pnd/Weigao/Drive_85-15f_52429_NAM_2013.09.rar
Editing content.lic file based on this theory: http://www.navitotal.com/sygic-system-f137/sygic-wince-code-dec-2045-any-period-your-liking-t15936.html

Update3:
I couldn't get the Weigao version of Sygic to activate/run. I downloaded the Sygic Assistant application, pointed it to my Weigao version and paid $40 to upgrade the maps to 2015. Then I spent 2 weeks with Sandy Zhang trying to get it activated and running. It was very cryptic to me but good results now :). I need to get proficient with everything so I can take a video that captures all the features I'm using (not many, really). I think most guys would be disappointed with the low level of integration with canbus and MFD.

Last edited:

evolDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
Got to check out BCFP's heavily modified 2009 Stage 2 today.

I'm going to say this might be the most impressive TDI I've seen yet, and this is why:

1. The list of modifications is extensive to say the least. I have it posted at the bottom. Some of my favorites: R32 driver's seat, under door lights, interior LEDs, under seat storage trays, rs5 rep wheels, BBK on the front R32 rear brakes, GTI side skirts with front and rear spoilers (didn't know these fit JSW).

2. He bought it new and now has over 370,000 miles on it! Despite this, it's a Stage 2, rides like its on rails and looks so good. You would never guess it had even a quarter million miles yet alone approaching the 400k mark.

3. I really like his setup. This is a fun daily driver. It's stiff but doesn't rattle your head lose. It's loud but only under WOT. It's not extreme; but just right.

4. Yes, he's had to fix or replace everything you should by now, in some cases more than once, but he's stuck with it and none of it was unreasonable. No pano problems and only 1 HPFP and that was beyond quarter million.

5. If he absolutely had to buy a new car tomorrow. .. it would be a another JSW. That's how much value he sees in these cars.

6. Stage 3 CR170 is a "WHEN" not an "IF". He's pretty much done all the supporting modification required. I can't wait to see it.

Modification List
Exterior Mods:
GTI Front Valance
Osir Front Lip - Gloss Carbon
GLI Side Skirts
Votex Hatch Spoiler
R Line Fog Light Grills
R Line Mirror Caps
Wolfsburg Upper and Lower Mask
Hella Projector Head Lights - 5000K HID
Projector Fog Lights - 3000k HID
Color Matched Side Marker Lights
Smoked Mirror Lenses
Aspherical Side Mirrors - Blue
Tinted Tail Lights
Tinted 3rd Brake Light
Color Matched Rear Reflectors
3M 25% Tint on Passenger Windows, 50% on Windshield, 15% on Pano
Blacked Out Chrome Window Trim
Whispbar S53 Crossbars - Inno Shadow15 box - RockyMounts TieRod x 2
Audi A5 Reps: 18x8 et 35 with Toyo Proxy4 225x40ZR18
H&R Premium Coilovers pretty much all the way down
H&R 28mm Front Swaybar
H&R 24mm Rear Swaybar
StopTech ST-40 328MM BBK front
R32 Rear brakes
Tyrolsport Deadset Subframe kit
Tyrolsport Master Cylinder brace
Whiteline Endlinks front and rear
Whiteline Control arm bushings
Unibrace XB,RB, and UB braces
GoMiniGo Tow Hook Licence Plate Mount

Interior Mods:
Dash Cubby
Dash Shelf
Under Seat Drawer - Passenger
R32 Driver Seat Swap
Complete LED Interior Lighting
Hard Wired GPS
Hard Wired Valentine1 Radar Detector
Hard Wired Compustar Dash Cam
Dynamat Installed in All Doors, Trunk, and Hatch
Euro Headlight Switch
ECS Titanium Pedal Set w/Dead Pedal
Chrome window switches
LED Door lights

Stereo:
Front Doors:
Hybrid Audio Legatia L6 Midbass
Hybrid Audio Legatia SE4 Driver
Hybrid Audio Legatia L1V2 Tweeters
Hybrid Audio Legatia L2x Crossover - Mounted in Trunk
Rear Doors:
Hybrid Audio Clarus 5.25 Midbass
Hybrid Audio Clarus C1 Tweeter
Hybrid Audio Clarus Crossover
Trunk:
Memphis Audio Reference Subwoofers 12" x 2
Alpine PDX M6 600w Mono Amp for Subwoofers
Alpine PDX F4 400w 4 Channel Amp for Door Speakers
Head Unit:
Alpine INA-W900
Audison BIT10 Signal processor
Alpine Rear View Camera
Bass Gain Knob and Aux Input Mounted in Blank Button Slots in Front of Shifter
Phone Mic Installed at top of Driver A Pillar
CompuStar Alarm with Remote Start and DroneMobile

VagCom Mods:
DRL off
Euro Gauge Cluster
All "Ding" Noises Removed
Remote Windows
Seatbelt Reminder Off
Parking Lights at 30%

Engine Mods:
AFE Cold Air Intake
Strait Pipe Exhaust
Spint Booster Power Controler
Malone Stage2 Tune
Malone DSG Tune
DPF Delete
EGR Delete
42 Draft Designs Catch can
S3 Intercooler
Blockheater

evolDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
Stage 2 Flash scheduled for 5/28.
Exhaust, EGR delete, and gauges scheduled for 5/29.
... I suppose I should schedule a 'drive' for 5/30 :D.

evolDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
DNS811 UPDATE:

Took about a month to get Sygic activated and using my 2015 maps ($40).

evolDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
How are you liking the 811 so far?
SQ? Radio reception compared to stock? does it do HD radio?
Honestly, I need some more time with it. It was very frustrating in beginning, but it's getting better as all the kinks get ironed out. GPS took a L-O-N-G time. Radio reception is just as good as the RCD-510 I had. Not sure about HD radio. It's louder; sounds better, and faster than the RCD. Video works well. I was watching an mp4 of Lone Survivor the other day.

amstel78

Veteran Member
TDI
Would you be so kind as to detail what steps you had to take to get the radio to work? I'm interested in swapping over but wish to retain GPS, BT, and steering wheel controls. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

evolDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
Well, first off, I got a deal on a used unit from a forum member who sold his VW before he got around to installing the DNS811. You would be better off buying it from Sandy Zhang to begin with. I actually paid SZ for tech support, because I needed it so badly.

Previous owner loaded iGo for nav on the DNS811. Apparently that caused a lot of problems. The system kept locking up, wouldn't turn on, wouldn't eject a CD, and would struggle to recognize any media SD card.

We started by upgrading the firmware. Then upgraded the canbus and cleared iGo from the GPS card. Now I had a stable unit, microSD's and CD working, but no nav.

I read that Sygic was the preferred nav for this unit, so I acquired a trial copy off a nav forum, and installed it. I tried to crack it from a trial version to a full version and couldn't do it. That's when I started working with SZ on it. Because he's in Australia and I'm in US, troubleshooting took a long time with these 24hr turn-arounds to try each test. I downloaded Sygic Assistant, pointed it at my GPS card, and upgraded my maps to 2015 for $40. I figured this would cure my activation issue; it didn't. Eventually SZ got it figured out. Oh, and I had to use the supplied GPS antenna because I couldn't get the VW shark fin to work. I just routed the antenna through the dash, up the A-pillar and along the head liner and used strong double sided tape to adhere it the windshield just above the rearview.

Here's the take away from my brief experience: buy the DNS811 new from SZ and pay $70 for Sygic with NAM maps. Don't cut corners like me lol.

Bluetooth calling is ok, but I can't get it to download my call history or phonebook. I haven't tried BT streaming media but I'm guessing it won't be good and I'll never use it for anything other than streaming a sports broadcast or something. Oh, I want to say none of the steering wheel buttons or ceiling console buttons do anything for BT on this stereo and the DNS does nothing for the MFD in this regard. So, in terms of BT, the DNS is pretty disappointing when compared to what I had stock on the VW. That said, its a trade off I knew ahead of time.

Canbus metrics are cool. Found those today but I don't think you can customize which ones are displayed. That sucks if that's the case. Would be nice if they add more possibilities (EGT & Boost) with a firmware/canbus update.

Runs movies off the microSD & DVD's no problem.

I don't have the screen mirroring cable so I don't have any input on that functionality. Same goes for iPhone/iPod and USB. I do know screen mirroring only goes one way, in other words you can't interact with the phone by touching the DNS811 screen... and until then I won't care about that functionality.

The AM/FM is awesome. microSD for music is awesome (fast, looks OEM). Sounds better than the RCD for sure!

Unfortunately, I don't have much useful information to report on this thing yet and I don't know that I will as I don't know if I'll do anything else with it (mirroring, usb, ipod, sub, rv camera). I might do the rear view camera but that's at the bottom of my list right. I don't really care for them. I'm old school (still use mirrors lol).

I am CDN Josh

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG, 2015 MB GLK250
Subscribing to this build thread since you're local. I'm kicking around the idea of doing similar mods to my jsw. I'd love to get a ride in your car after you get the delete done and stg 2 installed.