Interior lights dead, not the door switch

dklopfer

TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG
All my Interior/cabin lights are dead?!

Newbie here. Just sold my Passat gasser ('03 W8 Wagon) and picked up a used TDI. (goodbye passatworld & w8forums and big hello to everyone at TDIClub Forums!). It is a different auto that is for sure!

I've done some thread searching but couldn't find anything related to this issue:

Problem: None of my interior lights come on
- No drivers Dome Light
- No Rear passanger dome Lights
- No Driver or Passanger makeup mirror lights
- No Door lights.
- No Trunk Lights either

Other Info:
- Central Locking works great
- All fuses check out ok
- Doesn't matter what door is open or closed
- Dome switch positions don't do anything
- All the bulbs check out ok
- Instrument cluster and console lights work just fine.

Haven't checked the license plate light, not sure if its relevant
No error codes come up on the Vag-com.

Anyone had this issue before? And suggestions on where I hould start hunting? Would it be a wiring short someplace?

Cheers

2006 Jetta TDI GL Wagon 5sp (canadian MKIV PD)

Last edited:

dklopfer

TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG
I just checked, and fuse #38 is fine.

Does anyone have access to a wiring diagram or know if there is a specific wiring harness or connector relating to the interior lights?
And is it connected to/controlled by a ccm module?

(On my Passat there was a comfort control module under the drivers side carpet). Is there one on the Jetta, and how easy is it to get at?

Or any suggestions on where I can look to dig up that info would be appreciated.

Cheers

Last edited:

dklopfer

TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG
Ok, been digging on forums everywhere.

I found on a german forum, a person with a similar issue with his Golf MKIV, it was a faulty connection, apparently a cable plugged into the comfort control module. A blue colored connector.
http://www.golf4.de/elektronik-tacho-alarmanlagen-zv/36748-innenraumbeleuchtung-golf-4-a.html

Found a wiring diagram on a UK MKIV site, not sure if it is relevant for me: http://uk-mkivs.net/forums/t/266823.aspx

Is the comfort control module under the steering wheel? Easy to get at? Any writeups on it anywhere?

If anyone has any info please chime in, I just want to get a bit more knowledge into my head before I start taking things apart :)

Last edited:
TDI
Beetle
Hi there
Kinda newbee here.
My 2001 TDI beetle's dome light will not work with the drivers door. How can I confrim the switch in the latch is at fault without removing the latch?

TurbineWhine

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2003, Platinum Grey
turn 3 chicago said:
Hi there
Kinda newbee here.
My 2001 TDI beetle's dome light will not work with the drivers door. How can I confrim the switch in the latch is at fault without removing the latch?

If it works with the passenger's door, it is the door latch module.

TW

Demon_Beetle

TDI
98 NB TDI,04 Golf TDI,15 Golf TDI
Having same problem in 05 Passat. Haven't had time to scope it out yet. What year and model do you have? Will try to post pic of specs for what you have.

TDI
Beetle
I have a 2001 Beetle GLS TDI with 170,000 miles. I would like to confrim it is the door latch before replacing it. The local stealer first quoted 184.00 for the latch and then I asked for the "Jobber" price and he lowered it to 144.62. I could not find a new one on-line and don't want to try and repair it.
It's not really a big deal to me not having the light go on when the door opens but the wife and the alarm don't get along too well with the current setup. I don't understand what comes up after entering the vehicle that you can't turn the key on before the alarm sounds (again). Maybe I could get her to enter through the passanger side...........The 144.62 is starting to sound like a Deal.
Anyway, thanks for the help

Demon_Beetle

TDI
So you are having more than just the lights? My problem is just the lights. I had the trunk latch completely stop working about a year ago. Wouldn't even open with the emergency latch inside trunk. Warranty repair. When I was having that problem, the alarm was flaky. But not now with this problem.

Demon_Beetle

TDI
Demon_Beetle said:
So you are having more than just the lights?
turn 3 chicago said:
I have a 2001 Beetle GLS TDI with 170,000 miles. I would like to confrim it is the door latch before replacing it. ... the wife and the alarm don't get along too well with the current setup.
Ok, got you and DK (The Original Post) mixed up.

dklopfer

TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG
A update for what it is worth.

I had attempted to take the panels off, but couldn't get the left side off. And from a past ugly clip-breaking incident (a few vehicles ago) I kind of gave up for that attempt.

So after a bit of a hiatus from tinkering with the car, I took it to the local VW dealer (Oakville VW) for a oil change etc, and had them look at the problem. The mechanic wrote on the report that he had tested the wiring and found there was no signal coming from the CCM on the pin/connector for the interior lights and that it was a faulty CCM module. Quoted $500 replacement.

So a bit of a eBay search, and some cross checking of parts I ordered a 1C0 959 799C CCM module, and thankfully it was the right one.

This time I had no issues getting the panels off under the dash, the trick is to first pop the fuse panel compartment cover off first (it just clips in). Then removing the screws etc. Take the left panel off, then the right panel off.
Then there is a metal bracket, remove that. And voila.

So I changed the CCM module, and still no interior lights. Also my remotes didn't work, but fortunately they are easy to reprogram according to the owners manual (or a google search, since my manual is in french canadian, sacre bleu!).

So it isn't the CCM, back to pointing my finger at the wiring. Which, I will look at again another day (or try the dealer again).

Unless anyone has another suggestions?

Cheers

P.S. Anyone need a CCM module for a late model MKIV Jetta TDI Wagon?

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
"Dome switch positions don't do anything"

Dome switch defective? Unplugged?

dklopfer

TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG
MOGolf said:
"Dome switch positions don't do anything"

Dome switch defective? Unplugged?
Tried all the Dome light positions.

- No drivers Dome Light
- No Rear passanger dome Lights
- No Driver or Passanger makeup mirror lights
- No Door lights.
- No Trunk Lights either

But the power locks, central locking system, power windows, radio, and lighter jack, all work fine.

dklopfer

TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG

Ok, I went to do a little checking, and according to the schematic I found/posted earlier, it should be the blue-grey wire.

Using my voltmeter, I did a continuity test with one lead on the blue-grey cable, and the other against the dome light bulb socket (with the switch in the always on position). It gave a beep, so I am assuming the cable coming from the CCM module jack is ok. (the jack in the above picture).

So it isn't the CCM module, and it doesn't appear to be the cable. Although I should try applying some voltage to the cable (what is it 12V? Can I just run a lead from the lighter jack to test?) and seeing if the interior/door/vanity/trunk/etc lights turn on. I'll putter with that later.

But now I am stumped.

Also, what do these relays/fuses do?

Last edited:

dklopfer

TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG
Ok, I borrowed 12v from the lighter jack and applied it to the blue/grey connector and voila, my passenger interior lights turned on. I also ran it directly to the dome light and it turned on (so it is getting ground, just no positive 12v).

Can anyone suggest what I should check next? I am stumped somewhat.

Note: I found a set of wiring diagrams on a russian site (in english) for a 2000 golf MKIV, hopefully it should be somewhat relevant.
http://volkswagen.msk.ru/electro/wd_g4_00.pdf
On page 31 is the interior lights.

If anyone is somewhat techie, maybe they can give me a hand figuring it out.
Cheers.

Last edited:

vito3223

I am not sure if you are still having this issue?

My 99.5 golf had the same problem. The issue was with the middle relay in the CCM module. Yes if you know how you can take it apart and open up the relay to see if it is actually conducting properly. Mine was clicking but the contact pads were gone. I ended up cleaning the contacts which worked for a while but in the end wiring a new external relay to the CCM was the solution.

On another note, even if you buy a CCM from ebay you have to be careful since you could potentially get a unit with the same problem.

Arctic W. Fox

TDI
2k Passat Wagon
Thread digging...

I found this thread/site while googleing this problem on my 2000 passat.

Mine seemed to be a grounding problem which may have been associated with a squashed wire running to the little alarm LED on the drivers' door.

I tested all the connectors and switches I could find, but once I removed the door panel and moved that wire around, the lights came on and the "open door" chime started again. The little LED light now blinks when the alarm is armed.

I just moved the wire up higher inside the door and taped it.

Hope this helps someone.

Torque_Delight

TDIClub Enthusiast, Modded
TDI
Galactic Blue (LG5V) 2001 Jetta
I have found the problem and I think it might help others...

I found the positive split that spread the wires going to each interior lights component to be very badly corroded. I think this it due to a water leak from the sunroof drains that leaked into the car because there was a good amount of water in the dead pedal corner of the floor carpet.

So here are the pics:
http://www.torquedelight.com/2013-11-27 - Interior lights wiring/

This is where the split is located. Right under the hood handle cover. It's covered with red tape that looks like hockey tape. You gently cut this open to find the +12V split. It's a bunch of Red/Blue wires.

Now a closer view of the wire split here shown with black hockey tape...

And then the OMG portion... I pulled on the black tape and here's what happened.

Every wire is badly corroded to the point that there's no copper left !

I didn't fix it yet but I'm sure that after cutting, skinning, cleaning the wires and welding them back it will work just fine.

I will also look for where that water came from.

Hope this helps

Diesel_Rabbit

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon
no interior lights, windows, locks

Is this thread still alive? To everyone that posted, what was the resolution?

I have an 03 Jetta TDI with no interior lights, windows, locks, sunroof. I examinded the fuses and replaced the CCM, but did not work.

Next is to pull the floor board up to inspect the wires as one poster here indicated.

Any help appreciated!

Tim

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
Next is to pull the floor board up to inspect the wires as one poster here indicated.

Any help appreciated!

Tim
I had the same problem with my 2003 Jetta Wagon, and the pictures in this thread are what led me to the solution...those corroded wires in behind the kick panel by the hood release handle. Mine were all corroded and broken off. That was for all my interior lights. My sunroof wasn't an issue.

And, like many other people you'll find in these threads, I too bought a CCM and didn't have to.

Rem

Torque_Delight

TDIClub Enthusiast, Modded
TDI
Galactic Blue (LG5V) 2001 Jetta
Is this thread still alive? To everyone that posted, what was the resolution?
Well I'm seeing that I never updated this post !

The answer is YES it was the culprit...

Here's what I found when I did open the tape that was holding the wires together:

And here's how I fixed it. I used a heat shrink sealed crimp connector :

And then taped everything back together and reinstalled everything :

I'm glad to hear that my post did help other people finding this annoying issue !

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
The real question is, why is there so much moisture in that spot? I can't believe it's just from your shoes?

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
The real question is, why is there so much moisture in that spot? I can't believe it's just from your shoes?
The fact that these cars leak like spaghetti strainers if they have sunroofs, and leak like half a spaghetti strainer if they don't have one is the first part of the problem...lol.
Second problem is living where you get lots of snow...getting in the car every day, and bringing snow in with you...it all melts and eventually gets into lots of places you don't want it to. The carpet is like a wick, and will soak up a lot of moisture.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
The fact that these cars leak like spaghetti strainers if they have sunroofs, and leak like half a spaghetti strainer if they don't have one is the first part of the problem...lol.
Second problem is living where you get lots of snow...getting in the car every day, and bringing snow in with you...it all melts and eventually gets into lots of places you don't want it to. The carpet is like a wick, and will soak up a lot of moisture.

LOL. I forgot about snow. Also, most people don't replace the cracked and missing stupid plastic plugs under the body (including me). I jacked up my car and 4-6 ounces of water came pouring out of the chase on the driver's side!

Diesel_Rabbit

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon
Thanks for the follow up! I had seen the other photos, but was not sure exactly which set of wires, those under the door panel, ones going vertically up and set coming in from the front. Maybe it varies from car to car.

We've had many feet of snow here and has not been above freezing for months, until recently, so all the snow and ice jammed into every creek and crevis melted down and is when everything went out. Wish I had a heated garage as it has been a tough winter on the car.

Thanks again!

rpaull3

TDI
2000 Jetta GLS TDI
Check fuse #14 first

Make sure you check Fuse #14 first before wasting your time with anything else. It is the 5 amp tiny one.

jerom

TDI
2004 Jetta wagon
First post here, ever.

Done lots of research. And THIS was the culprit! Corroded Red/blue wires behind the hood release latch. Interior lights now work!

Thanks guys!!