FIXED! Trunk opening...

goodysgotacuda

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 Goft TDI/6spd & Jetta TDI/DSG
Maxed mine out initially, so far..much better! Using vice grips on the spring makes it a little easier.

pitmang1

TDI
2011 Jetta
Finally got around to doing this. Middle holes on both sides did nothing, but I stretched one all the way and it's perfect. It was kinda embarrassing when it just opened a quarter inch. Especially next to somebody else's MkV

TDIadvocate

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
Trunk lid opening clarification

Sorry for this specific question but 3rd: Move spring to a tighter location. I moved both of mine all the way back. You can fiddle around and see at what point your trunk will open for you. I chose the farthest back because I often have to open my trunk on a hill.

What do you mean by moved both of mine all the way back ? I only found one spring, and moved it to where you did and my trunk lid still does not go up, only a couple of inches ?

TDIadvocate

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
Lid Opening tip

To anyone not having success with moving spring to second hole, there are two springs, left and right side. From previous comments it was not obvious that there are two springs, tip off was latest tip and words "both of them". Also I have a suspicion that the problem is experienced by the addition of the lid spoiler as an option and second or third hole is needed. Although I tried all combinations the second hole works adequately, lid raises slowly but all the way, whereas using the third holes results in the lid rising to the vertical position in a more deliberate way.

Engineers<3Diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 VW Jetta TDI
Also note this does appear to be temperature dependant. I had middle holes on mine with spoiler and it works great in any temps above 50F. Under 50F and it is hit or miss.

Swodi

TDI
2012 Jetta Sedan
I did this when I had the trunk apart for hitch wiring install. Moved the spring to the middle hole and it works beautifully.

Thanks for the tip!

joetdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2-2002 Jettas W/Auto
Put some good lube on both hinges, as this will also stop the trunk from opening. Sometimes paint gets in there in the paint process and it doesn't work so well.

spanky1

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2012, platinum grey(6-spd manual)
Bought a 2012 CPO a few months ago. Trunk lid wouldn't stay open. Had a few other issues, so I took it to the dealer under the new 24-mth CPO warranty. They had to replace the strut. Now, when I pop the trunk, the lid goes open on it's own. Not sure if there's only 1 strut or if there's 2.

Part# is 5C6-827-550-A