www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVII-Mk7 Golf family including Golf Wagon (~ 2015 +)

VW MKVII-Mk7 Golf family including Golf Wagon (~ 2015 +) Discussions area for the Mk7 (2015+) Golf and Golf Wagon TDIs based on the MQB (Modularer Querbaukasten) platform.

Old January 6th, 2015, 14:31   #46
Callipygian

Curious, twice now I've had the cel come on when I start the car after it had cooled down from being interrupted (turned off) in a regen. Is this common?
Callipygian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2015, 14:42   #47
Matt927
Veteran Member

TDI(s): several

Is the CEL remaining on?
Matt927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2015, 06:49   #48
Callipygian

It seems until a regen is able to be completed. I may have shorted 2 consecutive attempts to regen. Its 15f outside and I only have a 15min ride to work. This is the second time it has happened, first time it went away after a 20mi trip, this time I haven't had a chance to go anywhere other than work/home yet so it is still on this morning.

Side note on warming up this engine, last night when I got home temp was at about 180 so I sat at idle to see if it would continue to climb, but it actually dropped down to about 170 after 10 minutes. It was 10 outside. Is this to be expected?
Old January 7th, 2015, 07:05   #49
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callipygian View Post
It seems until a regen is able to be completed. I may have shorted 2 consecutive attempts to regen. Its 15f outside and I only have a 15min ride to work. This is the second time it has happened, first time it went away after a 20mi trip, this time I haven't had a chance to go anywhere other than work/home yet so it is still on this morning.

Side note on warming up this engine, last night when I got home temp was at about 180 so I sat at idle to see if it would continue to climb, but it actually dropped down to about 170 after 10 minutes. It was 10 outside. Is this to be expected?
Take the long way home (another 5 miles should be enough to complete the regen) or just let it idle in your driveway or the parking lot at work until it has finished.

It is normal for the cabin heater to suck more heat out of the cooling system than the engine can produce at idle.
Old January 7th, 2015, 07:08   #50
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

Diesels, in general, do not produce heat at idle. You need to be driving to produce heat. So sitting in the drive with the car running and watching the temp gage go down would be normal.

You should probably find a guru or at least someone with a Vag-Com near you so you can pull the codes for the CEL. most autoparts stores will do it but they won't be able to tell you the same level of information. Sometimes their readers won't even give you the correct info on the VWs. Check out www.Ross-Tech.com for greater details on the Vag-Com
Old January 9th, 2015, 06:41   #51
Callipygian

Day three of engine light being on the attention warning light came on with a notification that adblue is low engine will not start in 600mi. (Car only has 3000mi)
Dealer diagnosed as faulty adblue controller/regulator and the part is on order under warranty.

As long as its fixed and adblue refilled by next wed (300mi work trip) then I can accept this as a risk taken when buying a first year redesigned vehicle.
Old January 9th, 2015, 07:37   #52
JASONP
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 4.5l/100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callipygian View Post
Day three of engine light being on the attention warning light came on with a notification that adblue is low engine will not start in 600mi. (Car only has 3000mi)
Dealer diagnosed as faulty adblue controller/regulator and the part is on order under warranty.

As long as its fixed and adblue refilled by next wed (300mi work trip) then I can accept this as a risk taken when buying a first year redesigned vehicle.
This issue has been brought up in the mk7 forum within the last 2 months a little more reading on your part should give you the answer you need.
Also this isn't the 1st year of production for this model , it's been out know in Europe for well over a year, this is the first year for us in NA.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Golf_Mk7

It's covered under warranty so no big deal other than your time.
Heed the warnings that pop up in your instrument cluster if you've never owned a VW before.
If you're worried the car won't start due to low ADBlue before the dealer visit then just fill it up.
Good luck

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
Old January 10th, 2015, 06:21   #53
Callipygian

While I'm waiting for the part to arrive the cel and adblu lights have gone away. Temperatures outside have also gone up from single digits and teens up into the high 20s, first cel was also during the first big freeze we had. Seems temp related.

Thanks for the advice. You're correct. Buying a vw I should have been better prepared to spend more time researching whats wrong with my new car and reading seemingly endless volumes of forum posts about quality issues in between scheduling trips to the dealer.
Old January 10th, 2015, 06:34   #54
andyrooski17
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyrooski17 View Post
As posted in a different thread on this forum, I am the second to see what appears to be crystallized urea from a small leak, so I wanted to include it in this sticky thread.

This is apparently the DEF injector port, which is located adjacent to the north-west corner of the engine cover (when viewed standing in front of the car).

WiszMaster, who first noted this, had his DEF injector port and feed hose replaced around 12/5. He hasn't yet reported whether the problem is gone or not.

I'm not sure as to the severity of this problem, but I'll be calling my dealer tomorrow to see what they say and hopefully have it addressed. I will report back on my experience. I would encourage everyone else with a Mk7 to check their cars.
Took the car to the dealer on 12/19 (Wellesley VW in MA). They confirmed that yes it was the AdBlue injector, that it was faulty and needed to be replaced. The part had to be ordered, but they let me keep driving it for a month, so they must not have been horribly concerned. Anyhow, I took it in for the scheduled replacement appointment yesterday. The job ended up being somewhat long; I left it around 8 am and got a call at 12 saying it was done.

All under warranty, no cost, etc., they may have also added some coolant...

I'll keep my eyes peeled for further leakage and crystallization and report back if anything comes up. I would again encourage everyone else to check their cars for this issue, as it's not very obvious unless you are looking very carefully. Pictures can be found on my previous post in this thread, as well as an older thread "Something Leaking..."
Old January 10th, 2015, 09:53   #55
Matt927
Veteran Member

Do you have part numbers on what exactly was replaced?
Old January 10th, 2015, 10:04   #56
andyrooski17
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt927 View Post
Do you have part numbers on what exactly was replaced?
04L-131-113-G Description: "Valve"
04L-253-725-C Description: "Clip"
G-013-A8J-1G Description: "Cool.Add."
Old January 10th, 2015, 16:52   #57
Q400Pylot

Check my thread there appears to be some cold weather faults with this car. I urge everyone to post their experiences here and in their own threads whenever something pops up so we can see if there is any long term cold weather problems.
Q400Pylot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2015, 16:07   #58
TurnOne
Veteran Member

I have trouble opening fuel door when it's cold outside.
I also get a light ticking sound when I live the climate control in full auto mode with the heat on. Moving vent discharge to floor or forward facing vents immediately eliminates the sound.

TurnOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2015, 09:47   #59
Callipygian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnOne View Post
I have trouble opening fuel door when it's cold outside.
I also get a light ticking sound when I live the climate control in full auto mode with the heat on. Moving vent discharge to floor or forward facing vents immediately eliminates the sound.
Mine is at the dealer now getting "adblue" controller fixed, haven't seen paperwork with specifics yet. It appears to be cold weather related since the cel and adblue warnings only happened when below 20f.
Also, when climate control is on I can hear a constant whirring sound coming from the upper vents, like a slightly sqeaky wheel that needs grease. I'm afraid to tell the dealer about it because I'm afraid things will only get worse if they pull the dash apart.
Old January 12th, 2015, 10:44   #60
Matt927
Veteran Member

The heater blower should be easily accessible in the passenger footwell.